Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

honru wrote: »
    Are they too heavy for EP is the question.

very possible. watched ASIWYFA in the tent last year however. but they're a different kind of heavy I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

very possible. watched ASIWYFA in the tent last year however. but they're a different kind of heavy I guess

Yeah, I saw them too. That's actually one band I was thinking of when I made the previous comment. But yeah, I'm thinking they're a different kind of heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Now this list is of bands that I reckon will play (what with their tour schedule and stuff). However, certain bands I know will not play because a band of their equal stature will be playing instead. All on the list. I usually guess these right every year.

Here we go:
    • The Cure
    • Radiohead
    • Bon Iver
    • The XX
    • Friendly Fires
    • At The Drive In
    • Grove Armada
    • Orbital
    • Two Door Cinema Club
    • 2many DJ's
    • Emeli Sandé
    • De La Soul
    • Soulwax
    • Justice
    • Sigur Ros
    • War On Drugs
    • St. Vincent
    • Bjork
    • Anna Calvi
    • At The Drive In
    • Marketa Irglova (Perhaps with Glen Hansard - Doubt it though)
    • The Vaccines
    • Annie Mac
    • Japanese Popstars (3pm on Sunday in 2011 was far too early in the day to "Let it go"
    • Brenden Benson of The Raconteurs
    • Newton Faulkner
    • Jape
    • Factory Floor (I'm aware they're playing Forbidden Fruit)
    • Katatonia (In the same slot as Shannon Corr or Sinead O'Connor last year)
    • Feist
    • Gallows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

Now this list is of bands that I reckon will play (what with their tour schedule and stuff). However, certain bands I know will not play because a band of their equal stature will be playing instead. All on the list. I usually guess these right every year.

Here we go:
    • The Cure
    • Radiohead
    • Bon Iver
    • The XX
    • Friendly Fires
    • At The Drive In
    • Grove Armada
    • Orbital
    • Two Door Cinema Club
    • 2many DJ's
    • Emeli Sandé
    • De La Soul
    • Soulwax
    • Justice
    • Sigur Ros
    • War On Drugs
    • St. Vincent
    • Bjork
    • Anna Calvi
    • At The Drive In
    • The Vaccines
    • Annie Mac
    • Japanese Popstars (3pm on Sunday in 2011 was far too early in the day to "Let it go"
    • Newton Faulkner
    • Jape
    • Feist
    • Gallows

if you are right, it will be one hell of a picnic for me,.

sporina wrote: »
    if you are right, it will be one hell of a picnic for me,.

Think about it though - Look at all the tours and festivals around August/September; It all looks very likely.

It's looking more like Bon Iver over Radiohead - But I hope that is not the case. I love Bon Iver, but I mean c'mon, RADIOHEAD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Here we go:
    • The Cure
    • Radiohead
    • Bon Iver
    • The XX
    • Friendly Fires
    • At The Drive In
    • Grove Armada
    • Orbital
    • Two Door Cinema Club
    • 2many DJ's
    • Emeli Sandé
    • De La Soul
    • Soulwax
    • Justice
    • Sigur Ros
    • War On Drugs
    • St. Vincent
    • Bjork
    • Anna Calvi
    • At The Drive In
    • The Vaccines
    • Annie Mac
    • Newton Faulkner
    • Jape
    • Feist
    • Gallows

Jesus if that was the line up it would be one of the best in Europe. Hope your right:)

Jesus if that was the line up it would be one of the best in Europe. Hope your right:)
    Bear in mind - It's a kinda Either/Or potential line-up!

Bear in mind - It's a kinda Either/Or potential line-up!

i think i am on the side of potential, either way you defo won't be that far out with a lot of them

i think i am on the side of potential, either way you defo won't be that far out with a lot of them

I mean it will be an Either/Or with the acts as in:
    Bon Iver AND The Cure OR Radiohead AND The Cure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

[*]Katatonia (In the same slot as Shannon Corr or Sinead O'Connor last year)
    the Swedish hard rock band? :confused:

do you mean Catatonia?

• Advertisement

the Swedish hard rock band? :confused:

do you mean Catatonia?

Yes actually :L I really hope/doubt she will play - I don't know why I put her on the list - She is touring, but EP wouldn't get her. Why the hell did I put that down..

I mean it will be an Either/Or with the acts as in:
    Bon Iver AND The Cure OR Radiohead AND The Cure

ah right get you now the cure and Bon iver for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Ugh.Im.Clashing

"Electric Picnic bill to be revealed next Thursday. Several other big outdoor gig announcements coming soon..."

https://twitter.com/#!/stuartclark66/status/173083689130000384

:D

what is the likely hood of florence and the machine playing EP this year? I am not a massive fan at all but I would like to see her once. I got tickets for the Phoenix park there but I would sell if she plays EP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Sissorhands, you could take everyone off after the first 3 acts in your list and I'd be as happy as can be. Radiohead would make my year, but I seriously doubt it.

"Electric Picnic bill to be revealed next Thursday. Several other big outdoor gig announcements coming soon..."

https://twitter.com/#!/stuartclark66/status/173083689130000384

:D

You don't know how long I've been waiting for the announcement. I reckon the other big outdoor gig announcements will be Body and Soul, Forbidden Fruit, Slane (no Slane this year folks), Phoneix Park Oxegen or whatever you want to call it.
    what is the likely hood of florence and the machine playing EP this year? I am not a massive fan at all but I would like to see her once. I got tickets for the Phoenix park there but I would sell if she plays EP.

Face it. She isn't playing. I would absolutely love her to play it, but she won't Nor will The Black Keys :( Besides I think MCD have some sort of legal "dibs" on her..
    maximoose wrote: »
    Sissorhands, you could take everyone off after the first 3 acts in your list and I'd be as happy as can be. Radiohead would make my year, but I seriously doubt it.

It's unlikely seeing as Bon Iver's tour continues right up to the week before EP - yet Radiohead have festival tours. Radiohead > Bon Iver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I think MCD have some sort of legal "dibs" on her..

MCD are involved with the Electric Picnic. Heres a picture of the side of the Electric Arena last year:

mcdatep.jpg

I think you might be right though for the wrong reasons. People are thinking that with the death of Oxegen there will be a move of acts to the EP but in reality the major ones will probably end up in the park.

Toast wrote: »
    MCD are involved with the Electric Picnic.

I think you might be right though for the wrong reasons. People are thinking that with the death of Oxegen there will be a move of acts to the EP but in reality the major ones will probably end up in the park.

Yeah but they're only really involved with the security, drink, and smoking ban. They have been since 2009. The acts are brought by Live Nation/Festival Republic and POD. Last year Chemical Bros, Pulp, Beirut, Vaccines (even though they cancelled) and Arcade Fire were arranged by Live Nation. You can see that with their Hyde Park gigs they had (one of them I was there at!)
    I think anybody who has been to electric picnic would know they wouldn't get a headliner like Coldplay or Deadmau5 because Oxegen isn't on this year. I really and honestly think the people who say that are the ones who haven't been to ep and just went to oxegen the past few years.

Festival Republic is MCD.
    In April 2005, they accepted a takeover bid from Hamsard Ltd, a co-operative company 50.1% owned by Live Nation UK (formerly the entertainment division of Clear Channel UK but now part of Live Nation International) and 49.9% owned by Irish event organiser MCD.

Festival Republic is MCD.

Not exactly. Yes MCD have 50% of the company have shares in Festival Republic, but they don't have nearly the amount of input when it comes to lineup and the arts part of it than you think. Live Nation deal with the big headliners, POD deal with everthing else to do with the festival, MCD deal with the running of the festival (such as security, alcohol distribution etc). I know organisers in POD, I've volunteered at EP, I know how EP is ran.

• Advertisement

I'm not really arguing who does what. Just whether an exclusivity clause would be relevant when it is with a company that is part owner of one of the bookers.

From what I've been told such clauses are usually very short term anyway but it is up to the person who they are signed with to enforce them. As such MCD could release the artist from it easily. I don't think it is a leap to think Live Nation would call up their buddies and ask for that. They'd be in a position to refuse but I can't see it actually happening given their relationship and that it would be in the interest of MCD for the festival to succeed.

Ultimately your right though.. Florence won't play if shes in the park.

I'm not really arguing who does what. Just whether an exclusivity clause would be relevant when it is with a company that is part owner of one of the bookers.

From what I've been told such clauses are usually very short term anyway but it is up to the person who they are signed with to enforce them. As such MCD could release the artist from it easily. I don't think it is a leap to think Live Nation would call up their buddies and ask for that. They'd be in a position to refuse but I can't see it actually happening given their relationship and that it would be in the interest of MCD for the festival to succeed.

Ultimately your right though.. Florence won't play if shes in the park.

I hope you don't come. You don't sound like the party type.

128977964909554637.jpg

I hope you don't come. You don't sound like the party type.

I mostly wander around taking pictures of the sides of the tents for use later in Internet arguments.

is the line up really gonna be announced on Thursday??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

some of it, according to the editor of Hot Press.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

The launch party is on Thursday night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Possibly under pressure with the excellent line-up announced for Forbidden Fruit so interesting to see who will play Stradbally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Splainc wrote: »
    Possibly under pressure with the excellent line-up announced for Forbidden Fruit so interesting to see who will play Stradbally.
    Yes, I'm sure that they're under pressure from the festival that they own themselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

AdMMM wrote: »
    Yes, I'm sure that they're under pressure from the festival that they own themselves...

Didn't know it was same people, in that case even though I'm going to Forbidden Fruit would have preferred to see New Order at EP than Fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

AdMMM wrote: »

Would it not occur to you to just say that they are not under pressure as they own both instead of being a sh*t? :)

Still, I know quite a few (me included) who are going to FF and not EP already. People spending money over two short days which end at 11pm rather than 3/4 24hr days could work against them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement