Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Latest additions to #2012EP! Patti Smith; Richard Hawley; Crystal Castles; SBTRKT; Grandaddy; Squarepusher; The Maccabees; Gavin Friday; Van Dyke Parks; Michael Kiwanuka; The Jezabels; Dublin Gospel Choir; Eagle And The Worm; In Tua Nua & many more to be announced.

Some good additions. No Bombay Bicycle Club or Bon Iver though. Starting to lose hope. At this stage it's only a reasonable line up.
    Grandaddy and Squarepusher are great, but I other than those that's a really underwhelming announcement. But there's still plenty of time yet for more announcements so I still have my fingers crossed.

Regarding the price of tickets it will certainly be more than worth it if The Cure and Sigur Ros pull off something epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Have to say I am fairly happy with that announcement. SBTRKT and Squarepusher and Cyrstal Castles plus we are still only talking about half the acts. Body and Soul and Little big tent still to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

Latest additions to #2012EP! Patti Smith; Richard Hawley; Crystal Castles; SBTRKT; Grandaddy; Squarepusher; The Maccabees; Gavin Friday; Van Dyke Parks; Michael Kiwanuka; The Jezabels; Dublin Gospel Choir; Eagle And The Worm; In Tua Nua & many more to be announced.[...]
    I don't know any of these artists. :(

Why are Irish promoters never booking Molotov? They are touring Europe this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hibsman

Saw the maccabees recently in Edinburgh, really good gig. Excellent new album, last one was even better. Looking forward to Crystal Castles as haven't seem them yet. Overall I'm happy with line up so far and I'm sure there are some good additions still to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DDDDDeannnnn

No Tupac Hologram?????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

No Tupac Hologram?????????

depends what you are on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

nocoverart wrote: »
    I do like a bit of Venetian Snares, but on a quiet night in with headphones and a few spliffs.
    Were you having a bit of a smoke today, man? I don't see anything about Venetian Snares, nor any of his aliases.

Really deflated after this, considering how pleased I was with the initial lineup. Crystal Castles ans SBTRKT are the only two I'm interested in: SBTRKT had self-confirmed about a month ago, and I thought CC were already on the bill for some reason, so no joy there. Seriously considering trying to gather some funds/mates and heading over to BLOC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Were you having a bit of a smoke today, man? I don't see anything about Venetian Snares, nor any of his aliases.

Really deflated after this, considering how pleased I was with the initial lineup. Crystal Castles ans SBTRKT are the only two I'm interested in: SBTRKT had self-confirmed about a month ago, and I thought CC were already on the bill for some reason, so no joy there. Seriously considering trying to gather some funds/mates and heading over to BLOC...
    SBTRKT are also playing the Academy in a few weeks (which isn't sold out), after playing here last December.
    Crystal Castles played Oxegen last summer, the Academy the previous October, and EP the month before that. so this will be their 4th gig here in 2 years.
    i like both of them, but i'd much prefer to see acts who haven't been here several times recently.

depending on the next Body and Soul fest announcements, i might do that instead of EP this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Pace2008 wrote: »

LOL! I meant Squarepusher... I'm Always get them two mixed up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

S
    depending on the next Body and Soul fest announcements, i might do that instead of EP this year...

Snap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

lordgoat wrote: »
    Snap.

Why not go to both? I've got my Forbidden Fruit and Body and Soul ticket but havn't bought an EP one yet. It's nearly double the price of both of them and not a great lineup but I'll probably go, great way to end the Summer.

Why not go to both? I've got my Forbidden Fruit and Body and Soul ticket but havn't bought an EP one yet. It's nearly double the price of both of them and not a great lineup but I'll probably go, great way to end the Summer.

EP isn't worth it basically. Look at some of the euro festivals, i'm going to Primavera where the ticket price was E110, flights were 70, sure accomodation will bump the price beyond EP (not by a hell of a lot) but the line up kicks the **** out of EP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

EP isn't worth it basically. Look at some of the euro festivals, i'm going to Primavera where the ticket price was E110, flights were 70, sure accomodation will bump the price beyond EP (not by a hell of a lot) but the line up kicks the **** out of EP.

....and you get to sleep in a bed in a great city with great weather.

Primavera is a brilliant festival, was there the past 2 years, great line up, location and value for money even including flights and accommodation. Can't justify it this year as going to the Euros but would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

hibsman wrote: »
    Primavera is a brilliant festival, was there the past 2 years, great line up, location and value for money even including flights and accommodation. Can't justify it this year as going to the Euros but would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of going.

Yeah I'd go if it wasn't the same weekend as Forbidden Fruit.

hibsman wrote: »

Yeah I'd go if it wasn't the same weekend as Forbidden Fruit.
    Forbidden Fruit looks very good too in fairness, hadn't realised it was same weekend as Primavera. Sure we are spoilt for choice!

Get back early enough on the monday to make it to FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I don't think it is fair to compare EP and Primavera. Primavera is a very pure music festival which concentrates on doing that one thing good. EP is more of an arts festival which has a lot of side stuff that there is no equivalent to in Primavera.

Right now the current Primavera tickets are priced the same as the EP early bird tickets were so the price difference in the festivals is a lot narrower than it used to be. I love Primavera and I'm not sure if EP will ever regain the esteem I held it in back in the late 00's but using Primavera as a measuring stick for what EP should be delivering is wrong.

because as much as i'd love to go to every festival going, i don't own a money tree :p

Toast wrote: »
    I don't think it is fair to compare EP and Primavera. Primavera is a very pure music festival which concentrates on doing that one thing good. EP is more of an arts festival which has a lot of side stuff that there is no equivalent to in Primavera.

Right now the current Primavera tickets are priced the same as the EP early bird tickets were so the price difference in the festivals is a lot narrower than it used to be. I love Primavera and I'm not sure if EP will ever regain the esteem I held it in back in the late 00's but using Primavera as a measuring stick for what EP should be delivering is wrong.
    well i guess that boils down to what you want from a festival.
    personally, i'd love if EP was more like Primavera.
    I really couldn't care less about drama performances, a circus, Ryan Tubridy debating the future of the media, Darina Allen cookery classes, or whatever other non-music nonsense the ticket money goes to funding. There's plenty of people that enjoy that stuff and pretty much go to EP for it as they've no interest in the music, but I really only care about the music side of it.
    as such, it's a decent comparison for my situation anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Sure if you are making your own personal decision to go that's fair enough. I'd go to Primavera too if I had to choose.

I guess my point was EP isn't Primavera though and will never be. They'll never have the ability to match it for price and lineup without fundamentally changing what EP is which won't happen.

Forbidden Fruit on the other hand appears to be making some sort of effort to offer a Primavera-ish experience in Dublin and as a city festival with out camping is a far more fair comparison. Even then the realities of Dublin v Barcelona regards facilities, venues, licensing laws and just plain expense mean Primavera will still always win but that doesn't mean FF can't offer something at least in the same ballpark for people craving Primavera in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

SBTRKT are also playing the Academy in a few weeks (which isn't sold out), after playing here last December.
    Crystal Castles played Oxegen last summer, the Academy the previous October, and EP the month before that. so this will be their 4th gig here in 2 years.
    i like both of them, but i'd much prefer to see acts who haven't been here several times recently.
    Well I'm looking at it from a selfish point of view, I guess. I haven't seen CC yet and I avoid The Academy if at all possible. I do agree that booking a fairly big act that have done the Irish festival circuit several times in recent years is very uninspiring stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hot Press:
    It’s welcome back to In Tua Nua who kick-off their reunion with a September 1 appearance at the Electric Picnic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

As always the EP line-up tempts me but the price is shocking. Is there any word on what the schedule is? Particularly who's playing on the Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Was just having a skim over the lineup again and for a moment misread Little Roy as Little Joy and got very excited :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Reekwind wrote: »
    As always the EP line-up tempts me but the price is shocking. Is there any word on what the schedule is? Particularly who's playing on the Sunday?

http://forum.electricpicnic.ie/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19946

Friday

Sigur Ros
    The Horrors
    The Maccabees
    Azelia Banks
    Alabama Shakes
    Roots Manuva
    Christy Moore
    The Jezabels

Saturday

Orbital
    The Cure
    Cranes
    Grandaddy
    Michael Kiwanuka
    In Tua Nua

Sunday

The Killers
    Elbow
    Hot Chip
    Lanterns On The Lake
    Crystal Castles
    Dublin Gospel Choir

I wonder will they sell Sunday tickets again with the Killers headlining that day?

On another note....

PATTI SMITH! Saw her in Primevera a couple of years ago, not really hearing her stuff before. She was f*cking incredible and one of the highlights of the festival for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

They were always selling tickets for Sunday did the same last year.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Electric-Picnic-tickets/artist/30690

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

The general theme of this thread is how poor the lineup is.

I really don't see it myself....

Lots of quality acts on the bill, certainly on a par with last year especially given that there's still a lot to be announced yet...

I can't wait to see....

Sigur Ros*
    Grizzly Bear*
    The Cure
    Christy Moore*
    SBTRKT
    Squarepusher
    Crystal Castles*
    Metronomy
    Tindersticks*

* I've seen them before, and I don't mind seeing them again

.... and there's more I'm happy about, those are just the ones that particularly get the blood pumping.

I get the complaints about acts that have played Ireland recently, but then I don't particularly remember an outcry about Arcade Fire being booked for last year altho they had certainly been around the Irish block quite a bit beforehand....

When did Sigur Ros or The Cure last play Ireland? Not that recently...

Rather than griping about the EP line-up, we should be celebrating the fantastic line-up for Forbidden Fruit, and hoping Body and Soul continues to build its rep as well - great to see Spiritualised added to that bill today.

From where I sit, the hardest question to answer is which one to go to as they all look good....

I say try to get to all 3 I mentioned if you can - there's a lot of quality in each of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Rather than griping about the EP line-up, we should be celebrating the fantastic line-up for Forbidden Fruit, and hoping Body and Soul continues to build its rep as well - great to see Spiritualised added to that bill today.

From where I sit, the hardest question to answer is which one to go to as they all look good....

I say try to get to all 3 I mentioned if you can - there's a lot of quality in each of them

A mix of all 3 would be great :pac:
    If B&S & FF were not on then the EP line-up might be better.
    Would have liked M83 & Django Django in the B&S arena at EP.
    But there are some good acts already on the line-up + "many more to be announced".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement