Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Pie minister was vastly overrated.

falaffel around the other side was my food highlight, palestinian grub, big portions and tasty out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Just would've killed a veggie burger, was jealous of everyone else with their meat ones:)

Saying that, the freshly made pizzas on the corner were pretty amazing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I must say there was a very nice crowd at EP. Lots of family and kids too and overall a friendly atmosphere, security were fine too.
    The only band I actually managed to actually hear (for reasons) was the killers for 2 or 3 songs, and I must say the sound for them was pretty good.

My only major problem was the amount of people openly pissing against fences, and I saw a few **** and taking dumps in the open too. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

My only major problem was the amount of people openly pissing against fences, and I saw a few **** and taking dumps in the open too. :(
    tumblr_m8bnt5jCfB1qbcy6a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

Would've killed for a veggie burger too. :)

Spotted Gourmet Burger stall and thought I was sorted for our dinner...

drooling_homer.gif%3Fw%3D314%26h%3D360

...they only served the classic though. So disappointed. :)

Plenty of places did have their one veggie option but would've loved to see a few more dedicated vegan / veggie friendly places. I'm always skeptical when places just throw the token veggie option on the menu. "Hi... is the pesto vegetarian?" "That's right... no meat!" :D

Food to one side the weekend was just the business.

Ticked all the boxes for us.

Great music - check (nice mix)
    Great weather - check (my new wellies never left the bag)
    Great crowd - check (for the vast, vast majority)

Didn't see any open **** (lol... ) but did see a very classy lady squatting behind the ice-cream van beside the atm pissing all over her 30 sets of tights / knickers / hot pants that she had around her ankles. It was about 5pm and there was no queue at the toilets all of 30 seconds walk away... Plenty of ^^ those ^^ faces in the pizza queue. :D

Great weekend, roll on 2013. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I really, really hope Metronomy come over to do another gig, they were amazing live!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

W@nking in public?

You sure they weren't just having more than three shakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lmkman

security haven't a clue exited last night by funfair and asked if this wold take me to car park. They said straight on. Asked another security guard and he told me I was going right direction. Ended up on timahoe road. Security guard at gate suggested I get a taxi back because it was a long walk to Abbeyleix road. Doubled back the way I came. Not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Had a fab time at my first Electric Picnic. Personally didnt see any trouble at all. We stayed in the camper van section and it was fine.

My highlights were the Boyd and Soul arena, what an amazing place.

Music highlights were:
    Christy Moore (atmosphere in the tent was unreal)
    Kodaline (Body & Soul)
    Grimes
    Orbital
    Ham Sandwich on sunday in body & SOul
    Elbow
    Glen Hansard
    Villagers
    The rave in the forest on the sat night was unreal!!

Got my photo taken with Mr Motivator, lol, also saw Brian Kerr there.

Cant wait for next year already!!

andreac wrote: »
    Had a fab time at my first Electric Picnic. Personally didnt see any trouble at all. We stayed in the camper van section and it was fine.

My highlights were the Boyd and Soul arena, what an amazing place.

Music highlights were:
    Christy Moore (atmosphere in the tent was unreal)
    Kodaline (Body & Soul)
    Grimes
    Orbital
    Ham Sandwich on sunday in body & SOul
    Elbow
    Glen Hansard
    Villagers
    The rave in the forest on the sat night was unreal!!

Got my photo taken with Mr Motivator, lol, also saw Brian Kerr there.

Cant wait for next year already!!

Brian Kerr is a massive music head. Huge Therapy? fan by all accounts.

The above sounds ridiculous. It's completely true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Great weekend. Probably one of the better picnics.

Everything just worked. Good crowd, great food and the music was top class

I found I went to see a lot more Irish then every other picnic highlight been Ham Sandwich on the Salty dog stage some time on Saturday night.

Surprise of the weekend was Ed Sheeran never heard of his stuff before and he really had the crowd going.
    Disappointment was Sigur Ros

All in all roll on 2013 which will make it my 10th picnic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Sbtrkt was my stand out favourite, amazing gig, Ben Howard was brilliant too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

I wonder what the attendance was for paying weekend campers. I'd say it was a fraction of previous years. I see they still manage to put out the lie every year that they get 30,000 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Went to the Picnic in 2010 and said I wouldn't go back after a few bad experiences there, however I managed to get a free ticket this year and decided to return. Won't be doing it again.

While there were a lot of great bands and artists there are a lot of low points for me... for starters, the layout is terrible, a big improvement would be more sign posts! The toilet situation is the worst i've ever seen. The water points are virtually non existent. Also the worst i've seen at a festival.

Crowd wise seems most people are there for a drink and/or drug binge rather then to listen to any actual music.

There's pretty much no sense of camaraderie amongst campers, felt like I was constantly looking over my shoulder. I arrived on the Saturday but my sister and a lot of her friends came on the Friday, they all camped in the Hendrix camp, all robbed on the Friday night.

Electric Picnic just doesn't stand up against it's European rivals, they seriously need to pull up their socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I wonder what the attendance was for paying weekend campers. I'd say it was a fraction of previous years. I see they still manage to put out the lie every year that they get 30,000 people.

Maybe the 30,000 figure includes Sunday day trippers though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Mr.S wrote: »
    Security was a bit meh, not once was my wristband checked properly, loads and loads of people snook in too.

The searches into the arena where non existent, they didn't seem to bother searching anyone without a bag so as long as you could fit drink into pockets or your under a hoody etc you where grand.

Got my wristband checked every single time I went from the campsite to the arena. And usually by 2 different staff.

Was only patted down twice. All the other times I could have snuck drink into the arena no problem.

I had friends who weren't let in with drink after 11 pm though. They were sober when it happened so not too sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 altrock

Had a wonderful experience at EP 2012, best in 7 years. Can't get Todd Terje's Inspector Norse out of my head and Staff Benda Bilili are WILD! Highlights were Kormac, Trinity Orchestra, Crystal Castles (yes!), Young Wonder, Jonathan Wilson, Michael Kiwanuka. Have to admit the Cure was my reason for being there and, eh, well, 3.3 hours leaves lots of gaps between hits.
    Have to hand it to the organisers, they sorted out the sound on mainstage this year. Cosby tent was a little muted and Patrick Watson would have been awesome with a bit more projection.

All in all, awesome!

Eod100 wrote: »
    Got my wristband checked every single time I went from the campsite to the arena. And usually by 2 different staff.

Was only patted down twice. All the other times I could have snuck drink into the arena no problem.

I had friends who weren't let in with drink after 11 pm though. They were sober when it happened so not too sure why.

Me too from the Campsite / Campervan, I had friends who had staff wrist bands who were never searched in the past, get searched this year.

Though another mate who had a production pass could, so we were sorted there.

I was down on Thursday night and on Friday morning I could see loads of security looking lost and looking at the signs.
    It would be nice if they could put up maps just say in art and place them in locations for people, but then again, getting lost has being part of the experience.

Overall, I had a great time, not long in the door, yesterday was like the sunday in 05 weather wise, which was the sealer this year, it makes everything easier.

I say I was one of a handfull there who saw something happens at EP and the Felle.

I really enjoyed James Murphy's set, body and soul (radio shack) and so many others.

Time for bed and normality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Léan wrote: »
    Went to the Picnic in 2010 and said I wouldn't go back after a few bad experiences there, however I managed to get a free ticket this year and decided to return. Won't be doing it again.

While there were a lot of great bands and artists there are a lot of low points for me... for starters, the layout is terrible, a big improvement would be more sign posts! The toilet situation is the worst i've ever seen. The water points are virtually non existent. Also the worst i've seen at a festival.

Crowd wise seems most people are there for a drink and/or drug binge rather then to listen to any actual music.

There's pretty much no sense of camaraderie amongst campers, felt like I was constantly looking over my shoulder. I arrived on the Saturday but my sister and a lot of her friends came on the Friday, they all camped in the Hendrix camp, all robbed on the Friday night.

Electric Picnic just doesn't stand up against it's European rivals, they seriously need to pull up their socks.

all I can say this is that I've no doubt you're in the massive minority as regards your opinions.

I've been to every EP and this was one of the smoothest I've ever experienced. I was concerned like others about the 'Oxegen transfarees' etc but I've never felt safer and happier at EP. The buzz was great, helped by the weather and also by what seemed to me in the most part good humoured yet pretty authoritative security. There was also more cops than I remember in recent years. Most people I talked to seemed to agree. I'm not gettin any younger, I love a good time but I don't get f*cked up so I can assure you I'm sensitive about these things too and very aware of what's going on around me.

The jacks are what you'd expect. Fine for the most part with the odd shocker. You just get on with it.

It kinda boggles my mind how someone can get a free ticket to a weekend like this and then come back with nothing but a list of complaints! I guess EP ain't for you, which is fair enough.

As for the music and good times, too many and plenty to mention!

roll on autumn gig season and 2013 festival season :)

Sleep tight fair Electric Picnicers, see you soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Léan wrote: »

Sorry to hear about your bad experience but have to say, for anyone reading this and considering EP for next year, this is certainly not typical, not from what I've heard and seen anyway.
    There's bad crowds at every festival, a friend of mine had her whole tent and everything in it robbed at Benicassim.
    Eod100 wrote: »

Same as, everytime I tried to go anywhere my wristband was checked (as was everyone in my group).

Never got searched (hilarious the way they were only searching men because women are so timid and innocent you know) but saw them searching quite a few people and taking drink and other things off people going in, although I did see people manage to bring drink in too. Saw 4 lads being searched at the main entrance, made unzip their trousers and they got the full pat down, security went through everything including their pouches of tobacco etc. Did notice that people who repeatedly tried to bring alcohol into the main arena were then refused entry but I'm sure they chanced their arm at other entrances without an issue.

Had to laugh at people giving out to the security staff about the state of the toilets, it's not their fault that some festival goers have no manners. If you wouldn't do it in your own bathroom then why do it at a festival? The public toilets near the entrance to the boutique camping area were absolutely stinking come Sunday though. I saw Panda trucks arriving and leaving numerous times over the weekend though so I'm assuming it was just (what I presume is) a makeshift septic tank type set-up that couldn't cope with the volume of people and the disgusting things they were doing. There were a few times over the weekend where the staff tried to cut off access to portaloos that obviously needed cleaning etc. but festival goers kept just forcing the fencing open to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Surprise of the weekend was Ed Sheeran never heard of his stuff before and he really had the crowd going.
    Disappointment was Sigur Ros

Weird how musical tastes differ lol. I thought Sigur Ros were the highlight of the weekend. Just brilliant and just a pity they could not have played for longer. I was going to check out a bit of Ed Sheeran. I don't really like him but checked out a recent live performance from a UK festival, and thought he was absolutely rubbish. I can't see what the fuss is. He's grand for the leaving cert crowd. But hey, that's why there are multiple bands on multiple stages, to cater for all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

back home and feeling tired but I had another great picnic. Highlights for me were The XX, Hot Chip and Richie Hawtin's set was feckin excellent.
    Caribou Vs 4 Tet DJ set was also brilliant.
    Orbital were the main act I wanted to see and they didn't disappoint. Pity they didn't play Satan but I was expecting lots from Wonky which is what we got, no problem with that either.

Can anyone tell me the story with Crystal Castles, they only played 30 minutes before exiting the stage promptly. The timetable said they were due to play for an hour. I'd say Alice was giving the stage security a right headache whenever she ventured over to the crowd.

I noticed the large influx of little scobes on the Sunday morning as I was exiting the site to get some more beers from the car.
    I thought the forest stage was poor, I don't like the new stage layout.

Food choice as always was good. One main issue I had was the lack of choice in beers. A friend of mine can't drink beer and only drinks cider but since that main beer sponsor doesn't have a cider in their range they decide to limit their offering :mad:

All in all though, another great weekend and I'll be back next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

Have to agree with the above. I've been to the 4 last EPs and this was the smoothest run and hassle free I've been to so far.
    I was in Hendrix near the Blue Bus (pizza and DJ) and I didn't see or hear of any hassle. Sure there were a few groups of lads there who seemed to be more interested in spending their €230 on sitting by tents drinking all day and night but they didn't cause any hassle to anyone.

Saw lots of great bands, highlights for me were The Horrors, XX, Metronomy, Kimbra, Grimes and Bat for Lashes.

Food stalls were great in the arena and in Hendrix, no complaints and the many ice-cream vans made a killing on Saturday and Sunday.
    The queue for the showers in Hendrix on Sunday morning were insane. Fire wardens threatened to close the place as it was blocking the whole path up.

One complaint would be the placing of bands in certain tents. Some acts were in far too big for chosen tent and others in too small. Richie Hawley needed bigger tent as security had it closed off several times, Squarepusher far too big for Electric Arena, Van Dyke Parks should have been in smaller tent (but he was still class)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It's Richard Hawley!! :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

The toilets in Warhol smelled really, really bad to the point I almost got sick. They were the metal ones with a trench underneath. I found the portaloo ones to be much better.

I had my wristband checked everywhere, sometimes 2 or 3 times going through the one gate. Didn't get searched because I'm a girl, but did see them searching men, especially on Sunday when there were much larger numbers going through.

Was my first festival & I enjoyed it. Didn't see any trouble or hear of anyone around me having things robbed etc. Thought it was a little too packed on Sunday for me. My only real big disappointment was that there is so, so much to do and it's impossible to fit in a fraction of all the things there.

Curious, was anyone breathalyzed on the way home? I was expecting we would be on the way out this morning but we weren't.

A few friends were breathalysed.

Regarding toilets, we were in Car Park B where the toilets were horrible at night. I managed to get to the toilets right after they'd been cleaned where there was 4 full toilet rolls just stuffed in the toilet by someone who had gotten a shimmering toilet but felt that no one else should. You can't clean them 4 times a day because they take a good while to clean so the best you can hope for is once or twice a day.

That said, Glasto has toilet fairies they employ...with firy wings and everything, who go around and clean toilets for the day, but people have to play their part too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭fits

I had a fantastic weekend. I've been to every EP except 2010 and this was my best so far! I stayed off site this time which helped a lot.

Musical highlights were The XX, Sigur Ros, Jesse Boykins III, SBTRKT

Crowd was slightly different Sunday but I didnt see any trouble at all. And I thought while you might get through one check point without a wristband, there were approximately five checks between stradbally and the main arena. wouldnt be too easy to get in without one at all, which is as it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

Was my first EP. I’ve been to lots of concerts and festivals and EP is as good as any.

In the general the crowd was sound. It was great to see folks there with Kids. As others have said there was more scumbags about on Sunday.

The security guys were all decent. Makes a nice difference to the knuckle head hardman lads you get at other concerts. The only problem was that none of them knew the site at all. They should have had maps. The signage was terrible too. The toilets were fine. Could have done with more though.

I agree with the person who questioned what stages some acts were on. I would have thought the xx and siguor ros would be better indoors.

For the price I’d expect a program or guide to be available. These are minor gripes though. It was amazing weekend. I will be back.

My highlights:

The Cure
    Mark Lanagahn
    Richard Hawley
    Hot Chip
    The Antlers
    Lee Scratch Perry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 cquinn_

what were the killers like?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement