Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete Newbie to Rugby

Options
  • 10-09-2011 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm probably the last person you'd expect to want to play rugby.(I'm a first year, btw) I haven't played it since primary school, I forget most of the rules, and I'm quite skinny.

Despite this I actually really want to start playing, with the aim to get on a team. How or where do I start? I'd also like to start building muscle. Would I join the gym for that or would I be advised about it if I joined a team?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

UCD have teams down to J4 level. Training for the J4s is Monday and Wednesday nights, changing in the Bowl, so come down and see what you think. There is a J5 league, but UCD don't enter a team so if you wanted to play at that level you would have to play for another team. Come on down and see what you think.

If you want to build muscle, join a gym and lift heavy weights. If you are completely new to gyms get a PT or one of the instructors at the gym to show you the basics. An easy and effective program to start with is Strongman 5x5. Google it to see what it entails. Make sure to eat a lot, healthy, with plenty of protein. Check out the stickies in the Health and Fitness forum for lots of good info on diet and exercise.

Just re-read this and saw that you're a first year so presumably are under 20? If that's the case you would be looking at a u20 team, not senior rugby as I suggested. UCD have u20s A, B, and Cs. You would probably be looking at the Cs if you haven't played before. Go to the stand during freshers week next week to find out about training times for the u20s. Think its Tuesday and Thursdays at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

Im in the same boat as you t9106! Had been thinking about it for a while then saw the stand during freshers week and though why not:p.

Anyway my first training is tomorrow at 7. Can anybody tell me where exactly to go/ where the changing rooms are etc. i dont really have a clue.

EmacB wrote: »
    Im in the same boat as you t9106! Had been thinking about it for a while then saw the stand during freshers week and though why not:p.

Anyway my first training is tomorrow at 7. Can anybody tell me where exactly to go/ where the changing rooms are etc. i dont really have a clue.

Presume you're an u20 player?

Go to the Bowl changing rooms (beside the bowl stadium) about 6.45 and on the board there it will tell you which changing room to go to in there. They'll know which pitch you'll be training on, I'm not sure where the u20s usually train. Make yourself known to the coach and you'll fit right in.

Best of luck and any other questions just ask. Good luck and enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Presume you're an u20 player?

Go to the Bowl changing rooms (beside the bowl stadium) about 6.45 and on the board there it will tell you which changing room to go to in there. They'll know which pitch you'll be training on, I'm not sure where the u20s usually train. Make yourself known to the coach and you'll fit right in.

Best of luck and any other questions just ask. Good luck and enjoy :)

Yep I am and cheers :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Just re-read this and saw that you're a first year so presumably are under 20? If that's the case you would be looking at a u20 team, not senior rugby as I suggested. UCD have u20s A, B, and Cs. You would probably be looking at the Cs if you haven't played before. Go to the stand during freshers week next week to find out about training times for the u20s. Think its Tuesday and Thursdays at 7.

Hmm. I never even considered joining rugby as I assumed that the ucdrc would have little time for someone without much experience... particularly if they weighed nine stone. :D

I would have assumed that it's a little different from sports where there is no tradition of them being practiced in secondary schools - like trampolining, rifle, canoe, fencing, horse-riding etc.

Hmm. I never even considered joining rugby as I assumed that the ucdrc would have little time for someone without much experience... particularly if they weighed nine stone. :D

I would have assumed that it's a little different from sports where there is no tradition of them being practiced in secondary schools - like trampolining, rifle, canoe, fencing, horse-riding etc.

The u20s have a C team which would be an ideal way to get into the sport. I know 30 year olds who have taken it up for the first time, so how long you've been playing really doesn't matter.

If you can pass scrum half could be for you, you'll get lots of protection from the fatties in the pack!

The rugby club always welcomes new members, whether you've experience playing or not.

Try it out and see what you think, nothing ventured nothing gained. Subs for the year won't have to be paid for another couple of weeks so go down tonight/next week and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 clearycooper13

can anyone tell me what the story is with freshers/u20 training.I signed up during freshers week in the sports centre and have heard feck all since.I play at a decent level and cant wait to get on the pitch
    any help guys would be greatly appreciated;)

Just turn up to training. u20s train on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7, changing in the Bowl.

Advertisement