Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

From EP site:

"Shuttle buses from Portlaoise Train Station to festival are courtesy of Martleys Buses /Ph 05786 20888. Buses will be at station waiting for every train arriving."

Same every year. They are unlikely to have missed out on the Sunday only crowd.

thanks but thats from the station to the festival. Im looking to get from the festival to the train station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

dulux99 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anythin about sniffer dogs potentially being there? I hope it's just a nasty rumour

why, are you expecting a shipment? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

thehamo wrote: »
    thanks but thats from the station to the festival. Im looking to get from the festival to the train station.

Give them a ring to see where the drop off point is and just wait there for one of the buses on Sunday morning (check train times to see what time they'll be due in at) and once everyone gets off, catch a ride back to the station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

So, what time do people plan to hit Stradbally at? I was thinking if I arrived at 11 how would the car parks/ approach roads be at that time based on last years experience anyone?
    i usually leave it until a bit after that, around 1-2 usually.
    never had any real queues at that time around Stradbally or getting into the carparks/campsites, still loads of room then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bopbuddy

Well Folks,
    What is it to be this year... My days of partying till 6 in the morning are nearly past me... maybe the Saturday night! But for a less full on experience what are people going to, anyone any comedy recommendations?
    I was at the LissArd festival and they had a brilliant food demo tent and an acoustic tent, anything like that happening that people will recommend?
    Weather looks semi good as well dare i say it,
    Anyone ordered pick up booze last year?
    Really looking forward to it!

• Advertisement

bopbuddy wrote: »
    Well Folks,
    What is it to be this year... My days of partying till 6 in the morning are nearly past me... maybe the Saturday night! But for a less full on experience what are people going to, anyone any comedy recommendations?
    I was at the LissArd festival and they had a brilliant food demo tent and an acoustic tent, anything like that happening that people will recommend?
    Weather looks semi good as well dare i say it,
    Anyone ordered pick up booze last year?
    Really looking forward to it!

The theatre of Food looks really interesting, lots of demos and talks won't get to see as much of it as I'd like though I'd say since there's a big group of us going. http://electricpicnic.ie/food

We usually go to the Comedy tent every day when it opens from about 12/1pm and sit with some cans chilling out for the afternoon. Dead Cat Bounce are a comedy music band, saw them in Vicar street this year - they were really good. Playing Saturday at 17.55

Lots of people plan their days out etc, to be honest I prefer to wander around and you end up stumbling across some good acts/tents/stalls etc

have a stroll around the Body & soul area chill out on the grass hill watching the bands below, very relaxed and a good spot to recharge the batteries!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

Has anyone heard anythin about sniffer dogs potentially being there? I hope it's just a nasty rumour

I think that rumour might be because they brought sniffer dogs to some of the marley park gigs after what happened at Swedish House Mafia.... I doubt they will see the Picnic in the same light...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

thehamo wrote: »

On Sunday morning for the train back to Dublin? Best to give Martleys a ring and see if they can help out, not many people would be leaving before the end so I dont know if they have buses to Portlaoise earlier, you could probably get a lift back from a bus dropping off new arrivees though. I had to do the same last year on the Friday night around 10 pm, there were no buses so I ended up getting a taxi and catching the train just in time.

I think that rumour might be because they brought sniffer dogs to some of the marley park gigs after what happened at Swedish House Mafia.... I doubt they will see the Picnic in the same light...?

I agree, Electric Picnic isn't known for trouble or violence etc. It's seen as a pretty laid back friendly festival. Especially since tickets haven't sold out I don't think they would see the need for dogs. I imagine that having sniffer dogs is quite an expensive cost to the organisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

tmc86 wrote: »
    The theatre of Food looks really interesting, lots of demos and talks won't get to see as much of it as I'd like though I'd say since there's a big group of us going. http://electricpicnic.ie/food

We usually go to the Comedy tent every day when it opens from about 12/1pm and sit with some cans chilling out for the afternoon. Dead Cat Bounce are a comedy music band, saw them in Vicar street this year - they were really good. Playing Saturday at 17.55

Lots of people plan their days out etc, to be honest I prefer to wander around and you end up stumbling across some good acts/tents/stalls etc

have a stroll around the Body & soul area chill out on the grass hill watching the bands below, very relaxed and a good spot to recharge the batteries!

Cheers for that, looks like there might be some decent beer there too!

"Behind the Brewers - with Caroline Hennessy & Claire Dalton – Tasting Irish craft beer and matching it with Food.( Caroline Hennessy, Journalist, broadcaster and blogger and partner of Scott Baigent brewer at Eight Degrees Brewing teams up with Claire Dalton, wife of brewer Tom from Dungarvan Brewing Company to talk food & beer pairings with plenty of sampling & tastings!"

• Advertisement

and some time ago John Reynolds said he will not be laying on extra security restrictions on top of what is typically already there, he said people have to be responsible for their own actions and this makes sense to me.
    I don't expect to see sniffer dogs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

OMG!!! i cant fuppin wait :) 4 more sleeps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

I've won VIP tickets and it says "entrance via guest list @ abbeyleix gate". Im still camping in the normal campsite not the picnic garden as load of mates are going too and I'd be lonesome ;-) ..... So anyway has anyone gone VIP before ?? How do I get to the abbeyleix gate??? (Driving from dublin) I still want the VIP wrist band so I can use the fancy jacks n stuff :-)

did they? didn't see that mentioned anywhere....

seeing as the gardai/customs have very few sniffer dogs, i'd be very surprised if they have any down at EP.
    if anything, the money it would cost would be better put to a few extra security people stopping scumbags jumping the fence etc.

Sparky85 wrote: »
    I've won VIP tickets and it says "entrance via guest list @ abbeyleix gate". Im still camping in the normal campsite not the picnic garden as load of mates are going too and I'd be lonesome ;-) ..... So anyway has anyone gone VIP before ?? How do I get to the abbeyleix gate??? (Driving from dublin) I still want the VIP wrist band so I can use the fancy jacks n stuff :-)
    presume it's the main entrance on this map:
    http://www.podpads.com/uploaded/ElectricPicnicMap.pdf

most times the box office at festivals will be a portacabin and part of it will be for people to get their media passes/guestlist tickets, so i'd say it's at the box office down at EP. once you're over there anyway, the people in the box office will be able to tell you if it's a seperate place, but i doubt it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

I remember watching the irish customs show on rte and they had a check point on the way to oxegen with sniffer dogs.

mooeire wrote: »
    I remember watching the irish customs show on rte and they had a check point on the way to oxegen with sniffer dogs.

you'd be amazed what people do just to look good on TV ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There were at least two dogs+handlers at Marlay for Kasabian. Might be down at EP but tbh after Marlay went well I doubt they care much anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Different promoter involved here. MCD are having their balls crushed. AIKEN/POD not so much.

what had customs got to do with oxegen? :confused:
    i've been going to witnness/oxegen since 2001, and never saw, nor heard of sniffer dogs there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 TheBeetles

Does anybody know if there are any buses/trains to cork that come back on the sunday night ?

The sunday ticket and return bus included tickets appear to be sold out :(

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Electric-Picnic-tickets/artist/30690

i've been going to witnness/oxegen since 2001, and never saw, nor heard of sniffer dogs there.[/Quot
    havent a clue what customs and oxegen's relationship is but they had a check point on one of the roads leading to oxegen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

i've been going to witnness/oxegen since 2001, and never saw, nor heard of sniffer dogs there.

camper vans and coachs were being checked coming from the north. every friday they would bust a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

blueshed wrote: »

camper vans and coachs were being checked coming from the north. every friday they would bust a few people.

They were checking cars aswell, 3 of us going down in my ****ty wee Corsa had to get out and get a sniffing from a dog, then they put the fcuker through the car for a sniff, luckily we didn't have anything on us, to be honest I think the stupid mutt was more concerned with the smell of our sandwiches in the boot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

What's the quiet campsite ?

Motorist wrote: »
    What's the quiet campsite ?

Ssshhhh!

Kidding, it's a campsite where people who want peace and quiet and a good nights sleep can camp. Not the typical drinking campsite but a more placid place for those who aren't there for the session side of a festival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

It is a campsite that is exactly the same as the regular ones because there is no enforcement of the quietness. I'm still not sure if people camp with no intention of being quiet or the initially camp there thinking they will want to go to sleep early but after a few drinks turn into everything they hate when sober.

Is there camping shops in the campsite? And if so any idea of prices for camping chairs?

Is there camping shops in the campsite? And if so any idea of prices for camping chairs?

There will be camping shops but they'll be more expensive. You can get a camping chair in Argos for 6.99 so you'd be better off picking one p beforehand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

Usually a tenner. I get mine down there every year, saves lugging it down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement