Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Christy and Glen have looked at the issue and have decided what side of the debate they are on, thats their perogative. They made a symbolic gesture to express their feelings. If you dont agree with their position or how they express it thats your perogative and judging by the response both got on the night I think their fan base is pretty safe. To describe Christy Moore or Glen Hansard as been self-important for voicing their support for communities who are up against corporations and business interests with expensive pr machines is laughable. You couldnt meet two more down to earth guys.

To be honest, in a packed tent in the dark, it wasn't clear what the t-shirt was. I just saw him holding a yellow t-shirt ad couldn't make out what it was. I was cheering along with everyone else. I'm a little sickened, and think he should stick to the music just as Ray D'Arcy should stick to trivial radio presenting. My head has been fried enough with shell to sea crusties over the past 6 years without them having a new "cause" to latch onto. Im not gonna enter into a debate on fracking on a gigs forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Anyone hear the date for next year yet????.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Motorist wrote: »
    To be honest, in a packed tent in the dark, it wasn't clear what the t-shirt was. I just saw him holding a yellow t-shirt ad couldn't make out what it was. I was cheering along with everyone else. I'm a little sickened, and think he should stick to the music just as Ray D'Arcy should stick to trivial radio presenting. My head has been fried enough with shell to sea crusties over the past 6 years without them having a new "cause" to latch onto. Im not gonna enter into a debate on fracking on a gigs forum.

No not debating fracking either. Its obvious where you stand on it anyway with your reference to "shell to sea crusties". For your information those involved in the campaign against fracking come from all walks of life. In our local group we have teachers, community workers, farmers, barrister, students, vet, unemployed etc. While Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon, and Donegal County Councils have all called for Bans/Moratoriums on Fracking, hardly "Shell to sea crusties". Again thank you to Glen, Chisty, and John for their solidarity. We dont have expensive pr compamies to promote our cause. Its up to people then to look into the issue for themselves and make up their minds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

No not debating fracking either. Its obvious where you stand on it anyway with your reference to "shell to sea crusties". For your information those involved in the campaign against fracking come from all walks of life. In our local group we have teachers, community workers, farmers, barrister, students, vet, unemployed etc. While Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon, and Donegal County Councils have all called for Bans/Moratoriums on Fracking, hardly "Shell to sea crusties". Again thank you to Glen, Chisty, and John for their solidarity. We dont have expensive pr compamies to promote our cause. Its up to people then to look into the issue for themselves and make up their minds.

And I would be of the same opinion and lose respect for a musician if they started coming out with opinions I agreed with also.

Personally, I will be avoiding their music and performances from now on as I find it nauseating to have political opinion rammed down ones throat from a stage with no proper debate. I've heard enough of Bob Geldof and Bono to last a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Great weekend. Partied pretty hard but feeling great after the Picnic. We camped at Oscar Wilde and had no hassle at all. It was pretty laid back at the campsite (near to the Salty Dog). Last year I was in Hendrix and it was pretty intense there and had our drink robbed on the last day so decided to try this campsite this time. Loads of space and really handy for both the Rave in the Woods and obviously the Salty Dog. I made a deliberate effort not to use the metal drops as they were pretty grim last year :(

I thought the security were great this year. Much more relaxed (although we were always coming in via Entrance 2. Not too sure what Entrance 1 was like but it seemed to have more people traffic coming through it.

Set up tent at about lunchtime on Friday. Picked a good spot which was handy to find each night. Then off to see kormacs big band. Great way to start the weekend. It was really one of the highlights. I would love to see them on at a later time in a tent. I noticed that the sound on the main stage was much improved this year. Back to tent to get more drinks and then went to Grizzly Bear and Metronomy. I didn't go mad for Grizzly Bear but I didn't really know many of their tunes. I also though the balance was a bit off in the Electric Arena for them. However Metronomy were great. After this things get a bit hazy. I might have seen a bit of the XX but I really cant remember. Tried to catch Ritchie Hawtin but they had it closed off. A real shame he wasn't in the Electric Arena where everyone could have squeezed in. Caught the end though. I also wanted to see Christy Moore but missed him too.....I saw most of Sigur Ros which, despite the sound difficulties at the start, was quite relaxing to listen to. Caught The Riptide Movement who were great on the Trailer Park Stage. Nice big sound and some good rocking tunes. It was a bit weird that Trailer Park was out on its own though. Bit of a cul de sac. Then a bit of wandering before catching the end of Rave in Woods. Only caught about 20 mins of this before it ended

Saturday started off with Trinity Orchestra. A great start to the day, with them playing Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon. Very good singers this year too. I stayed on the grass for Bellowhead who I really enjoyed. Some great traditional dance tunes. After them it was a power nap back in the tent followed by some drinking and then back out to Crystal Castles on the main stage. I was hoping to get to the front of the stage for this but got there late. It was a great gig, shame they left early but it still got my in the mood for the rest of the night. Random wandering for the next few hours meeting up with people I haven't seen for a while and then caught the first half hour of the Cure. Pretty good, but was happy enough with the half hour. Over the Caribou v's Fourtet. Pretty pumping tunes. Hard hitting. Stayed for half of that. Back to the tent for more drink......missed a few acts I wanted to see, like Orbital and Ham Sandwhich but got to the front for Le Galaxie. Great set. I've seen these guys a few times before and they really know how to put on a show. I left before the end so I could make most of the Rave in the Woods this time. I was in the perfect mood for this and it was pretty incredible. Lots of dancing and fist pumping. What more could you want??! More drunken wanderings around all the campsites and to a few friends and tent and made it back for mine for about 6.45.

It was pretty rough getting up the next day but managed to catch The Riptide Movement again in the Electric Arena. I was amazed by the size of the crowd there at time of the day. By the end there must have been over 1000 people at it. Much better sound in the tent than their previous gig on the Friday....actually I spotted today that 2fm recorded their gig and its on their facebook page. Great atmosphere at the gig. After that it was over to the Main Stage for both the Dublin Gospel choir and Lee Scratch Perry. just what you need on the Sunday after two days partying. Sat on the grass with a few cold beers to replenish the energy levels. Then had to walk for ages to get a wristband to a friend who was out at carpark Z. Bit of a trek in and out. She hadn't been at EP before so showed her all the various spots (ha I also told her to try out the drops in the campsite just to see her reaction.....priceless....not going to lie, it made my Sunday :pac:). Then it was Pat Mahoney follwed by Elbow and The Killers. Sunday was a tame affair for me but I still enjoyed it.

Overall the weekend was great. Sunshine, great atmosphere and lots of partying...what more could you want. I always feel when I get back that I have missed out by not seeing some of the bands, but sure you cant see everything! Great weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You couldnt meet two more down to earth guys.
    Glen Hansard, down to earth? ROFL...Do you do stand-up as well?
    Glen Hansard as been self-important

Got that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Just in relation to the few people mentioning Pink Moon camping and the private loos etc. We stayed in Festihut this year and while it may seem expensive, believe me it's well worth it. 4 people to a cabin, so that's €175 each. The cabins are set-up in a private area within the boutique camping grounds, lockable door, cabin with 2 windows and electricity (the cabin came with one light which was so handy at night) and best of all, completely private toilets (like your loo at home) with hot running water :) The thing I hate about camping (although I do camp regularly) is waking up the minute it gets bright in the morning and it being impossible to get back asleep so the cabin was lovely because it was dark in the morning.

So for anyone planning on going next year, I'd highly recommend it. The fella handling everything there, Thomas, was sound as well.

175+230 = one expensive weekend when you add in drink and food

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

great weekend were local enough so we go home every night cant beat been in wellies all day and sleeping in your own bed after a nice hot shower

Sunday was too crowded tho lots of people aimlessly walking around until the killers started but when you have a massive act with day tickets that was always going to happen(btw nothing against the killers quite like them and if they had been on saturday i would have watched them just not interested in seeing them in that big a crowd)

brought the little lad up on the sunday to see of monsters and men tent was jammed but he loved them have to say i did too very energetic

managed to see ed sheeran, maccabbes, alabama shakes, vaccines, the xx, dexys, david kitt, something happens, villagers, the cure, of monsters and men, bat for lashes, ben howard, cathey davey, bit of james murphy, glen hansard, Crystal Castles

highlights were Maccabees, bat for lashes, crystal castles, dexys, ed sheeran, David Kitt, Ben Howard and just seeing my little lad dancing and signing to of monsters and men

the cure were class but 3 hours is too long for a festival, amazing if you have paid exclusively to see them but i just though 2 hours would have been enough

oh and did anyone have an ostrich burger delish

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bugsy1977

i had the best weekend ever,ive been to lots of festivals including EP but last wkend surpassed them all,me and the missus had an epic time, bat for lashes blew my mind, orbital were class,could have played longer tho,i think the cure ate into soe of their time slot which is a bumer cause 3 hrs of the cure is enough for any man!! what a weekend tho,it renewed my faith in mankind,ppl can get 2gether and have a great time without any hassle. still buzzing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

great weekend were local enough so we go home every night cant beat been in wellies all day and sleeping in your own bed after a nice hot shower

Sunday was too crowded tho lots of people aimlessly walking around until the killers started but when you have a massive act with day tickets that was always going to happen(btw nothing against the killers quite like them and if they had been on saturday i would have watched them just not interested in seeing them in that big a crowd)

brought the little lad up on the sunday to see of monsters and men tent was jammed but he loved them have to say i did too very energetic

managed to see ed sheeran, maccabbes, alabama shakes, vaccines, the xx, dexys, david kitt, something happens, villagers, the cure, of monsters and men, bat for lashes, ben howard, cathey davey, bit of james murphy, glen hansard, Crystal Castles

highlights were Maccabees, bat for lashes, crystal castles, dexys, ed sheeran, David Kitt, Ben Howard and just seeing my little lad dancing and signing to of monsters and men

the cure were class but 3 hours is too long for a festival, amazing if you have paid exclusively to see them but i just though 2 hours would have been enough

oh and did anyone have an ostrich burger delish

Had one last year with onions fried in Jack Danials sauce, beautiful :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Motorist wrote: »
    Could you still hear the constant deep bass and beat from the forest though?

Very slightly but I'd say there was very few places in the whole place where you couldn't hear anything.
    threein99 wrote: »
    175+230 = one expensive weekend when you add in drink and food

*shrugs* suited us fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Slattsy wrote: »
    Does anyone know who the last dj was on Sunday night on stage 2 of Body & Soul ??

A mix of jazz and trance, he was blooming deadly. Would love to know who he was.

I believe that was Mmoths, bloody amazing so it was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

'Twas indeed. Didn't make it to the closing set but saw him in the Little Big Tent earlier in the day, big things ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

that was Main stage though was it not?

Slattsy was asking about Stage 2 - maybe its the same thing I dunno

EDIT

PS - yes he was savage! some seriously sick beats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭recyclops

anyone do a workout with mr motivator, in the heat, a little worse for wear at 2 o clock on a saturday it was the best thing i coulda done all weekend, felt great after it.

ya may have spotted me in the silent disco that night whipping out a few of his motivational moves haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

recyclops wrote: »
    anyone do a workout with mr motivator, in the heat, a little worse for wear at 2 o clock on a saturday it was the best thing i coulda done all weekend, felt great after it.

ya may have spotted me in the silent disco that night whipping out a few of his motivational moves haha

No but i did get my photo taken with him, nice guy!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Heineken put together a small video of the weekend! It made me happy and sad, I really want to go back! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

that was Main stage though was it not?

Slattsy was asking about Stage 2 - maybe its the same thing I dunno

EDIT

PS - yes he was savage! some seriously sick beats

Mmoths was main stage. Need to know who was on the second.. no one seems to know :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Slattsy wrote: »
    Mmoths was main stage. Need to know who was on the second.. no one seems to know :-(

Which one's the second stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Eod100 wrote: »
    Which one's the second stage?
    Electric arena?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

according to this it was "Zemi17"
    http://clashfinder.com/s/electricpicnic2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

according to this it was "Zemi17"
    http://clashfinder.com/s/electricpicnic2012/

Yes !!!! Thats exactly who it is. Cheers mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Had an amazing Picnic. No hassle. All good.

Caught this band in the Bog Cottage on Sunday night......

Anyone have any idea who they are? They were fcuking amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

recyclops wrote: »

mr motivator was class - not for a work out but for just a good buzz… people we having so much fun there..

I went for the free string rug sack which I used to bring in my beer after 11pm!!! Twas a biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

anyone know anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Poor lad, hope he recovers okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

sporina wrote: »
    anyone know anything about this?

Think i saw that guy being taken away on one of those medical golf cart things. He didnt look well at all. Think i saw him around 3 or 4pm on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bazwin

I know it's a longshot :rolleyes: but does anyone know who the DJ was playing the class tunes in the Body and Soul from around half 1 or 2 o clock in the morning on Sunday......till 3 maybe :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bazwin

Wrong stage:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement