Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Jimi Lee's Juke Joint stage line up at EP

Crow Black Chicken
    Radioactive Grandma
    The Bambir
    Bamboo Party
    Rufus Coates ad The Blackened Trees
    Red Sail
    Twin Headed Wolf
    Factions
    Kerouac
    Darragh Cullen
    Black Gold Gamble
    Slidin PK
    Ben Sheridan
    Colour/Sound
    Garrett Baker and the Random Nouns
    Rez 13
    Sounds of System Breakdown
    Rubix
    The Forbidden Itch
    Scribble Sound System
    Sigma4ce
    Myles Manley and The Little People
    Klara McDonnell
    Russell Hogg
    Lights Over Phoenix
    The Velvetones
    Darragh and Jay
    Conor Linnie
    Wilbury

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=176932855765326&set=a.176932839098661.18521.145168938941718&type=1&theater

No sign of day by day breakdown or stage times for this stage as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_836867_langId_-1_categoryId_236917
    Halfords have some great offers atm the one in the link is a 2 man but can get 3 or 4 man aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mr.S wrote: »
    Any good deals around for tents? Would love a 2 /3 man pop up tent :D

I'd stay away from pop up tents, the majority of them seem to be single skinned and it appears we are in for a wet one. I got one last year and would have been swimming in it if I hadn't brought a sheet of taurpalin to be safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Quechua, that's what I used! It managed ok for quite a while, but any kind of sustained rain it gets saturated and leaks. Accuweather is saying a lot of rain :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

ED E wrote: »
    Looking for a small bandoleer for EP to stash valuables, anyone got any suggestions?

You could rent a locker for the weekend, if you don't wanna have your valuables on you all the time? They don't have the details up on the site yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Any good deals around for tents? Would love a 2 /3 man pop up tent :D
    It took me years to discover this, but buy a tent that's much bigger than you need. Eg if you're on your own get at least a 3 man, if you are a couple go for 4 or 5 man.
    It's only a bit more weight and even if it rains you'll have plenty of room for your wet gear/changing and you won't be paranoid about lying up against the sides (letting in water)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

What time do most people arrive at the campsite? For the past two years I got there early-ish in the morning but I'm probably not gonna be there 'til around midday this time. That's still not too late, right? Like I'm not gonna end up camping way at the back or anything now, yeah?

Stupid Irish Rail not having any Mallow-Portlaoise trains between 5.05 and 9.30 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Don't get a tent with a HH or Hyrdostatic Head rating of less than 1500mm. See that Halfords tent... 1000mm. Wouldn't risk it personally. Also anything which doesn't list the HH can be best avoided too.

Should be quickly obvious you aren't getting a waterproof tent for less than 30 euro. That's not a hard fast figure but I'd have serious questions as to why something was cheaper than that and I wouldn't be surprised to find the answer being: "because it leaks!"

After that make sure you don't overload the tent so there are things touching the sides (as mentioned above). Setup your tent right so it is taut and water isn't pooling on it. Also if it is a new tent do give it a check... seen people get burned by broken/missing pieces more often than you'd think with new tents.
    What time do most people arrive at the campsite?

Midday you'll be fine. Dunno the exact figures but I think it goes in 3 waves. The hardcore first thing in the morning crew from 9 to 11. A second wave of people who were just too lazy to get moving from 12 to 3 and the final big wave from 5 onwards of the workers who forgot to book the Friday off work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

don't bring valuables ;)

failing that maybe check out some army surplus store ( I had to google what you were looking for, seems like you're off to 'Nam).
    Talking phone(camera)/wallet/shades/anything the gf needs hoofed about. I'm an airsofter myself, but I'm looking for something more minimal than an ammo sling.
    Toast wrote: »
    I'm guessing he just didn't want to say manbag. :D

I've plenty of satchels if thats what I was after
    maximoose wrote: »
    I'd stay away from pop up tents, the majority of them seem to be single skinned and it appears we are in for a wet one. I got one last year and would have been swimming in it if I hadn't brought a sheet of taurpalin to be safe!
    I've stayed in the Quicha (spelling?) tents before in the wind/rain and they where just as good as a normal tent.

Its Quecha IIRC, and I have one(long live Decathalon). They're fine, used one in the middle of winter in storm weather in north county dublin, was perfectly fine. Also used at oxegen twice, no problems. Just dont get the cheap knockoff ones. They also rock as when drunk falls on your camp they just pop up rather than snap.
    You could rent a locker for the weekend, if you don't wanna have your valuables on you all the time? They don't have the details up on the site yet though.

As above, its stuff I need to carry

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tack365

Anyone know what facilities are at the campervan place. I suppose electric hook up is out of the question!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

tack365 wrote: »
    Anyone know what facilities are at the campervan place. I suppose electric hook up is out of the question!!!!

Kind of ironic if it's not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

almost certain there's no electric hookups. never brought a campervan myself, but went over to a friend's one 2 years ago and from what i could tell it was just a field with campervans in it and a few toilets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oxegen had no powerpoints anyways.

EP had them in the past and I think they were in the region of a 100 euro extra. Not sure if they still do them.

edit: FAQ says there is none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

maximoose wrote: »
    Accuweather is saying a lot of rain :(

given our summer I think we should all expect a fair amount of rain. Even worse it could be warm so sweatin under a poncho :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

given our summer I think we should all expect a fair amount of rain. Even worse it could be warm so sweatin under a poncho :(
    More showers from what I can see

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/stradbally/210204/daily-weather-forecast/210204?day=11

Until about 5 days out any weather forecast is based on seasonal trends so it isn't hopeless yet but I reckon the mix of sun / rain it is saying is probably likely.

the day breakdown (and seemingly running order, first down to last) for the Casa Bacardi is up on the EP site now too:

http://electricpicnic.ie/casabacard
    Friday 31st August
    Stevie G
    Steve Manning
    Crazy P (Dj)
    Francois K

Saturday 01st September
    Big Dish Go
    The Drifter
    Tu-Ki
    The Revenge
    Darshan Jesrani (Metro Area)
    Prins Thomas
    A-Skillz

Sunday 2nd September
    Mother
    John Mahon
    Discotekken DJ’s
    Optimo
    The 2 Bears
    Todd Terje

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

Ugh can't stand being all sweaty in a raincoat like that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

At least its warmer than last year, was freezing on Sunday night last year wandering about Body & Soul.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Anyone got any tips for any acts playing the Picnic that have a particularly good stage show / visuals?

Have seen some YouTube vids of Orbital... looks like lots of fancy lights etc. but somewhat generic... I imagine I'll be very impressed by it all around 2am Saturday week though.

DJ Shadow's cue ball (or whatever) was class last year - anyone know of anything similarly innovative we should expect this year?

Sigur Ros had one of the best shows I'd seen for the Takk tour. Last one wasn't a patch on it but considering the latest album has reverted to their older style I think we can expect something similar to the older shows again.

Squarepusher had pretty good visuals when i saw him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Will Squarepusher be playing the Electric Arena, I reckon the Little Big Tent would be too small for his type of visual show, Id say he could fairly pack out the Electric Arena quite easy. It would be nice if Richie Hawtin was doing the Plastikman show too, the last time he performed it was March this year at the Glasgow Barrowlands venue.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

well he was announced seperate to the Little Big Tent announcement, so i'd imagine he won't be on there.

i know Le Galaxie are on at 2am on Sat night in the LBT, with FourTet/Caribou on before them (presumably about midnight), and HudMo, Rustie and Junior Boys are all on that night too, so i doubt Squarepusher will be on there...

Woods stage lineup, looks like no psy-trance this year anyway, and seems as though it will be more than just a stage and some speakers in a clearing :D

Friday: 10 2 1

16.00-21.00 James Kirwan
    21.00-22.00 Cian Little Byrne
    22.00-23.00 Nathen Jones
    23.00-00.00 Lorcan Mak
    00.00-01.00 Monto
    01.00-02.00 Clu
    02.00-03.00 Frank Sweeney
    03.00-.04.00 Steven Neligan

Saturday: T3

16.00-17.00 John Rainey
    17.00-18.00 Jika Jika DJs
    18.00-19.00 Republik DJs
    19.00-20.00 Bunga Bunga DJs
    20.00-21.00 Alex Zander
    21.00-22.00 Simon Helsin
    22.00-23.00 Phil Galvin Jnr
    23.00-00.00 Doug Cooney
    00.00-02.00 Paul Woolford Vs Psycatron
    02.00-04.00 Loco & Jam

Sunday: Bodytonic

16.00-17.00 - Conor L & Ro Flynn
    17.00-18.00 - Frankie G & Bingo
    18.00-19.00 - Tonie Walsh & Aoife Ni Canna
    19.00-20.00 - Tom Beary & Kormac
    20.00-21.00 - Chewy
    21.00-22.00 - Steve Flynn & Simon Resoul
    22.00-23.00 - Tr-One
    23.00-00.00 - Mike Black & Steve Egri
    00.00-02.00 - Bodytonic Sound System
    02.00-03.00 - Barry Redsetta
    03.00-04.00 - Nic James

pc0gb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What's the story with the shuttle buses from Portlaoise? Does anyone know how much they were and where in Porlaoise they went from last year (like how far is it from the bus/railway station?)

And can anyone give a list of campsites and their proximity to the entrance and main areas? Maybe even a review of campsites you've stayed in? Appreciate any answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

well he was announced seperate to the Little Big Tent announcement, so i'd imagine he won't be on there.

i know are on at 2am on Sat night in the LBT, with FourTet/Caribou on before them (presumably about midnight), and HudMo, Rustie and Junior Boys are all on that night too, so i doubt Squarepusher will be on there...

Is 2am start for Le Galaxie not very late for the LBT. I taught it always finished at 2.

Is 2am start for Le Galaxie not very late for the LBT. I taught it always finished at 2.
    went on until 4 last year:
    http://www.electricpicnic.ie/downloads/timetable.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Cheers. didn't even notice that last year. That just shows you what the picnic can do to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement