Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

cashback wrote: »
    Was hoping they might have some footage from EP on the RTE website. Instead it's mainly excruciating interviews like this.

Christ, that was unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

He obviously googled Of Monsters and Men, read that they were the Icelandic Mumfords and Sons and was happy with that amount of research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

Came home last night after Bat for Lashes.
    Got stopped at Garda checkpoint and breathalysed about 5 minutes outside Stradbally. I'm sure they will be out again this morning so take some time to sober up fully if your driving home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭tigger123

Anyone notice any difference in the crowd who went this year? It's the first year in a long time I've missed EP, I was kinda curious if the cancellation of Oxegen this year was going to effect it?

(Had my tent robbed while I was in it last year, so it kinda put a dampner on the experience, just wondering what it was like this year).

Didn't think it was much different to last year. Everyone I met we had a great time with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Our first time down there, we had an epic time, are exhausted today!

Metronomy were our highlight, they were absolutely amazing live. Loved just being able to wander around so many different areas and soak up the atmosphere and see all sorts of acts you'd never normally see.

Loved the vibe down there (more so the first two days as Sunday was kinda crowded with day trippers) and we'll definitely go again next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Fantastic weekend. Absolutely loved it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Of Monsters and Men and Ben Howard were the highlights for me. Two great, lively sets with great atmosphere. Won't be long till those guys are headlining...

Fastest weekend ever.

Only 363 sleeps til EP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Friday and Saturday were great, vibe changed a bit Sunday with all the day trippers and alot of dodgy looking scobes hanging about but all in all a great weekend with Grandaddy and The Maccabees on Friday and the Cure on Saturday the highlight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Had a fantastic weekend.

The Killers were unreal, I'd defo agree they've improved vastly in their live performances.

Also really enjoyed Bat For Lashes, Cure, Ben Howard, Alabama Shakes, Vaccines and The Maccabes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

scary wrote: »
    vibe changed a bit Sunday with all the day trippers and alot of dodgy looking scobes hanging about

I agree, a guy working security was camped beside me, and was telling us about the mayhem down in the oscar wilde campsite, robbings, drugs, people jumping the fence to get in.

One thing I will say, a lot of the security or guys in the blue bibs were clueless. I was heading away last night back to my carpark, and knew where to go, but wanted to confirm the way out by car. The guy in the blue bib was pointing me in a totally different direction. Useless. There were many other scenarios like that. "dunno mate, ask the next person you see"......

I thought the Maccabees weren't great to be honest, as much as I adore them. I don't really like the new album though so maybe that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Dutchy

Great weekend but a marked increase it the amount of rashers there on Sunday. Having said that, didn't see too much trouble or anti social behaviour bar one lad walking around with his nut popping out from the top of his shorts. Bring on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭midlouth

Would there be a podcast anywhere online of the gigs? I wanna hear the Villagers new material if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Best Picnic ive been too :D

had a great weekend, the highlights for me was the forest rave on sat night (loco & jam) absolutely quality set... the killers were amazing, couldnt believe how good they were live and ive always wanted to see them...
    orbital were good, played lots of new stuff and that was good as ive seen them alot so was good to hear some new tunes

the strypes were brilliant also when i saw them 1st act i saw on friday

richie hatwin was fairly crap, dj w!ld was better who was on before him

:mad: the stewards with the bibs (i think they were all english) were USELESS..
    i was heading back to my carpark from a diff carpark and was unsure and asked them and the same guy THREE TIMES sent me in the completely wrong direction and kept repeating himself so much i was close to getting in a row, i was lost for about an hour. if anyone remembers someone lost on sat night about 5am that was me ha! but besides that it was a great weekend

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Had a great weekend. The Roots killed it. Epic

Haha at anyone who didn't go because they thought it was going to be full of scumbags, it really wasn't at all. Had zero hassles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭budgemook

So similar crowd to most other years. Good. I didn't go for the first time in about 5 years this year but mainly because of money. I did justify it by saying it'll be overrun by Oxegen scumbags but that wasn't the main reason. Delighted to hear it hasn't been ruined and am looking forward to next year. Hopefully the likes of The Killers won't be playing ;-)

One question - was security any different than before because of the Phoenix Park messin? The Noel Gallagher gig had fairly tight security because of it. Picnic was always grand for sneaking a couple of tins in to the festival site, was that still the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I was well impressed with Bombay Bicycle club. Not seen them before, or heard much from them.

Well that's up there as one of the best weekends of my life. We were blessed with the weather! Hope ye all enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

First year I wasn't gonna go, but got a few free passes for Sunday and decided to head down. Really glad I did. The weather was amazing, it really makes a difference to the whole vibe, I reckons. Didn't see any scrotebags down there, which I was expecting with no Oxegen, so that was nice. Bat For Lashes was decent, James Murphy DJ set was great, especially as I happened upon it. I knew he was DJing this year but would have thought he'd have played Sat night. So a nice surprise.

Spent a bit of time in Body and Soul listening to a pretty sweet band, no idea of their name, with a cool Edgar Winter Group vibe. Thought they were excellent and a highlight for me. Mmoths were impressive too. Tbh, I thought it was mad everything was finished by 4am. Ended up just sitting in the back of a place at the forest rave site til 7.30 and then going to bed. I guess that's what happens when you only go down for one day.

In other news, if anyone happened to find an LG smartphone in Body and Soul with a sort of Moroccan style plastic protective case holla at me. My girlfriend lost it and we tried lost and found, Garda station etc with no joy. Hopefully it'll turn up over the next few days. Hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

budgemook wrote: »
    So similar crowd to most other years. Good. I didn't go for the first time in about 5 years this year but mainly because of money. I did justify it by saying it'll be overrun by Oxegen scumbags but that wasn't the main reason. Delighted to hear it hasn't been ruined and am looking forward to next year. Hopefully the likes of The Killers won't be playing ;-)

One question - was security any different than before because of the Phoenix Park messin? The Noel Gallagher gig had fairly tight security because of it. Picnic was always grand for sneaking a couple of tins in to the festival site, was that still the case?

I thought security was nice and relaxed but that's all down to the crowd who attended. I was only there yesterday. Arrived at the car park at 11am and walked through first two security check-points drinking a can and nothing said. Had a small back pack on me with few cans and a nagan of whiskey. Security asked if I had any glass, I said "No" and off I went - no problems. Bag was never checked.

Everyone was sooo relaxed and in such great form that trouble was never going to be an issue and that vibe filtered to the security staff who knew it was going to be peaceful and had the common sense to allow people with 4 or 5 cans through!

Really enjoyable day/night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

madma wrote: »
    :mad: the stewards with the bibs (i think they were all english) were USELESS..
    i was heading back to my carpark from a diff carpark and was unsure and asked them and the same guy THREE TIMES sent me in the completely wrong direction and kept repeating himself so much i was close to getting in a row, i was lost for about an hour. if anyone remembers someone lost on sat night about 5am that was me ha! but besides that it was a great weekend

It was a bit of a confusing layout with carpark C in the middle and A and B to each side as you walked out from that camping exit. There was a lack of signage also.

I thought the atmosphere was much better on Friday and Saturday. Sunday got a bit too crowded out for my liking.

The Alan/Steve thing was going on in the campsites again this year :rolleyes:
    If you value your sleep at all, you're better off getting a hotel, campervan or staying nearby somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

We were there with a group of our friends who have gone every year since EP started, it was our first. They said the crowd was pretty much the same but on Sunday afternoon there was a fair few scummers around the place, probably for The Killers (probably the only act on the bill they recognised). In saying that though, we didn't see any trouble at all and we were all around the arena everyday from early in the morning until everything shut up in the early morning.

The searching was random on the way in. We were queuing up (not a long wait which was great) and the guys ahead of us had their bags gone through because the staff were disposing of deodrant cans and glass but eventhough we had 5 bags between 3 of us they still didn't search us, just waved us through. The security at the entrances basically said that the staff were searching for anything that could be used as a weapon. They certainly didn't appear to be concerned about drugs, although I'm sure if you had 50 pills in plain view they'd have something to say.

Highlights for us were The Roots, Orbital and Hot Chip. Loved the silent disco, great tunes in there last night. Also discovered a few great bands I hadn't listened to before which is always good.

It was our first year and we're definitely going to go back next year. We went to Oxegen in 2010 specifically to just see Goldfrapp (and then saw her again the following October) and Oxegen is a million miles away from EP. So chilled out, such a good crowd.

Personally, I found the security staff really good, no bother with them but sounds like I was just lucky with who I spoke to. I think the security did a good job, I didn't see any trouble and nobody interfered with our enjoyment of the weekend so that to me is a win.

Here's to next year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Dear Sun,

Thank you for joining us at Electric Picnic, Your presence was greatly appreciated by all and made the weekend that much better.

Regards,

Picnic'ers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Motorist wrote: »
    It was a bit of a confusing layout with carpark C in the middle and A and B to each side as you walked out from that camping exit. There was a lack of signage also.

I thought the atmosphere was much better on Friday and Saturday. Sunday got a bit too crowded out for my liking.

The Alan/Steve thing was going on in the campsites again this year :rolleyes:
    If you value your sleep at all, you're better off getting a hotel, campervan or staying nearby somewhere.

yeah The carpark system was a mess.. no signs at all only when in there..at that stage i was going back to get more drink and meet up with the gang back at the tent in the campsite.. i should have asked the other stewards as the same guy was the only one that would answer.. thought it was a joke that were 6 or 7 of them and they couldnt answer correctly to which direction the carpark was and it was only bloody in front of them.. head was wrecked wandering around looking for it, but it was for about an hour, had a belter of a weekend except for that
    i sleep in the car myself so dont get the best of sleeps wish id the money to get a campervan, i have to do it some year!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Had a ball at it too, first time being at a festival, and scored some nice airbeds, roll mats and tents as people abandoned everything in the campsite and ran for their cars!

(and before anyone shouts at me, a friend knew the head of security and gave us the all clear to "recycle" the tents and gear!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

We miss sitting in a sunny field listening to random music already!

We camped in Pink Moon and have to say it was great, just for the nice clean toilets alone! Worth the money though and the crowd staying there were very chilled...

My only teeny tiny gripe which won't apply to most people were that we're both veggie and the selection wasn't as great as we would have thought...apart from that the whole thing was brilliant, I'd book us tickets for next year right now if we could!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

So depressed it's finished but probably my fav picnic of the last 3 years

unbelievable time so sad its over :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    We miss sitting in a sunny field listening to random music already!

We camped in Pink Moon and have to say it was great, just for the nice clean toilets alone! Worth the money though and the crowd staying there were very chilled...

My only teeny tiny gripe which won't apply to most people were that we're both veggie and the selection wasn't as great as we would have thought...apart from that the whole thing was brilliant, I'd book us tickets for next year right now if we could!

I'm veggie too and never had a problem getting a decent feed.
    Pie Minister is always a good bet, veggie gravy too!
    There was a place in Body & Soul called Natasha's and they do all raw veggie food. Their miso was a bit too gingery for me but the breakfast is great.
    Most places that aren't strictly burger joints have at least 1 veggie option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement