Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freeky things that happened to you

• 10-09-2011 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭

The wind is just picking up here, and it reminded me of one of the first nights I spent alone in the house, my husband was gone out for a pint (not to be disturbed) so it was just me and my 11 month old daughter who was asleep.
    Outside I heard chains rattling on the pavement along with a knocking sound, I ran around the house locking all windows and doors. Following day I found out it was a neighbours dog that is usually chained up getting free.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

cofy wrote: »
    Following day I found out it was a neighbours dog that is usually chained up getting free.

Lucky you missed the zombie who set the dog free or you'd have been really freaked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I thought i was dead once, i remember seeing faces from my past and my family and stuff then i realised that i had been eating Equadorian Magic Mushrooms realised i wasnt dead and went to a rave. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

wouldn't know whether to call it freaky or weird or coincidence or what..

But, when I was 16 I was hit by a car, on the 2 of June, only still alive thank God as I seen the car comin for me an reacted it hit me and lucky only shattered my leg, needed an operation to fix it but I'm still alive.

Exactly 1 year later, my best friend died on the 2nd of june to sudden adult death syndrome he was 16..

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

Balfie wrote: »

But, when I was 16 I was hit by a car, on the 2 of June, only still alive thank God as I seen the car comin for me an reacted it hit me and lucky only shattered my leg, needed an operation to fix it but I'm still alive.

Exactly 1 year later, my best friend died on the 2nd of june to sudden adult death syndrome he was 16..

Sorry to hear that, its something that pops up on the news every now and then but isnt much on my radar. That must have been traumatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Very sad. May i ask what exactly is sudden adult death syndrome? Heart attack?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I hope your ok. Sudden death is hard to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

well i was in letterkenny and this werewolf bit ma head off, tough times tough times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

*bites lip*

but..

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

Very sad. May i ask what exactly is sudden adult death syndrome? Heart attack?

Its your heart stopping suddenly. Apparently it can be detected in some people if the doc knows what he's looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I wake up every morning, seriously freaks me out...

• Advertisement

ShadowGal wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, its something that pops up on the news every now and then but isnt much on my radar. That must have been traumatic

Thanks, yeah it was pretty horrible, I can remember hearing it an thinking someone was playing a joke on me,, this went on for about 2 days of no sleep searching for answers, I was only 17, it was hard to accept, I think it only really hit home at his funeral, seeing my dad cry, an it all hit me then, I broke down an just, I dunno.. It was just not a nice time in my life..

EGAR wrote: »
    I wake up every morning, seriously freaks me out...

opposite for me, the whole idea of sleep is freaky, every day 7~ hours go missing and have to remind myself its the passing of a day...its just weird :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I heard what I thought was a voice in my head that said "break now" I did and the artic beside me nearly turned over at a roundabout.

If I hadn't stopped, perhaps.....who knows.

Thanks, yeah it was pretty horrible, I can remember hearing it an thinking someone was playing a joke on me,, this went on for about 2 days of no sleep searching for answers, I was only 17, it was hard to accept, I think it only really hit home at his funeral, seeing my dad cry, an it all hit me then, I broke down an just, I dunno.. It was just not a nice time in my life..

Remember him for who he was, a good friend. I wish I could be that to someone.

4leto wrote: »
    I heard what I thought was a voice in my head that said "break now" I did and the artic beside me nearly turned over at a roundabout.

that was me shouting out my window beside you, you ungratefull ghost worshiper :mad:

4leto wrote: »

Something like that also happened, I was driving along a twisty road and all of a sudden I heard my driving instructer telling me to slow down. I had finished driving lessons and had passed my test years earlier. Anyway after I had slowed down to a very low speed I came a cross a cyclist having difficulty on the road. Phew!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Aw sorry balfie :( losing someone at that age or losing someone like that must be especially rotten, double whammy there, I'm sorry that happened to you.

To answer the question with something that now seems even more trivial...the night before Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt broke up I had a dream about it. I don't read celebrity gossip mags or anything, I wouldn't have been at all aware of any rumours afaik so it was really weird. But in the same dream someone I knew came out. So this is years ago, they're not someone who's at all camp and I don't know them that well, but it's still on my mind!

*disclaimer, no I don't think I can dream the future, I probably did just overhear it and not realise, still weird though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

I remember few years back in my mams house, I was upstairs walking across the landing only one in the house at the time she was gone the shops i think, anyways pitch dark winters night an that, I got this though im my head that the electricity was going to go (i no yeh sound mad but true) and what happens BANG! the lights went out! no one would believe me lol

After my brother died - he was an electrician, I wanted a sign that he was at peace. The electricity went four times and then cut out. Most unusual, even my husband who is trained as an electrician freeked out.

stevek93 wrote: »
    I was upstairs walking across the landing only one in the house at the time..

where was the other one :confused:

• Advertisement

ShadowGal wrote: »
    Its your heart stopping suddenly. Apparently it can be detected in some people if the doc knows what he's looking for

Yeah, his mam went into him on that morning an woke him an asked what he would like for breakfast, he seemed fine, said what he wanted, an she went back 20 minutes later an found him dead, she called an ambulance, but they could do nothing, he got transported to the hospital, but they could do nothing but declare him dead. I don't even feel like its real sometimes.. The poor woman went and found her only son dead 20 mins after speaking to him, breaks my heart just thinking about it.. This is I think only the second time I have opened up about it too so its just, I dunno..

Sorry to put a down feeling on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Saila wrote: »
    that was me shouting out my window beside you, you ungratefull ghost worshiper :mad:

LOL Thanks

But it could have worked out bad for breaking, the car behind me jammed on (it was on the m50, at night, just coming up to the airport roundabout) but when the truck went up on 2 wheels and tipped over to the other 2 wheels, it stay up, I don't know how.

I think if I would have drove on so would have the car behind me, so maybe that was the accident that was prevented. I don't know.

It was weird, but I could say my subconscious noticed the truck was approaching the roundabout to fast while I was listening to a CD and my subconscious let out the roar in my head. It was a very clear voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

???

I would be interested to know what you think of this (I want you to talk sense to me). After my brother died, I went to his house to sympathise with his wife, very dramatic scenes, anyway as I was sitting there wondering what the hell had just happened, my head turned to a computer and a phone. A few people saw this and were just as freaked as I was. I wonder was it just shock.

Come on do your best - I need sense here.

Yeah, his mam went into him on that morning an woke him an asked what he would like for breakfast, he seemed fine, said what he wanted, an she went back 20 minutes later an found him dead, she called an ambulance, but they could do nothing, he got transported to the hospital, but they could do nothing but declare him dead. I don't even feel like its real sometimes.. The poor woman went and found her only son dead 20 mins after speaking to him, breaks my heart just thinking about it.. This is I think only the second time I have opened up about it too so its just, I dunno..

Sorry to put a down feeling on the thread.

You are not putting a down feeling on the thread, this is where you can just let go of things, but this is the after hours thread and you need to understand that there maybe comments made that you feel unkind.

If you ever want to chat, feel free to pm me. I'm just someone who has lost 2 brothers suddenly and a brother in law. If you feel I can help or just listen please do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

A few years ago I had a dream my friend got engaged. A few days later he emailed me to say he'd gotten engaged.

Last year (August 2010) I had a dream about my mother (who is deceased) and she told me my brother and his girlfriend were going to have a baby this summer. Then at Christmas my brother told me he and his girlfriend were expecting their first baby in July.

You are not putting a down feeling on the thread, this is where you can just let go of things, but this is the after hours thread and you need to understand that there maybe comments made that you feel unkind.

If you ever want to chat, feel free to pm me. I'm just someone who has lost 2 brothers suddenly and a brother in law. If you feel I can help or just listen please do so.

From the bottom of my heart thanks.. I know that its after hours an I've seen the bad side of things but I know also that people here do have a lot of respect about things, every now and again a reply comes along like yours.. I do appreciate it and the same goes To you too if ya need someone.. I'm here,???? feel free to pm me..

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

had a moment of what i think was deja vu at my fathers removal when i was 13,freaked me out big time and ive told people about it and they all thought it was strange but beleived me.made my dad dying a bit strange to me,it was as if id dreamed that it would happen so i felt guilty as a teenager growing up as if it was my fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I woke up yesterday at 04:30 and the wardrobe is at the end of my bed,but the door is after falling off it,and i have a gear bag on top of it,so when i woke up it was dark and it looked like the door was a body and the gear bag was a head,i really thought there was somebody standing at the end of my bed,i must admit i got some fright,but after i realised what it was i fell back asleep after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I would be interested to know what you think of this (I want you to talk sense to me). After my brother died, I went to his house to sympathise with his wife, very dramatic scenes, anyway as I was sitting there wondering what the hell had just happened, my head turned to a computer and a phone. A few people saw this and were just as freaked as I was. I wonder was it just shock.

Come on do your best - I need sense here.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

anyway as I was sitting there wondering what the hell had just happened, my head turned to a computer and a phone. A few people saw this and were just as freaked as I was. I wonder was it just shock.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

A keyboard my dad gave my daughter before he died worked years after he died without any batteries or plug!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I was working in Glasgow for a week a few years ago, I was staying at my mates house, he had to do some business down in London, so I was there in this big victorian house on my own. I had worked til about 7pm, gone back to his place and made some dinner, drank a bottle of beer with it, only one bottle. I started listening to some music on his stereo, which was sat diagonally opposite me to the right of his fireplace. Im in the corner of the sofa, only a lamp, above my head, was switched on and the blinds on the window were fully down to my left hand side.

Anyway, its a detached house, so I had the volume turned up louder than usual, it was getting to about 11pm when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a small orange flickering ball of light, (a little bigger than a golf ball) it started to do little circles, sharp movements and kind of darting about and then made its way over towards the fireplace, (a distance of about 16 feet) I was watching it for a good 45 seconds I reckon, it hung around there for a bit and I checked the room for reflective surfaces and the window, but the blinds were fully down and any gaps in it from an outside light source couldnt explain the distance it had covered. Eventually it then hovered over to the stereo, kind of danced around it for 5 seconds and then I watched it dart into it, the stereo went off with a bang like the fuse had gone and all the lights went off, I sat there for a moment and then using my phone as a torch, took the hint and went to bed. I had no idea where his fuse box was.

In the morning when I went downstairs, the lights worked and the stereo was in standby mode

I am very sceptical of the supernatural, psychics and the like, but I cannot explain what happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

After my brother died - he was an electrician, I wanted a sign that he was at peace. The electricity went four times and then cut out. Most unusual, even my husband who is trained as an electrician freeked out.

Thats whats known as an auto recloser working on an esb line.. They are designed to minimise faults by trying to switch a line back in after it initially trips and if the fault clears it stays in but if its still there it will open and close the switch afew more times to try clear the fault before locking out after going thru its programmed secquence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

The most simple freaky thing that happened me was when i was in bed one night. I rolled over still half asleep and as i did i felt a hand land on my face!! i was totally freaked till i realised id been lyin on my hand and it had gone asleep.. Was so simple happen but it freaked me out for a few mins.. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

BBDBB wrote: »
    I was working in Glasgow for a week a few years ago, I was staying at my mates house, he had to do some business down in London, so I was there in this big victorian house on my own. I had worked til about 7pm, gone back to his place and made some dinner, drank a bottle of beer with it, only one bottle. I started listening to some music on his stereo, which was sat diagonally opposite me to the right of his fireplace. Im in the corner of the sofa, only a lamp, above my head, was switched on and the blinds on the window were fully down to my left hand side.

Anyway, its a detached house, so I had the volume turned up louder than usual, it was getting to about 11pm when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a small orange flickering ball of light, (a little bigger than a golf ball) it started to do little circles, sharp movements and kind of darting about and then made its way over towards the fireplace, (a distance of about 16 feet) I was watching it for a good 45 seconds I reckon, it hung around there for a bit and I checked the room for reflective surfaces and the window, but the blinds were fully down and any gaps in it from an outside light source couldnt explain the distance it had covered. Eventually it then hovered over to the stereo, kind of danced around it for 5 seconds and then I watched it dart into it, the stereo went off with a bang like the fuse had gone and all the lights went off, I sat there for a moment and then using my phone as a torch, took the hint and went to bed. I had no idea where his fuse box was.

In the morning when I went downstairs, the lights worked and the stereo was in standby mode

I am very sceptical of the supernatural, psychics and the like, but I cannot explain what happened

Ball lightning perhaps?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

I was in 1st year in secondary school and I looked out the window one morning before class started and saw something similar. There was a blue-ish ball of light, a little bigger than a football in size, just hovering in mid air about 20 feet away from the window. It then moved forwards a few feet, flashed, and disappeared. Whole thing lasted only 5-6 seconds. By the time my friend turned his head to look it was gone and no one believed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Ball lightning perhaps?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

I was in 1st year in secondary school and I looked out the window one morning before class started and saw something similar. There was a blue-ish ball of light, a little bigger than a football in size, just hovering in mid air about 20 feet away from the window. It then moved forwards a few feet, flashed, and disappeared. Whole thing lasted only 5-6 seconds. By the time my friend turned his head to look it was gone and no one believed me.

Thanks, possibly, but it was definitely orange (like a flame, in colour) and I dont recall any odour of sulphur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

was walking up by glasnevin cemetary late one night probably around 3am

i got the feeling i was being followed by someone but that they were walking parallel to me rather than behind me

i was getting a bit nervous but kept telling myself it was my imagination

well i was walking along by a low part of the wall when i got the feeling the person (if it was a person) was getting much closer to me - then i noticed a low glow in the graveyard and i know i should have just kept walking but i thought its now or never so i hopped the wall and walked towards it

at this stage i was feeling the presence even closer to me like it was maybe 15 feet away but in the darkness - suddenly i stopped feeling afraid and a feeling of not being in danger washed over me

i could see the glowing light getting closer and eventually i discovered it was coming from behind one particular headstone so i walked towards it

it was a broad headstone and i approached it slowly as the nervousness began to return to me - i glanced behind me for a second and realised it was probably a big mistake to have come so far from the road and the only place any other people might be at this hour of night

but i pressed on and walked behind the headstone to find out what the source of light was - it was a battery powered torch with a green bulb in it propped up against the headstone

i could see various things scattered in the vicinity of the torch but I couldn't see them clearly - there were crumpled pages of a newspaper there which had been blown around the area and there were old style glass bottles and tins there too

right next to the torch there was a plastic bag which obviously had something heavy in it as it hadnt been blown around like the newspaper

at the exact moment that i spotted the bag i heard a voice behind me (or maybe in my head) whisper "open the bag - its for you"

i got a chill that stopped me from moving for several seconds - somehow i knew that the message about the bag had come from the presence i had been aware of since i left the road - to this day i couldnt tell you if i actually heard the message aloud or in my head

anyway i thought "ok ive come this far" and I grabbed the handle of the bag and pulled it towards me

there was a long gash in the side of the bag and human waste fell from it onto my legs, shoes and hands

i heard laughter and before i knew what was happening someone or something came out of the dark and grabbed the torch and ran in the direction of the road

i was left standing in the pitch black covered in faeces and i just burst into tears

easily the freakiest thing thats every happened to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

About 10 years ago my Da was havin an operation, it was a fairly routine one. I was in work at the time and during the time of his op I had a trickle of blood run down from my nose. This was very unusual as I wouldnt really ever get nosebleeds. Turned out, that during my Da's operation there was complications and he lost a lot of blood and had to have a transfusion.

Found that quite freaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

The wind is just picking up here, and it reminded me of one of the first nights I spent alone in the house, my husband was gone out for a pint (not to be disturbed) so it was just me and my 11 month old daughter who was asleep.
    Outside I heard chains rattling on the pavement along with a knocking sound, I ran around the house locking all windows and doors. Following day I found out it was a neighbours dog that is usually chained up getting free.

And this was the freakieast thing that ever happened to you? a dog rattling his chain? you must have led a very placid life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Was over in London for a meeting and was walking in a random back street near the office and a cab pulls up beside me to drop off a passenger who was an old acquaintance of mine from over 20 years ago.

What?
    Sorry I just realised I deleted a bit by accident. His death was very sudden (he took his own life), and it felt as though my head was being turned towards his laptop which was on the counter with the telephone right beside it - it seemed odd. Later we found out that he may have left a note (this may be rumour or it could be true, we will never know). It was just very scarey at the time and I find it hard to be in that house. I know I'm just being stupid.

youtube! wrote: »
    And this was the freakieast thing that ever happened to you? a dog rattling his chain? you must have led a very placid life.

I wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

A keyboard my dad gave my daughter before he died worked years after he died without any batteries or plug!
    It's called a piano in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Watching anything directed by David Lynch generally freaks the hell out of me.
    It was my first time watching 'Mulholland Drive', which is quite scary from the word go.I'm watching it alone, with the lights turned off. Its coming towards the end of the film so I'm well creeped out at this stage, and there's a scene where a woman falls on a bed and it bursts into smoke. Right at that moment the fire alarm went off in the hallway! I hadn't cooked for hours and don't smoke.
    Serious coincidence. Almost soiled myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Getting followed around the streets by our special branch a few years back for some Josef K reason. Would have gone to Australia but it was too much fun staying here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

Driving late one evening and the car filled with this really strong smell of piped tobacco it got so strong I had to pull the car over it was making me sick! Luckily I did this car came out of no where narrowly missing my car freaky... The smell disappeared immediately after weird

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I thought the thread title said "Feeky things that happened to you" and I got my hopes up for another Feeky thread! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

I thought the thread title said "Feeky things that happened to you" and I got my hopes up for another Feeky thread! :o

I wonder what happened to him after the grinds teacher story..... I had my hopes raised too but alas, it was not to be.....
    :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I saw a girl with webbed toes once.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement