Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Hi,

Personally, I'm kind of an indie-guitar band head. II used to know loads about music but I've really drifted in the last few years, so it'd be good to familiarise myself with it again.

Thanks folks!

Well then the two bands that wuld stand out to me that you probably havent mentioned or heard of are The Maccabees and The Vaccines. The Maccabees for me are the best uk indie outfit going at the moment and their new album is a cracker. Really good musicians and are amazing live. Must see for me. This is off their 2nd album, cant find any HD content of their new album. But u shud have a listen to it cos its amazing. Ive seen them live this year and it was the best concert ive been at in years.

Vaccines are a more upbeat, quick thrill, strokes-ish kinda band. Their music isnt exactly new and original but they are definately a brilliant live band to see and will get the place rocking . Here they are at Glastonbury last yr

Other acts you might want to listen to before you go, would be Bombay Bicycle Club, Villagers, Ed Sheeran and a guy called Ben Howard who im personally really looking forward to seeing. Here he is playing T in the Park on Saturday...looks amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,915 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Don't miss Patti Smith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Does anyone know when the stage times will be released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

If history is to go by unlikely to be until the day before the festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Balarrr Didiarr

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Mimbo wrote: »
    Are there any anxiety sufferers out there that have been to Electric Picnic. If so what was the experience like?

I like the Killers and I see they are playing Electric Picnic this year, I would like to go but the thought of paniking at something like that is putting me off.

I wouldn't be camping or anything

I would go provided you stay away from the front or the pits (if they have them at EP) cause it can be pretty rough up front.

Also have a look at the camping options, you can go for quiet camping, 'VIP' camping etc which would be alot less stressful. http://electricpicnic.ie/alternativecampingoptions
    I'd agree with the alternative camping, it is expensive but did this a couple of years ago and stayed in a tipee. It just meant there was a relaxed space to get back to and then u can head out again to the fun fun fun when you've recharged the batteries a bit :)

Edit: also go with Good friends, people who genuinely care if you're not feeling great, they'll look out for you. If u go with people you're not comfy around it may get u more anxious, u'll have a great time and try not to worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

I'd agree with the alternative camping, it is expensive but did this a couple of years ago and stayed in a tipee. It just meant there was a relaxed space to get back to and then u can head out again to the fun fun fun when you've recharged the batteries a bit :)

Wee question for ya. Was there many people staying in alternative camping? Also did security check you were allowed into that camping area?

At Oxegen the campsites were a free for all with no checks to get into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Am I the only one who had never heard of Ben Howard until this weekend??
    May start my homework

O'Doodle wrote: »

Wee question for ya. Was there many people staying in alternative camping? Also did security check you were allowed into that camping area?

At Oxegen the campsites were a free for all with no checks to get into them.

When we stayed there were checks each time you went into the entrance, really enjoyed it as they didn't have the tipees on top of each other either so it didn't seem crowded and the atmosphere was good. You had a separate wristband togirt into site. I remember security being strict at gate and helpful too. There isn't much in the tipees but they had a sheepskin, little table and lamp and plenty of room. (only 2 of us in it though) not sure if they let more stay in it. Have to go refresh memory but I think it was boutique camping we booked with, can double check. Site had own toilets and showers too that were kept much cleaner from what I saw out in the arena area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

in relation to boutique camping, there is a cheaper alternative to the TiPi and Yurts, you can hire a normal pre-pitched tent from Pink Moon. Tangerine Fields did it the past few years. These tents are also in a more secure and supervised campsite and in my opinion well worth the extra money if you want some quiet time to chill in between the not so quiet times.

in relation to boutique camping, there is a cheaper alternative to the TiPi and Yurts, you can hire a normal pre-pitched tent from Pink Moon. Tangerine Fields did it the past few years. These tents are also in a more secure and supervised campsite and in my opinion well worth the extra money if you want some quiet time to chill in between the not so quiet times.

Great advice, we spent a lot...ep was our hol that year, if u can do it cheaper go for it..it's inportant to have the chill out time but as forest mentions the cheaper options are secure too, hope u go and enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Ben Howard has a video knocking around, which was shot in West Clare, some surfing buddies of his knock around there doing the tow in surfing...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mup

I'm pretty shocked by the lack of interest in SBTRKT. I was gutted to have missed them in the Academy so I'm delighted to have another chance to see them. Can anybody who was at the gig tell me what to expect live? I wonder will they have any special guests with them. I'm afriad they might not be anywhere near as good without all the guest vocals live. For anybody interested have a listen to Hold On feat. Samphla, Wildfire or Right thing to do feat. Jessie Ware. These would be their more popular releases but my personal favourite is Pharaohs. I really don't know what genre I would put them in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.87

Looking for alternative options to regular camping the other half is getting on and not mad keen on camping... whats the price roughly of tipee and others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

mup wrote: »
    I'm pretty shocked by the lack of interest in SBTRKT. I was gutted to have missed them in the Academy so I'm delighted to have another chance to see them. Can anybody who was at the gig tell me what to expect live? I wonder will they have any special guests with them. I'm afriad they might not be anywhere near as good without all the guest vocals live. For anybody interested have a listen to Hold On feat. Samphla, Wildfire or Right thing to do feat. Jessie Ware. These would be their more popular releases but my personal favourite is Pharaohs. I really don't know what genre I would put them in though.
    well he has Sampha with him at all gigs these days, so he does vocals for all his songs obviously.
    wasn't at the Academy but was at the Workmans Club gig in December, and they loop the vocals from other tracks (Drake, Little Dragon, etc.).
    don't have any special guests generally, certainly wouldn't expect any for EP anyway.
    they're pretty good live. as long as it's an evening/night slot, and it's not on the main stage, it should be very good.

stephen.87 wrote: »
    Looking for alternative options to regular camping the other half is getting on and not mad keen on camping... whats the price roughly of tipee and others?
    http://electricpicnic.ie/alternativecampingoptions

Tipis are about €400 for the smallest one, without anything inside it.

personally, i've always thought they're a massive waste of money, it's still a tent and you're still leaving your mucky wellies at the end of it.
    if i was going to spend that much, i'd rather get a big 8man tent and deck it out with some comfortable stuff at a fraction of the price of getting a tipi. at least i'd actually own it then too...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mup

well he has Sampha with him at all gigs these days, so he does vocals for all his songs obviously.
    wasn't at the Academy but was at the Workmans Club gig in December, and they loop the vocals from other tracks (Drake, Little Dragon, etc.).
    don't have any special guests generally, certainly wouldn't expect any for EP anyway.
    they're pretty good live. as long as it's an evening/night slot, and it's not on the main stage, it should be very good.

I don't think that's too obvious ghostdancer. I can't imagine him featuring on a lot of songs. He has a very distinct voice and I don't think it would suit the majority of songs. Did he guest on everything in the workmans club gig? I wasn't even aware of SBTRKT back in December, where did you come across them?
    Ya I completely agree, a main stage slot would be awful. A decent tent would suit perfectly.

mup wrote: »
    I don't think that's too obvious ghostdancer. I can't imagine him featuring on a lot of songs. He has a very distinct voice and I don't think it would suit the majority of songs. Did he guest on everything in the workmans club gig? I wasn't even aware of SBTRKT back in December, where did you come across them?
    Ya I completely agree, a main stage slot would be awful. A decent tent would suit perfectly.
    sorry, i meant the 4/5 songs Sampha sings on the album, he obviously sings them live as he's already on stage (as opposed to playing a recording of his own voice :) )
    on the other songs that don't feature Sampha on the album, they just play the vocals from recordings.
    Sampha plays keyboards/synth on most or all of the songs live, while SBTRKT himself plays drums and does some beats/effects on controllers and a laptop.
    the 2 videos below will give you a good idea of what they're like live.

not sure where i heard of them, i know the album was on lots of "best of 2011" lists so probably read a review somewhere on the internet whe it came out.
    i agree, in the tent would be a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I have now got up to 686 people in my group, EP has by now made its third announcement, there is still room for two top billed headliners in the EP line up poster, so there will probably be another two or three announcements before it all kicks off on August 31st. Ideally I would like to get the group count up to 2,500 people or over 1,000 at least before contacting POD about the interest for Aphex Twin. It looks more likely that he might not get announced this year but Im going to keep the group ongoing and push for EP 2013 anyway. If your going to the Picnic and would love to see Aphex Twin there, please join my group here.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

please join my group here.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

How much are the tickets if you buy in person from a ticketmaster outlet? Do they drop the ridiculous €6 or €7 booking charge they hit you with online or is it just the same? Getting my ticket sorted this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭bren2001

mutley18 wrote: »
    How much are the tickets if you buy in person from a ticketmaster outlet? Do they drop the ridiculous €6 or €7 booking charge they hit you with online or is it just the same? Getting my ticket sorted this week.

Think they only place that doesnt have the booking charge is ticketmaster in Stephens Green, I could be wrong. I know everywhere else has a ridiculous booking charge whether you go in person or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 elephanttalk

mutley18 wrote: »

You can always check here : http://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14283

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Apparently Dexys will be playing their new album in full from start to finish, followed by all the hits.

Passion Pit are playing in Seattle on the Monday after EP, so i'd probably count them out now, even though they're in Europe the weekend before...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cybersausage

Hope jeff the brotherhood get announced, their playing in London on the 29th of August then Paris on the 3rd sept. praying they squeeze in an appearance..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hopefully my band will playing if we win the next round of the King Kong Club :D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Hopefully my band will playing if we win the next round of the King Kong Club :D

what are you guys called ? best of luck

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

what are you guys called ? best of luck

Thanks , we are called http://www.facebook.com/MoonlightRedOnline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Just heard Chic on radio mentioning their electric picnic gig a couple of years ago .... and how much they loved it. The electric arena was going nuts by the end of it - atmosphere was amazing.

Strange that they have not been booked since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Good luck, Furious Red

When do they announce the line up for EP's Body and Soul stages?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement