Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I noticed it for Sigur Ros and Elbow. Everytime Elbow brought down the songs or in between, all you could hear was that b*starding bass drum from the Bacardi Tent. You could hear it from the Electric Arena, Cosby tent etc, as well. It was a pain in the nads..........But I am not into DJs at all, so that's why it annoyed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Eod100 wrote: »
    Agreed. It got v annoying when I was seeing acts playing quietish sets nearby!

That is my one gripe for the whole weekend! The Staves were doing a gorgeous A cappella song in close three part harmony in the Cosby tent on Sunday afternoon, and the moment was utterly ruined by nonsense blaring from the bacardi rig.

Similarly, I think the main stage in Body and Soul was the wrong choice for Paul Buchanan. I know others found his set magical, but I had to write it off as I couldn't block out the surrounding noise.

It was our first picnic, and I absolutely loved every minute of it. We packed in so much. Festivals have come a long way since Féile (showing my age now) and I loved the variety on offer. The weather also helped a lot, it must be said.

Scumbag count was low in comparison to Oxegen (which I have attended as a day-tripper only) but it had its moments! I loved watching the blue Electric Ireland guys totally shame a guy attempting to pee right in front of the entire crowd watching the Trinity Orchestra on Saturday.

Musical highlights were: Alabama Shakes, Villagers, David Kitt, Orbital, The Staves, Bombay Bicycle Club, and Elbow (despite Guy Garvey's heavy handed crowd leading).

Surprise musical highlight: Kodaline. Dublin band. Never heard of them and thought they did a fantastic set! They have an EP coming out soon.

Spoken Word highlights: Aengus Óg McAnnally's one man show Fight Night, and Lords of Strut. (Dad, dad, dad, dad....if you were there, you will know what I mean!).

Random highlights: The look of sheer joy on our son's face for most of the weekend, and the near ecstasy he experienced singing along with his favourite band Elbow. He had a lot of fun with picnicers, especially the grown man who challenged him to a 100m race in Mindfield on Sunday!

To the twenty or so separate people who offered me everything from €20 to three cans of bulmers, to 'some sweet lovin' in exchange for a glowing blue light saber I ended up carrying for my son.....you all made me laugh. A lot!

On the kids issue: I don't want to be too judgemental, but there were definitely kids of a certain age being dragged around late at night having zero fun! Our son is eight, and he hit a wall at 10pm both nights. He really wanted to see Christy, but not only was he too tired, it was actually one of the rowdiest gigs of the weekend, so we headed home. Husband got to see Sigur Ros that night, I got to see Orbital the next. That's the way if goes when you bring kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thought the layout was a bit confusing alright. They could have done with more signs around the place!

Thought the vodafone phone charging station was a great idea. Saved a fiver and was a very handy location too.

They def could have had more atms. Queued for about 30 mins only to find out the 2 atms were out of service so left the queue and turns out 2 mins later the problem was solved but I'd have had to queue all over again. They should have had an atm or 2 in the campsite.

They could also have had more water stations in the arena and the campsites.

defo - and more REAL COFFEE stalls..

Was it just me or was Guy Garvey half cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Damn, what night did Kiss play?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Still can't believe Kiss played a suprise set! Had the crowd absolutely hopping when they played I was made for lovin' you!

A Kiss covers band or something I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭First Explorer

This year was my sixth time at the Picnic, so before going I was calling this my last year as I want to try a few smaller festivals around the country. Well i'm home now and had such a good time I wouldn't rule out going again next year. Sunday night everywhere seemed a lot more packed than Friday and Saturday I presume this was down to day tickets and everybody making the extra effort for the last night to get out of the campsite. Overall I thought the line up was decent (not as good as previous years) but was some really good performances. Elbow, Christy Moore, The Vaccines, Ben Howard, The Killers were just some of the gigs i really enjoyed. Who knows i may well be packing my picnic basket again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭killer007

Can't believe it's back to looking at bargain alerts mostly for the next 11 months.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 headlikea

seachto7 wrote: »
    Was it just me or was Guy Garvey half cut?

Ha! Definitely half cut, my friend and I thought so too, he could still hold a tune though and they played a great set.

headlikea wrote: »
    Ha! Definitely half cut, my friend and I thought so too, he could still hold a tune though and they played a great set.

Now that you say it...that would explain a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

sadie06 wrote: »
    That is my one gripe for the whole weekend! The Staves were doing a gorgeous A cappella song in close three part harmony in the Cosby tent on Sunday afternoon, and the moment was utterly ruined by nonsense blaring from the bacardi rig.

Similarly, I think the main stage in Body and Soul was the wrong choice for Paul Buchanan. I know others found his set magical, but I had to write it off as I couldn't block out the surrounding noise.

It was our first picnic, and I absolutely loved every minute of it. We packed in so much. Festivals have come a long way since Féile (showing my age now) and I loved the variety on offer. The weather also helped a lot, it must be said.

Scumbag count was low in comparison to Oxegen (which I have attended as a day-tripper only) but it had its moments! I loved watching the blue Electric Ireland guys totally shame a guy attempting to pee right in front of the entire crowd watching the Trinity Orchestra on Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33GRfrbkFbY

Musical highlights were: Alabama Shakes, Villagers, David Kitt, Orbital, The Staves, Bombay Bicycle Club, and Elbow (despite Guy Garvey's heavy handed crowd leading).

Surprise musical highlight: Kodaline. Dublin band. Never heard of them and thought they did a fantastic set! They have an EP coming out soon.

Spoken Word highlights: Aengus Óg McAnnally's one man show Fight Night, and Lords of Strut. (Dad, dad, dad, dad....if you were there, you will know what I mean!).

Random highlights: The look of sheer joy on our son's face for most of the weekend, and the near ecstasy he experienced singing along with his favourite band Elbow. He had a lot of fun with picnicers, especially the grown man who challenged him to a 100m race in Mindfield on Sunday!

To the twenty or so separate people who offered me everything from €20 to three cans of bulmers, to 'some sweet lovin' in exchange for a glowing blue light saber I ended up carrying for my son.....you all made me laugh. A lot!

On the kids issue: I don't want to be too judgemental, but there were definitely kids of a certain age being dragged around late at night having zero fun! Our son is eight, and he hit a wall at 10pm both nights. He really wanted to see Christy, but not only was he too tired, it was actually one of the rowdiest gigs of the weekend, so we headed home. Husband got to see Sigur Ros that night, I got to see Orbital the next. That's the way if goes when you bring kids.

Balls to that. EP used to be about people dancing up a storm from the afternoon onwards. Not people hushing you over pissy accapella acts and singer songwriters. Spoken word highlights ffs. Get some bangers into you and live a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Balls to that. EP used to be about people dancing up a storm from the afternoon onwards. Not people hushing you over pissy accapella acts and singer songwriters. Spoken word highlights ffs. Get some bangers into you and live a little.

:D

Not everyone needs drugs or rubbish dance tunes to have a good time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

Can't find any other videos on youtube. Did anyone manage to get a video of God gave rock and roll to you?

when did kiss play? and where?? devo i missed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

seachto7 wrote: »
    Not everyone needs drugs or rubbish dance tunes to have a good time....

easy on the dance music! Some of it is great, drugs or not. Orbital were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

For those of you who were wondering what the tshirt both Glen Hansard and Christy Moore were holding up at their gigs it was a "Farming not Fracking" tshirt. I attach a pic below of Glen Hansard behind stage with the shirt. John Colleary of the Savage Eye donned a "Love Football Hate Fracking" tshirt also to support the campaign. Many thanks to all the artists above and others again who supported the cause at the Picnic.
    Heres more info on the issue and petition if you have concerns as well. http://frackingfreeireland.org/
    And of course if ye wanna get a hold of the tshirts just drop us a line.:)

Jaysus...don't hold back! I have blisters on my blisters from all the dancing up a storm I did at Orbital and to various acts and DJs in Body and Soul. I'm complaining about the placement of the bacardi bar between two tents that were hosting actual artists! I never 'hushed' anyone.

Perhaps EP used to be about what you just described, but it's about a lot more than that now. Look up The Staves (I recommend Mexico) before you dismiss them GTG. Maybe it's you who needs to live a little!

P.S I just noticed your youtube clip. I was not talking about a bacardi tent, with people actually dancing. The one between the Cosby and Crawdaddy tents appeared to be just a bar, nowhere to dance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

For those of you who were wondering what the tshirt both Glen Hansard and Christy Moore were holding up at their gigs it was a "Farming not Fracking" tshirt. I attach a pic below of Glen Hansard behind stage with the shirt. John Colleary of the Savage Eye donned a "Love Football Hate Fracking" tshirt also to support the campaign. Many thanks to all the artists above and others again who supported the cause at the Picnic.
    Heres more info on the issue and petition if you have concerns as well. http://frackingfreeireland.org/
    And of course if ye wanna get a hold of the tshirts just drop us a line.:)

The lads would be best sticking to the music and leave the politics to another time. One Bono is enough for this country.

No more than the Amnesty International head wrecks trying to get people to sign petitions on Saturday. Getting asked 5 times over a two hour period was enough. People are there to enjoy music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Can't find any other videos on youtube. Did anyone manage to get a video of God gave rock and roll to you?

Don't think that's EP since there's a big screen behind them. Didn't see any screens at any EP stage.

Motorist wrote: »
    The lads would be best sticking to the music and leave the politics to another time. One Bono is enough for this country.

No more than the Amnesty International head wrecks trying to get people to sign petitions on Saturday. Getting asked 5 times over a two hour period was enough. People are there to enjoy music.

The three guys feel very strongly about the issue (glen is already part of the group Artists Against Fracking) and were happy to help out in whatever way they could. Its not about politics. It was about demonstrating their concerns for the threat to our environment, public health, native industries and communities that fracking poses. If artists/musicians/bands were just to stick to the music and not deal with such issues then there are a lot of good songs and bands that may not have even existed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The lads would be best sticking to the music and leave the politics to another time.

Do you not think that Christy Moore's songs are in any way political?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Muir wrote: »
    Don't think that's EP since there's a big screen behind them. Didn't see any screens at any EP stage.

In fairness that isn't the only hint that this is a very unelaborate prank which I'm secretly hoping that the people who are asking about it are in on in an effort to play out someones bizarre joke.

The three guys feel very strongly about the issue (glen is already part of the group Artists Against Fracking) and were happy to help out in whatever way they could. Its not about politics. It was about demonstrating their concerns for the threat to our environment, public health, native industries and communities that fracking poses. If artists/musicians/bands were just to stick to the music and not deal with such issues then there are a lot of good songs and bands that may not have even existed.

Of course the other side of the story is that fracking is perfectly safe, tightly regulated, proven to be safe, papers expressing concerns have been debunked numerous times and natural gas is one of the cleanest energies available.

But let Christy or Glen hold a t-shirt making statements from a stage with no proper debate. To me it smacks of someone full of their own self-importance looking for relevance. And they shouldn't be surprised or complain when they end up alienating some of their fan base. I'll tune into the Week in Politics, Primetime, Matt Cooper, etc if I want to hear political debate. I certainly don't want to hear a crude presentation or comment from the likes of Christy Moore or Glen Hansard at a weekend music festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Does anyone know who the last dj was on Sunday night on stage 2 of Body & Soul ??

A mix of jazz and trance, he was blooming deadly. Would love to know who he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Just in relation to the few people mentioning Pink Moon camping and the private loos etc. We stayed in Festihut this year and while it may seem expensive, believe me it's well worth it. 4 people to a cabin, so that's €175 each. The cabins are set-up in a private area within the boutique camping grounds, lockable door, cabin with 2 windows and electricity (the cabin came with one light which was so handy at night) and best of all, completely private toilets (like your loo at home) with hot running water :) The thing I hate about camping (although I do camp regularly) is waking up the minute it gets bright in the morning and it being impossible to get back asleep so the cabin was lovely because it was dark in the morning.

So for anyone planning on going next year, I'd highly recommend it. The fella handling everything there, Thomas, was sound as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭fits

€175 is fairly expensive all the same. I suppose its handier than a hotel. Not sure I could go back to camping again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

We stayed in Festihut

I stayed in the Podpads and was wondering why the Festihuts were sectioned off from the rest of the boutique area.

We had a great little community up there, defo would not camp again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

fits wrote: »
    €175 is fairly expensive all the same. I suppose its handier than a hotel. Not sure I could go back to camping again.

For us it was definitely worth it for the security and comfort.
    benwavner wrote: »
    I stayed in the Podpads and was wondering why the Festihuts were sectioned off from the rest of the boutique area.

We had a great little community up there, defo would not camp again.

Yeah our neighbours were spot on too. It was very relaxed in the boutique camping section. Met a few sound heads around the place.

Just in relation to the few people mentioning Pink Moon camping and the private loos etc. We stayed in Festihut this year and while it may seem expensive, believe me it's well worth it. 4 people to a cabin, so that's €175 each. The cabins are set-up in a private area within the boutique camping grounds, lockable door, cabin with 2 windows and electricity (the cabin came with one light which was so handy at night) and best of all, completely private toilets (like your loo at home) with hot running water :) The thing I hate about camping (although I do camp regularly) is waking up the minute it gets bright in the morning and it being impossible to get back asleep so the cabin was lovely because it was dark in the morning.

So for anyone planning on going next year, I'd highly recommend it. The fella handling everything there, Thomas, was sound as well.

Could you still hear the constant deep bass and beat from the forest though?

• Advertisement

Of course the other side of the story is that fracking is perfectly safe, tightly regulated, proven to be safe, papers expressing concerns have been debunked numerous times and natural gas is one of the cleanest energies available.

But let Christy or Glen hold a t-shirt making statements from a stage with no proper debate. To me it smacks of someone full of their own self-importance looking for relevance. And they shouldn't be surprised or complain when they end up alienating some of their fan base. I'll tune into the Week in Politics, Primetime, Matt Cooper, etc if I want to hear political debate. I certainly don't want to hear a crude presentation or comment from the likes of Christy Moore or Glen Hansard at a weekend music festival.

Christy and Glen have looked at the issue and have decided what side of the debate they are on, thats their perogative. They made a symbolic gesture to express their feelings. If you dont agree with their position or how they express it thats your perogative and judging by the response both got on the night I think their fan base is pretty safe. To describe Christy Moore or Glen Hansard as been self-important for voicing their support for communities who are up against corporations and business interests with expensive pr machines is laughable. You couldnt meet two more down to earth guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement