Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

that's fantastic news about the Forest stage. Variety and an early start too. It seems the organisers are really making the most of all the venues, I wasn't there last year but the year before I don't remember the forest stuff starting so early.

Feckin dying to see the stage times, surely they will be published soon??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I know we've had a lot of rain this summer, but the last couple of weeks have not been too bad.. Not as much rain, warm-ish and quite windy! Hopefully might have dried the ground out so it won't be a mud fest.....

I presume the pre-build is going on now, has anybody here been onsite working that could give us an idea of what the ground is like there now?

I know we've had a lot of rain this summer, but the last couple of weeks have not been too bad.. Not as much rain, warm-ish and quite windy! Hopefully might have dried the ground out so it won't be a mud fest.....

I presume the pre-build is going on now, has anybody here been onsite working that could give us an idea of what the ground is like there now?

well I'd say even if we have el scorchio between now and the Friday start I'd still say my biggest worry will be the car parks and trying to get the cars out of them on the Monday :eek:

yeah, would love to see the progress on the site if anyone has access/pics??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

well I'd say even if we have el scorchio between now and the Friday start I'd still say my biggest worry will be the car parks and trying to get the cars out of them on the Monday :eek:

yeah, would love to see the progress on the site if anyone has access/pics??

Someone posted these in the EP forum on the 9th, looking not too bad.

http://s1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj584/snibeye/.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

well he was announced seperate to the Little Big Tent announcement, so i'd imagine he won't be on there.

i know Le Galaxie are on at 2am on Sat night in the LBT, with FourTet/Caribou on before them (presumably about midnight), and HudMo, Rustie and Junior Boys are all on that night too, so i doubt Squarepusher will be on there...

I guess that means Orbital and Four Tet vs Caribou will be clashing, disaster :(

Great news that the forest rave is all house and techno though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.87

Serious fizzy balls for this now almost everything sorted just a few last minute things i need to vuy. Sigue Ros I can't wait... Hope it being outdoors doesn't ruin it too much

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.87

And just realised two out of my original wish list are on the bill so not too shabby :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2012/08/22/electric-picnic-2012-full-body-soul-line-up/
    Electric Picnic 2012 – full Body & Soul line-up
    Here’s the Body & Soul stage-by-stage breakdown for next week’s Electric Picnic. Yep, “next week”. Doesn’t time fly?

MAIN STAGE

Dirty Dubsters
    DENA
    Kodaline
    Young Wonder
    Rocketnumbernine
    Lewis Floyd Henry
    Paul Buchanan
    Dark Dark Dar
    Cian Finn
    Donal Dineen Presents
    When Saints Go Machine
    The Strypes
    Ocho
    Eleventy Four
    Orchestra of Spheres
    Maud In Cahoots
    Andy Irvine, Donal Lunny, Liam O’Flynn & Paddy Glackin aka LAPD
    Jesse Boykins lll
    John Hoban
    February/Mars
    Seamus Fogarty
    Junior Boys
    Ross Breen
    Mmoths
    Band Of Clouds
    Breton
    The Spook of the Thirteenth Lock

Main stage DJs: Peadar McGaoith (Radio na Life), John Hennessy/Barry Walsh (Sunday Times Sound System),
    Colm K (Bastard Jazz), Will Softly (Ruaille Buaille) and Conor Feeney (Big Dish Go)

EARTHSHIP STAGE

Overhead the Albatross
    DJ Frenchie
    Ham Sandwich
    DJ Romare
    Viperflo
    Cat Dowling
    Nightwave (DJ set)
    Morbid Can Morbid
    The Bambir
    The Ambience Affair
    SertOne
    Nanu Nanu
    Mynameis jOhn
    DJ Shane Mannion
    New Jackson
    Mother DJs
    DJ Paddy Dooley
    Croupier
    Zemi17
    Reid
    DJ Ruairi D
    Big Dish Go
    DJ Frank b

BAMBOO STAGE

Space Dimension
    Tujacques
    Tradiohead
    Dott
    Sunken Foal
    Metaphe/Metski
    The Rant
    No Spill Blood
    Little Oak
    Forrests
    Youth Mass
    Boy Lights Fire
    Ana Gog
    TR One
    Bantum
    Altered Hours
    Spam Chop
    Glimmermen
    Tin Charm
    Roisin O
    Lemonada
    Replete
    Cian Finn (DJ set)
    N.C. Lawlor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I'm heading there on Tuesday so will check it out then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

tack365 wrote: »
    Anyone know what facilities are at the campervan place. I suppose electric hook up is out of the question!!!!
    • There's no electric hook up in the camper van site, but you can bring a medium sized generator.
    • I'm not sure of the exact footprint you get, but you get enough to put up an awning or gazebo beside the camper.
    • It's basically just a carpark for the camper vans.
    • There are around a dozen toilets.
    • There's a couple of water points (but bring a funnel and hose to fill as its a pain in the hole otherwise).
    • There's a container for slopping out.. (where you'd empty your chem toilet).
    • There's an area for disposing of your rubbish.
    • Also, be prepared to walk. It's maybe 25min walk to the main arena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I looked at Band of Clouds very quickly on the B&S line-up and thought it said Boards of Canada. I nearly choked on my sandwich.

nocoverart wrote: »
    I looked at Band of Clouds very quickly on the B&S line-up and thought it said Boards of Canada. I nearly choked on my sandwich.

imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any timetables yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Do people think it will sell out? Basically wondering if i can put off getting the ticket til friday week?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Do people think it will sell out? Basically wondering if i can put off getting the ticket til friday week?

This was a message I seen in the EP facebook page, its the biggest camping music festival of the year now with Oxegen gone, so it could sell out as well.

"
    Eavan Flanagan

Can I buy tickets on site at EP, not sure if I can make it until the last minute but don't want to buy tickets just in case I cant go, is there a box office selling them on site?

Like · · 13 hours ago

Double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i'd be shocked if it sold out. it's €240! that's some price in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

i'd be shocked if it sold out. it's €240! that's some price in this day and age.

It's €230, and worth every penny imo.....

Even aside from the music, there is a million and one things to do. Mad random stuff happening everywhere you look (I saw a human deck of cards walk past me last year, followed 10 minutes later by a 7ft tall paper mache Slash from GnR).

It works out at €76 per day, for 3 days of practically non-stop partying/entertainment. Sure, you'd pay €40/€50 for a 4 hour gig in the O2 to watch a couple of bands.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Even aside from the music, there is a million and one things to do. Mad random stuff happening everywhere you look (I saw a human deck of cards walk past me last year, followed 10 minutes later by a 7ft tall paper mache Slash from GnR).

It works out at €76 per day, for 3 days of practically non-stop partying/entertainment. Sure, you'd pay €40/€50 for a 4 hour gig in the O2 to watch a couple of bands.....

One slight snag to your opinion on the price. The line-up is generic and underwhelming! actually there's way more than one slight snag to why this festival should be cheaper, but It's late/early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

I think EP is one of the few decent things you can 'buy' in music anymore. I've only ever worked at it mind you, not been there as a punter, but there is some serious effort put in on behalf of lots of people.

g

• Advertisement

here here.
    And if you bought the ticket during the loyalty pre-sale it would have only cost you €60 per day. I think the lineup is very good and again to mention all the non-music stuff going on, debates, comedy, circus, so many quirky installations throughout the site, and of course the characters you meet there....it all contributes to what I think is one of the best weekends of the year.

ED E wrote: »
    Any timetables yet?

I think they tweeted saying they will be released next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I want to go but €230 for the ticket alone is a lot of money! The 3 days could end up costing over €500 and I personally don't think the line up is that great for that amount of money! I could get a weeks holiday in Ballymun in the sun for that price! Would it be bad if I considered sneaking in? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Just looking at the line-up.......now I know I am a bit past it and no longer hip with current music....

But the way they have the poster, in terms of headliners....the second tier.....then third tier.....then fourth tier....

Most of the Irish acts seem to be in the third tier.

I'd have thought Villagers or Something Happens or Mick Flannery or Bell X1 would be comfortably as popular in Ireland as The XX or Hot Chip or even Orbital or Sigur Ros. For absolute sure Glen Hansard would be. Am I wrong here......are The XX suddenly a really popular band in Ireland.

Second question? Have any parents brought young kids? How was it. Wuld be a good idea to have a seperate thread for this maybe, as difficult to trawl through 1250 posts looking for thoughts on it.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Just looking at the line-up.......now I know I am a bit past it and no longer hip with current music....

But the way they have the poster, in terms of headliners....the second tier.....then third tier.....then fourth tier....

Most of the Irish acts seem to be in the third tier.

I'd have thought Villagers or Something Happens or Mick Flannery or Bell X1 would be comfortably as popular in Ireland as The XX or Hot Chip or even Orbital or Sigur Ros. For absolute sure Glen Hansard would be. Am I wrong here......are The XX suddenly a really popular band in Ireland.

Second question? Have any parents brought young kids? How was it. Wuld be a good idea to have a seperate thread for this maybe, as difficult to trawl through 1250 posts looking for thoughts on it.

if you did open a separate thread for your fair question it would be closed as mods like all related comments and questions about gigs in the one mega thread.
    As a follower of this thread I can tell you it's worth searching the thread (using the "Search this Thread" functionality) for an answer to your second question anyway. However I believe the family tickets are sold out but you could still camp in the normal camping with your kids but it might be noisier etc.
    You also have the option of the boutique camping but that's more money again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

nbar12 wrote: »
    Would it be bad if I considered sneaking in? ;)

Are you really asking what people will think of you if you skip in on something they are paying €230 for? It isn't a victimless crime like robbing banks... fence jumpers almost had Glastonbury canceled. It causes the event to be above their safety margins in attendance risking the event and people on the site. You can bet it is also the way most people who are there just to rob and cause trouble will be coming in so prepare to be lumped in with them in peoples minds. If they make one change based on the problems at the Phoenix Park it would want to be perimeter security because no amount of checks and searches will matter a damn if people are jumping.
    if you did open a separate thread for your fair question it would be closed as mods like all related comments and questions about gigs in the one mega thread.

I like the one topic for everything approach. If it wasn't enforced you can bet the first page of Gigs & Events would be 90% EP related 2 post threads right now. Bit unfair on anyone not interested in it.
    godfrey wrote: »
    I think EP is one of the few decent things you can 'buy' in music anymore.

That was how I justified it. In previous years I'd gone to close to 100 gigs a year and when transport, food and drink is factored in they add up to a fair chunk each time. These days there just isn't the same amount of bands visiting Ireland and EP is the best chance to actually get to see some things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Just noticed on the EP facebook that they are recommending anyone with a family ticket who isn't intending to use it as one can get it exchanged for a regular one via Ticketmaster customer care. This will free up a ticket for the family campsite for someone who might use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Anywhere have decent offers on for camping chairs?

Argos have them for €6.66 but have been out of stock for weeks.

maximoose wrote: »
    Anywhere have decent offers on for camping chairs?

Argos have them for €6.66 but have been out of stock for weeks.

that's an devilishly good price...sorry, couldn't resist :o

Dunnes usually have them too but I've never seen them for less that about €8.

• Advertisement

You might need good quality waterproofs for this edition of EP judging by AccuWeather http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/stradbally/210204/daily-weather-forecast/210204?day=6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement