Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The general theme of this thread is how poor the lineup is.

This is always the theme of the EP thread from 2006 onwards. Tickets are pricey so people want a return on investment.. the problem is that the promoters are trying to appeal to everyone to get as many people to buy them. This usually leads to a lot of people getting only a few bands they want on paper. Also when another festival nicks an act people want at this festival it is seen as a failure by the EP promoters to get them.

In the end it usually isn't all that bad when the festival comes around but we need something to do to fill the time between now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think theres a lot of choice on the bill this year, would like to see The Cure, Sigur Ros, Patti Smith, Squarepusher, SBTRKT, BFL, Roots Manuva and there is quite a few there I dont know so some discoveries to be made AND thats only the second announcement so far, there is gonna be loads more.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Anyone think there should be a greater spread of genres on display?

Not too much variety in my opinion.

No metal acts for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

There has never been metal at EP (the closest they got was ASIWFA). It is a dance festival with indie rock leanings. To contradict what I said above about them trying to do a bit for everyone they've usually stuck to the same style of music since they started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Toast wrote: »
    There has never been metal at EP (the closest they got was ASIWFA). It is a dance festival with indie rock leanings. To contradict what I said above about them trying to do a bit for everyone they've usually stuck to the same style of music since they started.

Dont forget Iggy Pop and the Stooges Sunday EP 2007, although Iggy could come under indie, garage and punk too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

flyswatter wrote: »
    Anyone think there should be a greater spread of genres on display?

Not too much variety in my opinion.

No metal acts for one.

Well like what? It's an indie music festival. Indie is a very dispersed genre as it is.

And as for metal? Yeah I can just see Slayer and Cannibal Corpse opening for The Cure - Get outta it will ye!

I really couldn't care less about drama performances, a circus, Ryan Tubridy debating the future of the media, Darina Allen cookery classes, or whatever other non-music nonsense the ticket money goes to funding. There's plenty of people that enjoy that stuff and pretty much go to EP for it as they've no interest in the music, but I really only care about the music side of it.
    as such, it's a decent comparison for my situation anyway...

That's personal choice. I'm not much interested in the Ryan Tubz sessions or cookery classes either... The mindfield area bored me a bit but the Hot Press tent and Science tent with Irvine Welsh making a speech was good there. And the wine bar.
    I do love the art at it. The art trails, body and soul, pianos in the field, random crap like that made a good portion of my weekend! I got up early in the morning to see that stuff whacked off my face. It all adds a nice athmosphere and you can't deny that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

And as for metal? Yeah I can just see Slayer and Cannibal Corpse opening for The Cure - Get outta it will ye!

There's more than five stages at EP?

honru wrote: »

There's more than five stages at EP?

Its not Market targeted towards that audience though. Like I'd love to see mastodon play at it, but not a chance. I don't want to be that know-it-all dick about this stuff, but as I said it's not that type of festival and you can see that in their trend of line ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Toast wrote: »

It's seriously lacking in decent dance music this year though, aside from a few names. Hopefully they'll announce some decent acts for the Little Big Tent soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Grimes added to the saturday lineup

http://4ad.com/artists/grimes/live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Nice one was disappointed that I was missing her at Forbidden Fruit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Well like what? It's an indie music festival. Indie is a very dispersed genre as it is.

Motorhead anyone?? You know you be at that sh1t...

Also are My Bloody Valentine 'metal'? They played EP (and twas epic)

Also whats the attraction with SBTRKT - caught 10 mins at Coachella and walked out embarrassed to be a fellow Brit. Thought he/they were fking woeful, dude can't sing a note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

MBV are not metal. Loud as hell, but in no way shape or form are they a metal band.

I think some metal bands do have a place on the Electric Pincic lineup. They would t look out of place and people would enjoy them, for example Mastodon, Tool, Cynic, Deftones, Isis, A Perfect Circle or Faith No More. And that's not including some of the hardcore punk acts that people here are already hoping for like At The Drive In and Refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

I've had that Oblivion song constantly in my head since I heard it a few weeks ago. Might go along for a revenge killing

....Or to bop like a madman cuz I quite like the album :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LisaC251

Cant's wait to see her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Ugh.Im.Clashing

Looks like Azealia Banks might be out of the line-up now... http://thefourohfive.com/news/article/azealia-banks-cancels-festival-plans

No sign of EP in her tour dates: http://azealiabanks.com/news

MadsL wrote: »
    .Also are My Bloody Valentine 'metal'? They played EP (and twas epic)

Also whats the attraction with SBTRKT - caught 10 mins at Coachella and walked out embarrassed to be a fellow Brit. Thought he/they were fking woeful, dude can't sing a note.

My Bloody Valentine are very loud, but not metal...

"to be a fellow Brit" - Dear lord give me patience. Yeah I'd like to see you up there and control the crowd like they did. Good on ye' man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Looks like Azealia Banks might be out of the line-up now... http://thefourohfive.com/news/article/azealia-banks-cancels-festival-plans

No sign of EP in her tour dates: http://azealiabanks.com/news

Yea she has cancelled the majority of her summer gigs with the exception of a good few in England and a few in Japan.

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/46329-azealia-banks-cancels-summer-festival-appearances/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

MBV are not metal. Loud as hell, but in no way shape or form are they a metal band.

I think some metal bands do have a place on the Electric Pincic lineup. They would t look out of place and people would enjoy them, for example Mastodon, Tool, Cynic, Deftones, Isis, A Perfect Circle or Faith No More. And that's not including some of the hardcore punk acts that people here are already hoping for like At The Drive In and Refused.
    Isis are still on hiatus as far as I know. But I get your point and it would be pretty cool to see some of the more experimental metal bands play festivals like Electric Picnic. I would bring a nicer diversity to the crowd. Hell, if they can have dance acts surely they can have metal bands as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

My Bloody Valentine are very loud, but not metal...

"to be a fellow Brit" - Dear lord give me patience. Yeah I'd like to see you up there and control the crowd like they did. Good on ye' man.

MBV 'metal' - controversial ;)

Did you see them 1st or 2nd weekend? Sorry if I don't get it, but I don't get it. Pretty small crowd for them on 2nd weekend too, so I guess I'm not alone.

Justice on the other hand stormed it.

MadsL wrote: »
    MBV 'metal' - controversial ;)
    Feed Me With Your Kiss does come pretty close though :D

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Isis are still on hiatus as far as I know. But I get your point and it would be pretty cool to see some of the more experimental metal bands play festivals like Electric Picnic. I would bring a nicer diversity to the crowd. Hell, if they can have dance acts surely they can have metal bands as well?

Metal = Mosh
    Dance = Dance

Metal = Mosh
    Dance = Dance
    Point being?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jakobgallagher

I think the picnic does pretty well at having a wide range of different styles of music on show, this band played last year and while not strictly being "metal" I dont see why if they played a metal band could not.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Point being?

Pogo = you'll fit in anywhere :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Its not Market targeted towards that audience though. Like I'd love to see mastodon play at it, but not a chance. I don't want to be that know-it-all dick about this stuff, but as I said it's not that type of festival and you can see that in their trend of line ups.

Yeah I get you. It seems our neighbours on the continent are more accepting of metal while in the UK and Ireland it's typically segregated (moreso here imo). Primavera for example could generally be seen as an 'indie'-type festival but they have acts like Mayhem, Napalm Death and Wolves in the Throne Room this year, and they've booked Motorhead and Isis in the past.

Best I can hope for at EP is Refused and/or At the Drive-In so, that would definitely quench my loud music appetite.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

It’s disappointing news for Azealia Banks fans with the rapper pulling her Picnic appearance as part of a paring down of her European summer festival commitments.

She’s still down for the Reading and Leeds festivals on August 25 and 26, but sadly that’s it as she races to complete her debut Broke With Expensive Taste album, which she’s almost completely re-recorded since hooking up with Lady Gaga’s management and having a bigger budget to play with. Confirmed collaborators include Missy Elliott and Kanye West.

Definitely on though is a UK tour kicking off on September 28, and which will hopefully be extended to take in Ireland.

http://www.hotpress.com/Azealia-Banks/news/Azealia-Banks-cancels-Irish-festival-date/8881573.html?new_layout=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7 the warrens

Ocean colour scene. whats the chances .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ocean colour scene. whats the chances .

Of boredom.

Excellent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement