Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Dunnes - €18

Jesus. The questions are getting a little ridiculous and lazy.

"Can someone help me put up my tent?"

only if you let me know where i can buy beer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭fits

Eod100 wrote: »

Thing I don't like about wellies is there's always so much space (if not around the foot then around the leg) that it makes walking on solid ground annoying so walking in mud is a disaster. But hiking boots are usually too short so you'd possibly sink in mud and the mud would go above your shoe and all over your pants.. So guess wellies are the lesser of two evils really! :P

I had hiking boots at body and soul and they were grand with skinny jeans. Stradbally is a pretty dry site, if tomorrow and friday are fine, it *should* be ok. That said the driest sites in Ireland are swamped at the moment *shakes fist at the heavens*. I'll put wellies in the car, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Ooooh managed to notch a VIP tic for it! At the risk of sounding incredibly cheap and mean are they strict with the 30 quid charatable donation on top of the tic!? Was won in a competition and wondering what the jazz was with it

Getting close now 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

fits wrote: »
    I had hiking boots at body and soul and they were grand with skinny jeans. Stradbally is a pretty dry site, if tomorrow and friday are fine, it *should* be ok. That said the driest sites in Ireland are swamped at the moment *shakes fist at the heavens*. I'll put wellies in the car, just in case.

Yeah I've a feeling it's going to be muddy but hopefully I'll be proven wrong!

Bring wellies and the hiking boots is a good call alright!

-=al=- wrote: »
    Ooooh managed to notch a VIP tic for it! At the risk of sounding incredibly cheap and mean are they strict with the 30 quid charatable donation on top of the tic!? Was won in a competition and wondering what the jazz was with it

Getting close now 8)

haha the ticket's worth close to 240, you'd only have to pay just over 10% of that..and it's to charity!

Out of curiosity which competition was it? Have entered close to 20 myself to no avail! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Getting close now 8)

haha the ticket's worth close to 240, you'd only have to pay just over 10% of that..and it's to charity!

Out of curiosity which competition was it? Have entered close to 20 myself to no avail! :(

Was looking round for ticks there yesterday and got the VIP one for 220 without noticing the mandatory donation making it a loverly 250! I don't particularly mind that much but just wondering what the story was with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Is the map for the site out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I was down at EP yesterday. Its very muddy, although I was mostly backstage. I don't think it will dry out much before Friday so definitely bring wellies or my personal preference of hiking boots

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

Is the map for the site out yet?

www.electricpicnic.ie

Was looking round for ticks there yesterday and got the VIP one for 220 without noticing the mandatory donation making it a loverly 250! I don't particularly mind that much but just wondering what the story was with it

Ah sorry, misunderstood you! Thought you meant you won the ticket!

Not sure if all VIP tickets require a charitable donation but I guess if the one you bought does then there's not a whole lot of room for dodging it..

The person selling it to you could've at least brought down the price a bit so you ended up paying face value (or less) rather than more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭McSheez

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It goes something like this:

Start a band, write some (good) original material, tour extensively, make promoters aware of your band and how good you are, use the bonds with those promoters to make bigger promoters notice you, achieve some success with sales of tickets and recordings, get one of the cast of The Big Bang Theory to were your band t-shirt on TV, play on the Late Late show with Ryan Tubridy, play Electrical Picnic, play Jay Leno, the world is your oyster...

That's defo the long way around...

Plenty of unsigned acts playing,(some of an incredible standard (everyone needs to see the Bambir) find out which smaller stages are there next year and then just ask them, send a demo, try get them to see you play. Pester and enquire. That or gig your ass off and hope you're asked. Very achievable, good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Ah sorry, misunderstood you! Thought you meant you won the ticket!

Not sure if all VIP tickets require a charitable donation but I guess if the one you bought does then there's not a whole lot of room for dodging it..

The person selling it to you could've at least brought down the price a bit so you ended up paying face value (or less) rather than more!

Afaik you only have to pay the donation if you collect at the box office, if you already have the ticket in hand you just have to enter as normal, the fee has probably already been paid. (Not 100% on this though)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 justmcguire

Hey all,

Really recommend going to see these guys.
    John Walsh and Pepe Rodriguez, playing some real flamenco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ2cjVZ052k&feature=plcp

Playing at 5.30pm Saturday in Fossetts Tent.

I know John, and they got added at short noice, so no real publicity for them :(

From John
    "i dont know if anyone will show up
    but we'll try to make it a nice experience for ye anyway
    you wont hear the sound we'll be doing anywhere else at the picnic
    we decided not to dumb anything down
    well we never do anyway
    so there may be strange chords
    and strange rhythms
    amongst the more normal stuff"

They'll playing original stuff as well as paco de lucia, vicente amigo and jose manuel leon.

See you there. Spread the word!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

they sell VIP tickets for 30 extra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

Mr.S wrote: »
    VIP / Guestlist requires a 30euro donation to charity, exchanged at the box office, no way around it really.

Performers tickets that a lot of people are getting (bright pink) don't need to pay the charity fee, as for as I know.

I won VIP tickets on a radio comp. heard nothing about this ??? Not complaining really but they should have said. Also didn't know I had to go to the box office with them thanks for that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Count_Hook

fits wrote: »
    Hiking boots ftw! way more comfortable and easier to walk in than wellies. (unless its really really wet, which it wont be)
    +1

Wellies €18 - hiking boots ~€100

I suppose if you would use them a few times a year it would be worth it. But i wont be seeing a mucky field for another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Anyone who is still to pick up essentials, Dunnes are doing a chair and a sleeping bag for €16. Not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

hey, would anyone kno from experience if you can still get parking after 5/half 5 on friday, I got a poxy repeat that day and the gob****es decided to move it into the afternoon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

3 Person tent for 12€ (not sure how safe that will be if it rains...)

I'd almost guarantee that it won't be at all waterproof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 sananman

Where would be the best place to park if staying in the VIP camping? Its one hell of a trek from the abbeyleix main carparks. What are the chances of parking in family parking and walking to the bus dropoff entrance? I'll do the walk if I have to but I'll be lugging my sisters gear as well as my own so the closer the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

'' How frequent are the festival buses from EP into Portlaoise?

Just found out I have to work on the Monday which means I have to get back to Cavan for around 10pm on Sunday night

Usually I would drive for the weekend but my partner needs the car this weekend.

I am sorted for getting to EP on Friday but need to work out the best way to get back to Cavan on Sunday night. There are no buses (as far as I can find out) going from EP to Cavan on Sunday apart from a mini bus that isnt leaving until 2am on Monday morning.

I was thinking of getting a festival bus to Portlaoise then get the train to Hueston. Get the bus into Busarus and then the bus to Virginia. However that all hinges on me being able to get the 17:58 bus from Portlaoise.

Has anybody any experience on getting the train back on a Sunday? Would it be mental busy, would I need to be there hours before to get a seat?

Thanks''
    Contact Martleys re shuttle bus

http://www.martleys.com/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=55

get kavanaghs it 5 euro single from portlaoise to dublin or the dublin coach which is 3 euro for student 5 normally to red cow and luas to bus aras

http://dublincoach.ie it leaves every hour on the half hour 24 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

anyone know of any decent cheap cooler bags available?

i know argos have a few different ones around 12 or 13 euro both have good reviews..

just leaving it in the car, be good if it could keep beers and water even half cooled.. nothing special really

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Can anyone direct me to a timetable for Body & Soul area? Want to find out when Paul Buchanan is playing but can't find anywhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

gazzer wrote: »
    How frequent are the festival buses from EP into Portlaoise?

Just found out I have to work on the Monday which means I have to get back to Cavan for around 10pm on Sunday night :(

Usually I would drive for the weekend but my partner needs the car this weekend.

I am sorted for getting to EP on Friday but need to work out the best way to get back to Cavan on Sunday night. There are no buses (as far as I can find out) going from EP to Cavan on Sunday apart from a mini bus that isnt leaving until 2am on Monday morning.

I was thinking of getting a festival bus to Portlaoise then get the train to Hueston. Get the bus into Busarus and then the bus to Virginia. However that all hinges on me being able to get the 17:58 bus from Portlaoise.

Has anybody any experience on getting the train back on a Sunday? Would it be mental busy, would I need to be there hours before to get a seat?

Thanks

https://twitter.com/MartleysCoaches/status/240488185468166146/photo/1/large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 robk84

BananaR wrote: »
    Can anyone direct me to a timetable for Body & Soul area? Want to find out when Paul Buchanan is playing but can't find anywhere.....

Here ya go

Tradiohead Sunday at 5 sounds interesting

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2012/08/29/electric-picnic-2012-get-planning/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

maximoose wrote: »
    Anyone who is still to pick up essentials, Dunnes are doing a chair and a sleeping bag for €16. Not too shabby.
    3 Person tent for 12€ (not sure how safe that will be if it rains...) and 3€ ground mats as well!
    Toast wrote: »
    I'd almost guarantee that it won't be at all waterproof.

Just on this, I had a Dunnes tent last year and it was grand, even after I lost the roof cover for it and had to make a makeshift one out of twine and binbags! Check the waterproof rating before you buy it; anything around 1000mm or less will only hold up for showers. The Dunnes one I had was 1500mm, which is pretty good I think. Have my sister's one this year though which is 2000mm (and also sadly polka-dotted! :pac:)

No matter how good your tent is though, chances are the inside of it is gonna get a bit wet from condensation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

robk84 wrote: »

Hmmm...No luck. Is there a main stage in B&S or are these the only 2? Mr Buchanan is being characteristically elusive. He is not on any of the main stages, so guess he has to be in B&S somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

robk84 wrote: »

From their FB:

"Tradiohead take the songs of Radiohead and re-imagine them using instruments more often associated with Irish traditional music"

May give these lads a look :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

BananaR wrote: »
    Hmmm...No luck. Is there a main stage in B&S or are these the only 2? Mr Buchanan is being characteristically elusive. He is not on any of the main stages, so guess he has to be in B&S somewhere.
    http://electricpicnic.ie/downloads/EPtimetable2012.pdf
    B&S Main Stage, Sunday, 21:30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement