Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭budgemook

Fever Ray played last year and wasn't great tbh. The Knife would be amazing though however heir live shows are very few and far between. They don't really like that sort of thing :rolleyes:

They have a new album coming out though so maybe.

Personally I would love to see a return from Israeli rockers Monotonix. Preferably in the inflatable church.

Ain't it a bit early for this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Another band I would love to see at EP is Coldplay.

Too big for the festival so no doubt there is no chance of this happening.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Another band I would love to see at EP is Coldplay.

Too big for the festival so no doubt there is no chance of this happening.

As middle class as EP is....

ewwwwwww.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I know I asked for Bjork for next year but the reports coming back from Bestival dont look too good. I thought her show at EP 2007 was brilliant, just the perfect amount of new and old tracks. The Bestival complaints centre on the fact that she played mostly new material and that she didnt allow the use of screens for close ups and so pissed off the audience at the back. Cant see it affecting EP though as they never use screens anyway. Have to admit that the Underworld show this year benefited from having their show projected onto the sides and probably got the best reaction of the weekend simply because people from the back could see more of the action.

http://www.sundaybest.net/site/forums/viewforum.php?forumId=8&name=Bestival%20Banter&threadStart=15&showthread=11863

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Bowie. I hear he's playing Primavera next year.

Hello pointless list thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The reason metal is rarely at these sort of festivals isn't just that it lacks much in the way of crossover appeal from other genres but that within metal's own sub-genres there isn't a huge amount of crossover appeal. You can have a line up with a black metal band and a gothic metal band and find only about 20% of the people would like both bands and the rest of the world would ask "aren't they the same thing?". It really needs its own festival to be done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

budgemook wrote: »
    Fever Ray played last year and wasn't great tbh.

One of my favourite EP performances ever. Thought it was amazing.
    Next year would probably be too soon but I would welcome them back with open arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

As someone already said on page one, Boards of Canada would be AMAZING!

But they will never play, last gig they did was in 2001/2 or something, but they would be perfect for EP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Plenty of festivals across Europe mange to mix metal/Hard Rock with all other genres
    Pukkelpop
    Pinkpop
    Rock Am Ring etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

pukkelpop...metal??? maybe a dash of hard rock, but very mainstream... like 2010... the heaviest was probably danko jones.... which i'd border on pop imo.

rock am is not a mixed festival, its focused on rock acts... its not a boutique festival

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

pukkelpop...metal??? maybe a dash of hard rock, but very mainstream... like 2010... the heaviest was probably danko jones.... which i'd border on pop imo.

rock am is not a mixed festival, its focused on rock acts... its not a boutique festival

Just had a quick glance over Pukkelpop 2010 and seen Iron Maiden and Gojira in the line up

Yes Rock Am Ring is Rock focused but has a very decent mixture of other genres in there over the years, take a look at the line up since it has began...Robbie Williams has played it :D

I'm not even sure if EP should have much metal but a sprinkle couldn't be bad...wouldn't mind some Deftones :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Pukkelpop has booked Iron Maiden, Meshuggah, Nightwish, Fear Factory, Ministry and Tool to name a handful so they do do their bit to incorporate some metal. Roskilde and Sziget are another two examples.

Metal at EP? As much as I would be down with it I don't know how much of a popular move that would be. I don't think a designated stage is a good idea but perhaps booking one or two acts on the heavier side of things? I can see it now: Opeth headlining the Electric Arena. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

lordgoat wrote: »
    Hello pointless list thread.

Quoted for emphasis.

Will this thread be bumped every day for a year with peoples wild fantasies? We've this, Oxegen and Slane all for 2012 already.
    Its a year away like, no one involved even has any idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Beekay wrote: »
    I'm not even sure if EP should have much metal but a sprinkle couldn't be bad...wouldn't mind some Deftones :D
    i agree, i'm pretty much a pure indie/'electronica' head, but a couple of harder rock/metal acts wouldn't be unwelcome.
    i'd love to see Deftones over here too, they were playing around Europe when EP was on, and i think they would have got a good crowd in a tent in the late evening/early night at EP.
    there were actually a lot of acts playing Reading/Leeds and Bestival (each on the weekends either side of EP), which would gone down well IMO, but weren't booked for whatever reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.87

nm wrote: »
    Quoted for emphasis.

Will this thread be bumped every day for a year with peoples wild fantasies? We've this, Oxegen and Slane all for 2012 already.
    Its a year away like, no one involved even has any idea.

No one involved has any idea? Pffft of course they do its just early days for them to announce it i'd imagine? The reason I put this up as I am used to attending metal festivals and normally they get the fans psyched up with an announcement 8, 9, 10, 11 months before hand depends on the festival.

Not sure would a whole m,etal tent work, Id love it but not sure would it work. Anyway there are so many irish metal bands that would be class in the line up through out the day to headbang along too. And also a lot of stuff which isn't as heavy and would tick boxes in other genres.

Would not mind getting this guy for the Little Big Tent again, I was probably watching Madness and then 2ManyDJs on the main stage when this guy was frying minds at the 2009 Electric Picnic. Duke Dumont, serious head wrecking electro, which I looooooove.

http://soundcloud.com/dukedumont/sets/duke-dumont-live-electric-picnic-ireland-sept-09/

Would love to see them at the Picnic again, Iggy Pop and the Stooges. Listen to their mad set from 2007 EP, my favourite highlight of all the Picnics.
    http://soundcloud.com/korrrrrr/iggy-pop-the-stooges-electric

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Anyone ever check out the comedy at EP? Always meant to tip on down, but kind of get caught up with the music (and the fun fair if I'm honest!).

Wonder if this is an area that will grow in the future.....would love to see Dylan Moran down at EP 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Predictions anyone?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Anyone think EP might nab Stone Roses? Kinda like Pulp this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

I hope so.. id say they'd be lost on the majority of the oxegen crowd.
    you couldn't ask for a band more suited to the picnic than the stone roses and if oxegen doesn't go ahead next year ep could get a lot of acts that would have played oxegen so there could be a serious line up for ep next year.. but we'll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Doinker

I hope so.. id say they'd be lost on the majority of the oxegen crowd.
    you couldn't ask for a band more suited to the picnic than the stone roses and if oxegen doesn't go ahead next year ep could get a lot of acts that would have played oxegen so there could be a serious line up for ep next year.. but we'll just have to wait and see.

And on the flip side you'd also get a lot of the oxegen crowd going to EP for their festival camping fix. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The view seems to be that Stone Roses will sell out Slane. I'm not sure. That means that they are an 80,000 arena band (or somewhere between the 35,000 capacity of EP and 80,000).

The main arena in Oxegen can hold 80,000. So I suspect if that the Roses come here it's going to be at a large capacity event - either their own show or a large festival.

Stone Roses and a typical EP band? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Well the cynic in me says that Stone Roses are touring for the massive pay day. Logic dictates that they will get paid more from headlining the bigger festivals. They have already signed up for T in the Park, massive festival in UK, so Oxegen would have seemed the likeliest one over here.

If Oxegen doesn't happen next year - and plenty of rumours that it won't, at least in it's previous format - then perhaps EP can pick up the bigger acts as mentioned. This is a tricky one for the EP promoters because they have carved themselves a nice niche as a festival for the slightly older crowd with less of the scummers who can ruin Oxegen for the majority of people who are just down to have fun.

Personally I would love the Oxegen headliners with the EP crowd, but then a mate made the valid point that, that just wouldn't suit EP.......

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

EP couldn't afford half the acts from Oxegen! Also because EP is in September most the scumbags are either skint or gone of elsewhere!

Stone roses are playing T in the Park, which normally is on the same weekend as Oxegen but seen as MCD aren't saying anything bout Oxegen we can't have a good guess at it just yet.

Stone Roses will play anywhere who will give them the most amount of money

Stone Roses will play anywhere who will give them the most amount of money

True. But a promoter won't put them in Slane if they're playing oxegen.

lordgoat wrote: »
    True. But a promoter won't put them in Slane if they're playing oxegen.

Oh yea i know it will one or the other . Im just still not sold that Stone Roses could pull off a sell out Slane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the Stone Roses aren't playing EP, as they're playing an MCD event in July (either Oxegen, or whatever is replacing Oxegen), according to Jim Carroll:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2011/11/08/time-for-some-summer-festival-2012-speculation/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement