Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Ok guys and gals I have created a facebook carpool page for advanced and weekend volunteers working at this years festival, hopefully it will help you get there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/505417726151921/#

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

frantic190 wrote: »

Apparently it was the whole website down, I didn't check any other pages so assumed it was just the pdf removed.

Squarepusher at Sonar Festival 2012, this will give you an idea of what to expect for EP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

garrkell wrote: »
    so its a poor announcement because you dont like any of the bands.......right

Yes for me. Why would I pay to see bands I don't like? Hence the imho. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

delighted to see Richie Hawtin added, brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NoobSaibot5

I kinda want to go, I've been every year for the last 5 and last year kinda put me off it. The tent next to us got broken into on the first night, one of the girls had her pockets searched as she slept and a guy got mugged a few feet away from where we were sleeping. Plus I was with a few openly gay lads and for the first time ever at that festival they were started on and harassed, normally the crowd is so much more chilled out and relaxed, I don't know what happened last year.

Perhaps it was just the rubber bandits causing some eijits to show up or something but with Oxegen canceled this year and Swedish House Maffia resulting in people getting knifed it's seriously a deciding factor in whether or not I'm going. What do you lot reckon? Do you think it will be in any way dodgy this year after what happened in Phoenix Park or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I reckon you need to put your question to them via twitter or facebook (which seems to be the only way to get responses from them... forgot the official forums). They need to keep on top of this as anything like the reports of the more troubled Oxegens or the park being associated with EP will pretty much spell the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

Realistically, what do people think are the chances of the Sunday day tickets selling out??

The most likely times for it to happen is when most people get paid at the end of the month. So probably from the 24th on is the danger zone and if you could afford to I'd say get them before then... however it is quite possible people may just leave it to the weekend of the festival to see what reports are like and if the weather is good. I'd be tempted to say it probably won't sell out but I have no idea how many are on sale or how many have been sold already.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sammyb

How much money do u think will cover for the weekend with camping, food, drink from Friday to Sunday night? Think I might go home Sunday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,801 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I kinda want to go, I've been every year for the last 5 and last year kinda put me off it. The tent next to us got broken into on the first night, one of the girls had her pockets searched as she slept and a guy got mugged a few feet away from where we were sleeping. Plus I was with a few openly gay lads and for the first time ever at that festival they were started on and harassed, normally the crowd is so much more chilled out and relaxed, I don't know what happened last year.

Perhaps it was just the rubber bandits causing some eijits to show up or something but with Oxegen canceled this year and Swedish House Maffia resulting in people getting knifed it's seriously a deciding factor in whether or not I'm going. What do you lot reckon? Do you think it will be in any way dodgy this year after what happened in Phoenix Park or what?

I'd say after the Swedish House Mafia gig, security at EP will be stepped up. I was at Indiependence recently and the security there was very thorough compared to last year- everyone was patted down, bags were opened and searched and everyone had to empty their pockets. So I'd say it will be the same at EP. I know that EP has a capacity of around 30,000 so it will be impossible to catch every trouble-maker but you'd hope that increased security would prevent trouble.

The other thing is that those who might have went to Oxegen might not be too bothered about EP's line-up. I don't mean that in a snobby way or anything -just that the line up for both events are fairly different so wouldn't expect much of a cross-over of fans. From my experience Oxegen attracted a lot of post-leaving certers. With the LC results out soon, some of these will head away on holidays so won't be around for EP or will not have the money to attend. I'm not saying that this group is full of trouble-makers or anything - just that they usually make up a sizable proportion of the Oxegen crowd. That's my take on it anyway. I wouldn't let the SHM gig or Oxegen being cancelled stop you from going.

I can see that you'd a very negative experience last year and can def understand why you're hesitant to go again this year. I'd contact EP and basically ask can they guarantee that security will be stepped up this year as last year you experienced several negative things and see what they say.. Hopefully though last year was a once off and that the stuff you experience won't happen again!

sammyb wrote: »
    How much money do u think will cover for the weekend with camping, food, drink from Friday to Sunday night? Think I might go home Sunday night.

By camping are you planning on buying tents/other camping supplies on site? If you are on a budget avoid doing that if at all possible as you will pay premium. The only charge you should pay for camping is the shower fee which is a fiver I think... most people won't consider it a necessity so neither should you.

Food: If you bring nothing with you you could probably assume €6 for breakfast, €6-8 for lunch, €8-10 for dinner and add another €6-€10 for random drunk munchies if that's your thing. You could shop around and get better prices than that or skip one of those meals or combine them or have more but you'll know yourself if you are inclined to do that. Most people will bring some sort of sandwich, pot noodles, tinned food, crisps/peanuts to reduce what they spend on food.

Drink.. if you are going to the bar it'll be a fiver (maybe €5.50 not sure) for 500ml of beer. Wine and Bacardi are at least another euro on top of that. What you need drink wise to "enjoy the festival responsibly" and how much you'll supplement with drinking in the campsite depends on you. For non alcoholic drinks there are drinking water taps in the arena and campsite so save yourself some cash by using them instead of soft drinks or bottled water (€2 to €2.50 a pop)

Don't forget there are merchandising stands, fairground rides, random money wasting things everywhere so if you are inclined to you could spend a lot more than you'd hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sammyb

Cheers for that info Toast. Yeah, we are staying at the Pink Moon Campsite this year. Know it's their 1st year after Tangerine Fields. We'll see how that goes. Some mixed reports from the Latitude festival re: Pink Moon. Just trying to budget while still have a good time. ;0)) As heading away a few weeks after that. Cheers again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

What are you blabbering on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

leakyboots wrote: »
    he thinks the rubberbandits are actually real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Ugh.Im.Clashing

leakyboots wrote: »

I'm on about the Irish comedy duo, The Rubberbandits, who had gained huge popularity with "Horse Outside" just at the end of 2010. They played at EP last year and I (along with a lot of other friends) had experienced trouble due to people of all ages (mainly lads from 18-30) off their face going around the area where they were playing, in most cases the people I'd encountered near where they performed where quite unruly and aggressive. Considering the popularity they'd achieved the year before, I was just thinking out loud that perhaps the odd "mad buzzer" would try their hand with Electric Picnic that year, and in my experience, it proved to be the case as it was the one year where I felt the most uncomfortable.

I'm on about the Irish comedy duo, The Rubberbandits, who had gained huge popularity with "Horse Outside" just at the end of 2010. They played at EP last year and I (along with a lot of other friends) had experienced trouble due to people of all ages (mainly lads from 18-30) off their face going around the area where they were playing, in most cases the people I'd encountered near where they performed where quite unruly and aggressive. Considering the popularity they'd achieved the year before, I was just thinking out loud that perhaps the odd "mad buzzer" would try their hand with Electric Picnic that year, and in my experience, it proved to be the case as it was the one year where I felt the most uncomfortable.

Maybe you and your friends are just unlucky or maybe your 'theory' is complete bollocks.

I've seen them plenty of times, from their very first gig in Trinity Rooms courtyard to EP both times they've played there, and have never seen nor heard of any trouble.

'Mad buzzers' have been going to the Picnic since it was Witnness.

I'd hazard a guess and say that the most likely cause of the issues you described were people down there specifically to rob people and cause trouble. The inclusion of one act or another would make no difference to that. They probably got in via fence jumping or similar methods so the "cost to who they want to see" ratio wouldn't be a factor. The "potential victims versus odds of getting caught" would be what is attractive.

Hence why I said "Probably". I never said any one particular act brought that sort of crowd, I just mentioned Rubber Bandits because they'd become fairly well known prior to the festival.

Regardless, I still would love to hear what the security measures are before I purchase a ticket. There's no way I'm heading down there if there's the chance it could end up anything like we seen at Swedish House Mafia.

• Advertisement

Hence why I said "Probably". I never said any one particular act brought that sort of crowd, I just mentioned Rubber Bandits because they'd become fairly well known prior to the festival.

Regardless, I still would love to hear what the security measures are before I purchase a ticket. There's no way I'm heading down there if there's the chance it could end up anything like we seen at Swedish House Mafia.

NoobSailbot there is no euro trance ****e at EP, that is what Swedish House Mafia is, the only thing that might pull the odd skanger in Ive heard is probably the Killers. My advice, camp near the Arena entrance, the Jimi Hendrix camp site, I didnt see any trouble in that area. Its the camping areas farthest away that attract fence hoppers.

Does fence hopping happen a lot there?

I'd have thought that there'd be a lot of security on to stop that kind of carry-on..

And even if people did hop the fence, I thought they'd at least do it to see music (rather than go around stealing from people) but maybe I'm being fairly naive!

Eod100 wrote: »
    Does fence hopping happen a lot there?

I'd have thought that there'd be a lot of security on to stop that kind of carry-on..

And even if people did hop the fence, I thought they'd at least do it to see music (rather than go around stealing from people) but maybe I'm being fairly naive!

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/blog/806/entry-1484-my-electric-picnic-experiences-2011/

Jesus the guy who wrote that sounds like a complete idiot and spoofer!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

A few points

a) Thought RubberBandits were great at last year's picnic. Can kind of get what is meant about the crowd at it but only kind of - as more or less said elsewhere, at a festival the size of EP, you need to be able to ready to deal with all sorts of people... including boring 30-somethings like myself who will probably be falling over on top of you from exhaustion by around 3am on the Sat/Sun night - but at least I probably won't rob your tent (or your girlfriend, even if I tried to...)

b) If I wasn't planning to camp there again this year and hoping everyone doesn't cotton on to it, I'd second the motion for camping in the Jimi Hendrix near the arena entrance (and the polis) if looking for somewhere quieter than the average - and possibly more secure as well. That said, in 3 picnics and multiple foreign festivals i've never had anything nicked - perhaps my tent smells or something

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cara_

What time do things usually finish up each night? Does everything shut down as soon as the headlining acts finish or do some of the smaller tents, trenchtown etc go on later?

Was that not oxegen?

Apologies, was flying out the door, you're right of course, different festivals but the point still stands.

If you're going to be staying in a tent for the weekend, don't leave anything valuable in it that you don't want robbed.

Either drop stuff back to the car or just bring a little backpack and have it on your person. Or better still just don't bring it to the festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

cara_ wrote: »
    What time do things usually finish up each night? Does everything shut down as soon as the headlining acts finish or do some of the smaller tents, trenchtown etc go on later?

some of the smaller venues go on a bit longer and Arcadia tends to kick off after the main acts are done. But the real place to go is the rave in the forest, I wasn't there last year but previous years saw Neutronyx pumping out psy-trance deep in the forest, on a dry night it's some setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

cara_ wrote: »
    Body and Soul stages go on until about 4, Trenchtown etc. prob about the same, maybe a little later, Rave in the Woods until after 5 i think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement