Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Ugh.Im.Clashing

Miike Snow has been added to Bestival's line-up. Hopefully that's a good sign for EP!!

https://twitter.com/#!/MiikeSnow/status/204538725131231232

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭deeks

EP just tweeted the following:

"Sigur Rós play the Friday of EP. The Cure/Saturday. Elbow & The Killers/Sunday. All day by day details will be available in August."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Miike Snow has been added to Bestival's line-up. Hopefully that's a good sign for EP!!

https://twitter.com/#!/MiikeSnow/status/204538725131231232

They're playing Reading/Leeds as well the weekend before.
    It'll be a shame if they're not announced for EP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It really does look like the organisers have decided to focus their resources on building Body and Soul and Forbidden Fruit this year. It's a shame, in my mind, because with Glastonbury and Oxegen not taking place, there was a real opportunity to consolidate EP's position as a leading European festival by attracting (and impressing) people from across Europe!

I remember in previous years the final announcements came as bonuses to me, this year it seems as if I'm relying on them!

That's not to say that I think Electric Picnic will be bad this year, I have no doubt in my mind that I'll have another great time. I'm just a bit disappointed that they haven't seized the opportunity that was given to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

AdMMM wrote: »
    It really does look like the organisers have decided to focus their resources on building Body and Soul and Forbidden Fruit this year. It's a shame, in my mind, because with Glastonbury and Oxegen not taking place, there was a real opportunity to consolidate EP's position as a leading European festival by attracting (and impressing) people from across Europe!

I remember in previous years the final announcements came as bonuses to me, this year it seems as if I'm relying on them!

That's not to say that I think Electric Picnic will be bad this year, I have no doubt in my mind that I'll have another great time. I'm just a bit disappointed that they haven't seized the opportunity that was given to them!
    I'm impressed that the organisers gave chosen not to capitalise on the fact that Oxygen is not on this year & have continued with a festival format that works... The Oxygen crowd can go somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm impressed that the organisers gave chosen not to capitalise on the fact that Oxygen is not on this year & have continued with a festival format that works... The Oxygen crowd can go somewhere else.

Not this again :p

And what about the Glastonbury crowd?

I'm not saying they should have brought the Black Eyed Peas or Lady Gaga, I'm saying that they had an opportunity to (or maybe they didn't) to go after high-profile alternative bands. The likes of The Shins and Bon Iver are glaring omissions in the lineup, especially considering both are touring. Death Cab for Cutie, M83 and Spritualized are also bands that I thought would have played at Electric Picnic but instead are playing festivals by the same organisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

And what about the Glastonbury crowd?

I'm not saying they should have brought the Black Eyed Peas or Lady Gaga, I'm saying that they had an opportunity to (or maybe they didn't) to go after high-profile alternative bands. The likes of The Shins and Bon Iver are glaring omissions in the lineup, especially considering both are touring. Death Cab for Cutie, M83 and Spritualized are also bands that I thought would have played at Electric Picnic but instead are playing festivals by the same organisers.

You are dead right sir. Even if Oxegen had been on, by normal EP standards I think the line up this year is fairly mediocre. The fact that Oxegen isn't on and the opportunity that was there to be grabbed has been missed it's just very disappointing.

Anyone heard anything about any further announcements? I suppose it'll just be small additions here and there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Feist just announced a gig in Canada that weekend, so count her out. she's playing all around Europe in the weeks before EP....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Am hoping for the Manic's to make an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Ugh.Im.Clashing

Cold Specks to play the Friday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I've been to both festivals in the same year on two occasions and I know a lot of people who have also done the same. I don't know what you can really define as the Oxegen crowd.

There seems to have been a freeze in new acts being announced, but hopefully after Body and Soul and Forbidden Fruit there will be a flurry of new announcements.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I've been to both festivals in the same year on two occasions and I know a lot of people who have also done the same. I don't know what you can really define as the Oxegen crowd.

Would you not agree that Oxegen caters towards the age profile of 16-22 while EP would be a bit older. Obviously in a few thousand people there will be exceptions.

I assume people mean younger crowd when they say oxegen crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

lordgoat wrote: »
    Would you not agree that Oxegen caters towards the age profile of 16-22 while EP would be a bit older. Obviously in a few thousand people there will be exceptions.

I assume people mean younger crowd when they say oxegen crowd.

A knowledge of pre decimal currency would be a prerequisite for entry if I had me way :D

Zero1986 wrote: »
    i've been going to witnness/oxegen since 2001, and EP since 2005, and the difference between crowds is like night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

That's a bit of an ignorant comment to make.
    FF is this week coming. Body & Soul is in under a month. Electric Picnic is in September. Do you not see the marketing and business ploy here? That they're trying to get the hype going for that, THEN do EP after?

Of course I do but that doesn't really leave much time to promote EP. The lead-time is far too short and it would be particularly mad of them to be holding back on any more headliners in this climate.

I have no doubt that they'll be heavily promoting EP after their other two festivals but they won't exactly be promoting anything groundbreaking.

Of course I do but that doesn't really leave much time to promote EP. The lead-time is far too short and it would be particularly mad of them to be holding back on any more headliners in this climate.

I have no doubt that they'll be heavily promoting EP after their other two festivals but they won't exactly be promoting anything groundbreaking.

EP has never been about huge headliners. Its a boutique festival... I was there the year George Clinton headlined and it was great.

I've no interest in going to a festival where the headliner is whatever the teeny boppers are listening to.

EP has never been about huge headliners. Its a boutique festival... I was there the year George Clinton headlined and it was great.

I've no interest in going to a festival where the headliner is whatever the teeny boppers are listening to.
    You do realise that a headliner doesn't have to be what the teenagers are listening to? Perfect example would be The Cure - a band certainly worthy of headlining but not what younger people are listening to.

You do realise that a headliner doesn't have to be what the teenagers are listening to? Perfect example would be The Cure - a band certainly worthy of headlining but not what younger people are listening to.

I don't get your point... The Cure are playing... ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Looks like there Caribou B2B Four Tet are doing this alongside Jamie XX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

that sounds great MeetReality....

do you have a source?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Caribou & FourTet DJ set - yes!!!!!!

The EP bill could easily still turn out to be excellent - there are plenty of good acts already announced even if 1 or 2 bigger names would have been nice

Let's wait and see what else gets announced once forbidden fruit is out of the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Looks like there Caribou B2B Four Tet are doing this alongside Jamie XX

That's gonna be amazing, finally some decent dance acts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I think it's about time some new acts were announced. Yes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fairly sure this year is a farse year for festivals across europe, I'veworked festivals for the last 8 or 9 years in uk and ireland, and its pretty dire this year, last year got awful turn outs for alot, big chill and oxegen cancelled, wouldnt be suprised if reading and leeds pull together sooon if things dont improve. I wasnt suprised at oxegen, that needed to go, big chill was a shocker, failing sales but an amazing venue and set up. EP cant really expand much more, campsites are already pretty crowded, the rejig a few years back added a bit more, but it doesnt really have the space to get bigger, and the fees for big acts are high. I can see this year make or break it, its getting a gradual bad element seeping into it that oxegen was dripping in and its been getting fairly woeful weather too, iffy time of year. I would compare it to latitude in the uk, cept latitude has a larger family element, which i think if has the potential to push, will keep the older crowd happy any maybe push out the undesirables off to somewhere else, if it doesnt get moving on that its detined to fail...IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭lc180

honru wrote: »
    I think it's about time some new acts were announced. Yes.

I reckon the promoter will announce more acts once Forbidden Fruit is done and dusted, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the bands from the FF lineup also make an appearance at electric picnic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Am hoping for the Manic's to make an appearance.

Would the Manic Street Preachers still play even after performing at the Olympia a few months back?

karaokeman wrote: »
    Would the Manic Street Preachers still play even after performing at the Olympia a few months back?
    why not? :confused:
    loads of bands play here over winter/spring, then return for festivals...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Can Vip tickets be bought? and if so where?

ta

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement