Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

was brilliant to see paulaner for sale..even though i had my own beers snuck in i couldnt help but have a few paulaner also!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Great weekend. Trying to decide what was the song of the festival for me, it was between cure - pictures of you and todd terje - inspector norse and i think terje won out.

the casa bacardi just went mental for it, i was pogoing up the front and some girl jumped up and caught me in the chin, cut my tongue up real bad!

i couldn't get into tent for hot chip, so wasn't great for me. junior boys were good but 20 mins late and finished up on time.

daytime secutiry at main arena entrance didn't seem to care about drink being brought in and then once it hit 7pm, new event security with yellow tshirts were nazis about alcohol. i was caught loads of times but just keep walking back until i got in. they didn't care if a huge queue formed, i took a video here:

i couldn't believe how empty tent was for squarepusher on saturday. i'm not a big fan and didn't really like it, i don't think i recognised a thing he played!

hudson mohawke was immense, lot better than i expected, a perfect way to get the crowd going on saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Mr.S wrote: »
    Security was a bit meh, not once was my wristband checked properly, loads and loads of people snook in too.

The searches into the arena where non existent, they didn't seem to bother searching anyone without a bag so as long as you could fit drink into pockets or your under a hoody etc you where grand.

i don't know what you were at, bags were searched twice everytime i went into the festival site and wristbands were checked 3 times, always tugging at the metal to make sure it was on tight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Had a brilliant weekend. Managed to see 22 different artists, which is more than I've ever been to at a festival before. As a result I didn't get to any of the Body & Soul/Mindfield stuff that I always say I'm gonna do next time but if my only real complaint is that there's too much to do then there's fear of me! :p Actually thought the toilet situation was better than the past two years; obviously was a bit worse on the Sunday but for the first two nights they were grand.

Biggest highlight for me was probably Bat for Lashes; that high note in the middle of "Horse and I" and the entire performance of "Laura" gave me shivers. Other highlights were The xx, Sigur Rós (who sound so much better live than on record; "Glósóli" is now gonna be played at my wedding/funeral/something), Crystal Castles (yeah it was a short set but I was right up the front and it was fúcking insane!), Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs and Cathy Davey (really belted it out for every song, and was also quite funny on stage.)

Biggest let down was leaving the site today. The three days completely flew; it felt so much shorter than last year's festival for some reason. Time flies when you're having fun though, and all that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Brilliant weekend! Highlights were the cure, metronomy and the xx. Also enjoyed SBTRKT, bombay BC and Orbital. The weather was defo a bonus.

Saw one scummer getting arrested in the car park. He decided to turn up with about 10 other like minded individuals- not a ticket/wristband between them and hangout drinking in their cars in the middle of the car park fire exit path- this was well into Saturday evening. We were b&bing but left car in the car park with drink and when we stopped off for some beer he was freaking out screaming and really agressive and security had to basically hold him down. Our car was covered in illuminious body paint that they were throwing around and there bottles and rubbish thrown everywhere. They took him away and asked the rest to clean the area and go home if they didnt have tickets but they couldn't make them as they were all pissed and way over the driving limit. Some of the girls were really abusive to security.,Not too sure how to stop it happening though as not everyone coming to the car park will have a ticket on them to be checked as they may need to pick them up at box office.

Apart from that, I saw no trouble and the crowd were very friendly. Probably my favourite EP to date but have to say was glad of a warm bed rather than a tent at the end of every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

lubie76 wrote: »
    Brilliant weekend! Highlights were the cure, metronomy and the xx. Also enjoyed SBTRKT, bombay BC and Orbital. The weather was defo a bonus.

Saw one scummer getting arrested in the car park. He decided to turn up with about 10 other like minded individuals- not a ticket/wristband between them and hangout drinking in their cars in the middle of the car park fire exit path- this was well into Saturday evening. We were b&bing but left car in the car park with drink and when we stopped off for some beer he was freaking out screaming and really agressive and security had to basically hold him down. Our car was covered in illuminious body paint that they were throwing around and there bottles and rubbish thrown everywhere. They took him away and asked the rest to clean the area and go home if they didnt have tickets but they couldn't make them as they were all pissed and way over the driving limit. Some of the girls were really abusive to security.,Not too sure how to stop it happening though as not everyone coming to the car park will have a ticket on them to be checked as they may need to pick them up at box office.

Apart from that, I saw no trouble and the crowd were very friendly. Probably my favourite EP to date but have to say was glad of a warm bed rather than a tent at the end of every day.
    You'll get them everywhere. We went back to our van for drink and a van with about 6 guys in it shot down one of the laneways and pulled up. The whole lot of them jumped out, all tracksuits and socks, and pissed pretty much where they got out. When we passed it again later the van was gone but there was rubbish everywhere, I'm sure they probably even brought some from home.

They've no respect for anyone these people, and so I've no respect for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Great weekend. I found it the easiest one to drive into to and get in passed security checks etc. It's still a long walk from car park to Pink Moon which was a pain but it's all part of the experience and unavoidable. I'm shattered now (who isn't?).

Best of the weekend - Metronomy
    Surprise of the weekend - When Saints Go Machine (Never heard of them before)
    Band that made me dance like a loon - the Cure when they played some classics.

Excellent weekend. Couldn't have asked for better weather, even if it had already got a bit mucky by the Friday.
    cquinn_ wrote: »
    what were the killers like?

They were very good. They played all the hits, 2 new tracks alongside the new single and didn't venture too much into album 3 which had sorta put me off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Got up at 8 yesterday morning and done my usual “let’s get the fcuk out of here as fast as we can” act.
    I hadn’t had a drink in over 10 hours and was as usual absolutely petrified of being breathalysed.
    Just get out of the car park at about 9 and a Garda appears out of nowhere. Waves us over. I thought my heart was going come through my chest it was pounding so hard.
    He asks my mate to roll down the passenger window, nearly in tears at this stage, He then grabs one of them free yoghurts that they were giving out from my roof (I left it up there) hands it back to my mate and says “you don’t want that on the windscreen” and waves us on. The relief.

As for the festival, my sixth year on the bounce and probably the best. Little or no scald bags, unreal atmosphere and vibe from the crowd in the sites, super weather and super music. Stayed in Andy Warhol as usual and have still yet to hear of anyone’s tent get knicked in that site whilst I was there.
    Sigur Ros and Explosions were my two highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭fits

All the reports are so positive this year. That one above from the guy with the free ticket is literally the only complaining I've heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Had a great weekend, slightly blighted by experience with an overly aggressive security guard on the Monday morning - don't know if anyone else encountered him - he was in Jimmy Hendrix.

One Scottish security guard - sound - had come around and asked us to be on our way by 12 - grand. Around 11.50 my mate was just finishing packing up our tent and a group of us were sitting around in a circle when another scottish security guard came over and started screaming and shouting at us that we were supposed to have been off the site by 11 and to get moving, I pointed to my friend, told him he was just packing up our tent and also pointed out the campsite didn't close till 1. He became very aggressive, got up in my face and was basically squaring up to me. I said "I'm trying to tell you we're leaving as soon as our tent is packed up" to which he replied "You're tellin me? Are ya??" and grabbed my shoulder squeezing it very hard - I just laughed him off, wasn't interested in getting into a fight that he wanted and he seemed to give up and move away when he saw I wasn't rising to him.

Next he went over to the group beside us and started doing the same thing, screaming at them, he then went head to head squaring up to one of the lads at the next tent, and then his partner in crime just started pulling their tent apart even though they had things left in it. I watched him move around the campsite shouting at people and ripping tents down.

I've taken down his security number because I don't think he should be allowed to work at a festival again, a bully on a power trip, Don't know who to contact though because their obviously all from some British security company - have about 10 witnesses to the events, should I contact EP directly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes definitely contact them directly I would say. those guys shouldnt be working as security. There's always one or two of them though.

Anyone remember the fecking lady from hell who was screaming at everyone to get up at 8 am on monday morning at body and soul last year? Not what you want to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The Pink Moon staff slashed all the tents instead of dismantling. I thought it was mad.

It also meant for the price paid you could take away the tent if you wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Great weekend altogether!.. My first EP and absolutely loved it!

Highlights: The Killers - Absolutely amazing!
    Elbow - Really impressed
    Bell X1 - Pleasantly surprised
    Kodeline - never heard them before bt were really good.
    The comedy tent was brilliant - loved just being able to go chillout there for a few hours! Bandoman and Bernard O Shea were deadly

Selection of food was also great! Bit of thai food at a festival kept me very happy.

Lowlights: The damn Toilets! Oh God - espec in Wilde Campsite. Never again!..
    The cure - dont think they really got the crowd going at all!

Really got a great weekend for it, weather wise - nothing worse then rain!
    So very happy ME right bout now (apart from the fact my entire body aches ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Offside wrote: »
    Had a great weekend, slightly blighted by experience with an overly aggressive security guard on the Monday morning - don't know if anyone else encountered him - he was in Jimmy Hendrix.

One Scottish security guard - sound - had come around and asked us to be on our way by 12 - grand. Around 11.50 my mate was just finishing packing up our tent and a group of us were sitting around in a circle when another scottish security guard came over and started screaming and shouting at us that we were supposed to have been off the site by 11 and to get moving, I pointed to my friend, told him he was just packing up our tent and also pointed out the campsite didn't close till 1. He became very aggressive, got up in my face and was basically squaring up to me. I said "I'm trying to tell you we're leaving as soon as our tent is packed up" to which he replied "You're tellin me? Are ya??" and grabbed my shoulder squeezing it very hard - I just laughed him off, wasn't interested in getting into a fight that he wanted and he seemed to give up and move away when he saw I wasn't rising to him.

Next he went over to the group beside us and started doing the same thing, screaming at them, he then went head to head squaring up to one of the lads at the next tent, and then his partner in crime just started pulling their tent apart even though they had things left in it. I watched him move around the campsite shouting at people and ripping tents down.

I've taken down his security number because I don't think he should be allowed to work at a festival again, a bully on a power trip, Don't know who to contact though because their obviously all from some British security company - have about 10 witnesses to the events, should I contact EP directly?

Was he bald and wearing a red tshirt by any chance?

Think I may have seen him going around.

On a side-note, what's with the majority of the security staff being Scottish? Is it just cheaper to hire from that particular company or something?

Or are the organisers worried that Irish staff may know/be friends with punters and so be more willing to turn a blind eye to things?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jazzzzy

Mirrorball by Elbow was without a doubt one of the most poignant moments of the weekend for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ecoeco

Stayed in Andy Warhol as usual and have still yet to hear of anyone’s tent get knicked in that site whilst I was there.

First time at EP and we stayed in the same site, no trouble at all.
    Is it because most hardcore festival fans get there early Friday and end up in the nearest campsite, to their cars?

Whereas the more scobey chaps rock up late and end up closer to the main arena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Sitting in work now with the post EP blues and just want to go back!

An absoulte epic weekend but went way to fast I think due to such good weather and the crowd.

Camped in Warhol, no problems at all for the weekend. Went down to the showers on Saturday evening, no queue and felt like a new man after them! Toilets were what you would expect so can't complain.

Saw some great acts over the weekend but highlight was definitely hot chip on sunday night, the place was hopping!

Take me back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 klaramcdonnell

It was my first ep and third festival ever, having gone to KnockanStockan twice.

I thought the layout was a mess. There needed to be more maps around the site. I got lost so many times and any time I stopped staff, most didn't have maps on them and hadn't a clue where anything was. I was sent in the wrong direction so many times.

I left on Saturday night and asked so many people for the way out to the gate where the coach was. I was told by different staff to go to the wrong gate, ended up outside, very far away from what I know now should have been gate 3 and was directed to walk to the village to get a coach! I walked with all my bags for ages to be told there by local people the coaches didnt stop in the village.. I walked back again to the festival site, once again asked so many staff, no one could help me find the way to gate 3 until 2 kind security gave me a lift to it. During these hours of me wandering around 2 different groups of people tried to rob my wrist band lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

The Pink Moon staff slashed all the tents instead of dismantling. I thought it was mad.

Wow wish we'd known that, would've taken ours!

Honestly think we would've paid for Pink Moon for the clean toilets alone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Why oh why? Wouldn't the scouts or some charity want them? Surely that gives the "green" festival a fair kicking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

all you people who thought it was gonna me an Oxygen Crowd; well ye could not have been further from the truth!!!!!!!!! Au Contraire!!!!!!!!!!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

Still can't believe Kiss played a suprise set! Had the crowd absolutely hopping when they played I was made for lovin' you!

Thought the layout was a bit confusing alright. They could have done with more signs around the place!

Thought the vodafone phone charging station was a great idea. Saved a fiver and was a very handy location too.

They def could have had more atms. Queued for about 30 mins only to find out the 2 atms were out of service so left the queue and turns out 2 mins later the problem was solved but I'd have had to queue all over again. They should have had an atm or 2 in the campsite.

They could also have had more water stations in the arena and the campsites.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thought the layout was a bit confusing alright. They could have done with more signs around the place!

Thought the vodafone phone charging station was a great idea. Saved a fiver and was a very handy location too.

They def could have had more atms. Queued for about 30 mins only to find out the 2 atms were out of service so left the queue and turns out 2 mins later the problem was solved but I'd have had to queue all over again. They should have had an atm or 2 in the campsite.

They could also have had more water stations in the arena and the campsites.

ATM's are about 3k to rent, not including what it costs to secure them etc.

ATM's are about 3k to rent, not including what it costs to secure them etc.

Didn't realise they were so expensive!

Maybe they could just hire the same number of atms and put 1 in the campsite and 3 in the arena (instead of the 4 they had there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Wow thank you Electric Picnic for an amazing weekend.

I've been to loadsa festivals, Coachella, Benicassim, Pukkelpop, Primavera, but for me this was the best setup I've seen. Such a cool setting, so many things to do and see. Loved it.

Musical highlights were The Cure, The XX, Hot Chip, Christy Moore, Bell X1 and Ham Sandwich!

Some slight annoyances were the 1 day tickets on Sunday. Place was jammers and noticed a larger amount of scobes when the Killers were on.

Also, I know there is alot for kids to do and see during the day, but the amount of BABIES and kids under 3 at the Cure late saturday night completely out of it, laying on the ground, asleep in strollers, was kind of sickening. No ear protectors either. Horrible example of parenting. If they are gonna allow young kids, there should be a curfew, and an insistence they wear ear protectors. I wouldn't bring a kid there in a million years.

I'll defo go again, such a great festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Lost pair of black thin-framed Prescription Glasses. Last seen in Jimi Hendrix Campsite on Monday Morning 03/12/2012 in a black glasses case. Please PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

Can't find any other videos on youtube. Did anyone manage to get a video of God gave rock and roll to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The effing Bacardi Tent could be heard everywhere for the whole weekend!!

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    The effing Bacardi Tent could be heard everywhere for the whole weekend!!

Agreed. It got v annoying when I was seeing acts playing quietish sets nearby!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement