Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

The chairs dont last long, they either snap or get robbed. I went through 3 in 2010. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭sporina

i am planning to leave the car in a car park for the weekend. If I leave beer in the car, will I be able to bring it into the venue via a campsite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

sporina wrote: »
    i am planning to leave the car in a car park for the weekend. If I leave beer in the car, will I be able to bring it into the venue via a campsite?

you can bring in cans n plastic btls into the camping area only.no glass btls allowed on site what so ever then no drink allowed into the music area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How things have ended up its just myself and the missus going, which is grand, but normally we'd all camp in a group at oxegen. Any suggestions of good places to camp? Somewhere on a hill would probably be nice to help against flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭sporina

blueshed wrote: »
    you can bring in cans n plastic btls into the camping area only.no glass btls allowed on site what so ever then no drink allowed into the music area.

but you can bring drink into the music area after 11pm yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Toast wrote: »
    It is a campsite that is exactly the same as the regular ones because there is no enforcement of the quietness. I'm still not sure if people camp with no intention of being quiet or the initially camp there thinking they will want to go to sleep early but after a few drinks turn into everything they hate when sober.

Yeah it's a great idea in theory but not so much in practice!

The only way it could possibly work is if people had to pay a small bit extra to camp there.. Then people who are going to make noise would have a financial incentive to stay in the regular campsite and those who want a bit of peace and quiet can be happy. But even then I'm not sure would it work!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GaryB94

I've heard gates are open at 11:30 for sunday, what time do the first acts start at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

sporina wrote: »
    but you can bring drink into the music area after 11pm yeah?

After 10.30pm you can bring it into the main arena

tmc86 wrote: »
    After 10.30pm you can bring it into the main arena

Is this 100% correct? I've seen a couple of people saying this before but didn't know if it was accurate or not..

Are the bars in the arena closed at 10 pm or something?

Tried to check EP's site to double check but it seems to be down.. They must update it at this time cos it was down at this time aswell a few nights ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Bars close at 10 at all Irish outdoor events. I don't think EP has ever confirmed this 10.30pm thing. It might be an unofficial wink wink kinda thing some of the security go with it while others don't. I've certainly been searched in previous years after 10pm but others say they haven't so I dunno.

• Advertisement

Toast wrote: »
    Bars close at 10 at all Irish outdoor events. I don't think EP has ever confirmed this 10.30pm thing. It might be an unofficial wink wink kinda thing some of the security go with it while others don't. I've certainly been searched in previous years after 10pm but others say they haven't so I dunno.

Was at Indiependence a few weeks back and almost positive that the bars stayed open past 10pm there.. But any big festival I've been to has been 10pm I believe so maybe there's a rule related to the event capacity and bar closing times or something.

Someone asked on fb
    ''When the bars close at 10pm, can you bring some alcohol into the festival? Like last yr '' and EP responded yes. I first read that as meaning the music area but now see it's not that clear and could just mean the campsite..

Mr.S wrote: »
    The past few years after the bars have closed @ 10, anytime i've tried to go in with cans they didn't care at all.

Ah that clears it up then! Thanks for that!

Hadn't seen any info on it on their website in the FAQ's or anything but I guess it's just an unofficial rule as such.

Anyone know the story with the bars inside the arena? Will they just sell Heineken? What sort of prices is it usually? 5 euro for a pint sorta thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Eod100 wrote: »
    Was at Indiependence a few weeks back and almost positive that the bars stayed open past 10pm there.. But any big festival I've been to has been 10pm I believe so maybe there's a rule related to the event capacity and bar closing times or something.
    yeah, indiependence has gotten a bar extension licence until 1:30am the last 2 years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 s0m3b0dy_

Bars close at 10 legally, but my experience with POD in body&soul and forbidden fruit is that we usually stay open untill 11, but that depends on the bar manager/staff working.

bopbuddy wrote: »
    anyone any comedy recommendations?

David O'Doherty will be amazing

s0m3b0dy_ wrote: »
    Bars close at 10 legally, but my experience with POD in body&soul and forbidden fruit is that we usually stay open untill 11, but that depends on the bar manager/staff working.

Baloney when it come to the picnic.

I worked the bars there. We didn't want to work past 10, we wanted to party as well! And they also would have had to pay us more. Our bars would shut down at 10 on the button even if we had a queue.

I'm guessing here, but is it something to do with off licence law? 10pm seems pretty coincidental

• Registered Users Posts: 16 s0m3b0dy_

Baloney when it come to the picnic.

I worked the bars there. We didn't want to work past 10, we wanted to party as well! And they also would have had to pay us more. Our bars would shut down at 10 on the button even if we had a queue.

I'm guessing here, but is it something to do with off licence law? 10pm seems pretty coincidental

Nope..the bars never close at 10 on the button. never. especially if their's queues they erect the barricades when there closing. the off licence law is 10pm for outdoor events in ireland unless they have a bar extension, there will be a late night bar at electric picnic that will go until 2, they'll only sell spirits and mixers, no beers or wines.

Cool. Best of luck with that. I worked the (beer)bars at the picnic and come 10, shop is shut. Barricades go up at five to ten or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Cool. Best of luck with that. I worked the (beer)bars at the picnic and come 10, shop is shut. Barricades go up at five to ten or so.

I remember that too. Even before 10 you are shut out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Anyone gone in campers before? What's the access like, do they search campers for more booze etc? First time bringing a Camper and just wondering what it's like.is there toilets etc up there? Security? Space between campers?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Latest Met Eireann forecast :D
    Friday will be a dry day with sunny spells. Afternoon temperatures will reach 17 or 18 degrees and winds will be mainly light westerly.
    Saturday will be dry for many places but a southwest wind will freshen in western and northwestern areas and there's a risk of a few showers there. Temperatures during the afternoon on Saturday will reach between 18 and 20 degrees, the warmer conditions in the east and southeast.
    The further outlook through the weekend and the early days of next week is for temperatures between 18 and 22 degrees and some good spells of sunshine as high pressure dominates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Can someone please advise which campsite would be the best for people travelling from dublin and from kilkenny to meet in? Like one near both entrances? The dublin crowd are getting the bus and the others are driving from kk, dont want any of us having to walk for miles! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The site isn't that big but Red (Hendrix) is right in the middle for both the coach drop off and the car parks if you want to make everyone walk the same distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you are into some level of quietness, I would suggest one of two things... Either put up you tent late in the evening as they expand the campsites as Friday progresses, or pitch your tent on Friday and then move it to the perimeter on Saturday morning.

What I do with my beer is to bring two cooler boxes filled with ice, one stays in the car & one in the campsite. Every afternoon I get new beers from the car & refill that cooler with beers from my slab, then I have cool beers all weekend. The ice will melt, but the water generally stays cool for the whole weekend.

I also have a fold up sack truck that I got in Lidl a few years ago for €10 - its the best thing since sliced bread...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I also have a fold up sack truck that I got in Lidl a few years ago for €10 - its the best thing since sliced bread...

These are the business, we put out coolbox on the bottom then pile up the bags and bits and bobs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

i use to put about a dozen cans in the freezer thursday eve or early friday morning and freeze them for a few hours, make sure they dont freeze solid and burst.

these then go into a cooler box or bag with ice and you have nice cold cans for Sunday.

Has anyone used the showers before and if so any tips (time to go, what to bring etc)?

Also is the pink moon campsite open to anyone (i.e regular weekend ticket holders)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mo_Nica

Hi,
    I'm getting the bus this year to Electric Picnic from Dublin and I'm wondering how much time it takes, roughly. I know this might depend on time of day, but what were peoples experiences last year?

I'm thinking of getting the 2pm bus, but want to make sure I don't miss any of the gigs. I know it's not that far to Stradbally, but with concert traffic, you never know.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jandek

Where's everyone staying? I stayed in Jimi Hendrix campsite last year, but may try something different this year, what's the Oscar Wilde campsite like? I hear it's a bit quieter than Hendrix and also beside the forest rave

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Just a heads up for all you folks traveling from Dublin. JJ Kavanagh's do a return to Portlaoise for €10. There is a feeder bus from train station in Portlaoise to the site is €5 each way.

Thats €20 as opposed to €28. I know only €8 but you could get your drink supplies in Portlaoise, and €8 is like 4 cans or most of the cost a pack of fags. Might be of interest to students.

It may also give you a chance to have a few decent Pints in Portlaoise.

Have fun folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

No pink moon is only open to those who have booked pink moon accommodation. There are other showers in the campsites

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement