Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hits

Options
  • 10-09-2011 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Been getting over 250,000 hits a month on a site of mine, i've always stayed clear of cluttering it up with google ads etc but a lot of people have said i should be making money off it and i have had all kinds of mixed messages around advertising.

I do have 6 months of stats stored with my host.

I'm not too up to speed on the whole google ads but two questions

1. Can 250k hits a month be turned into any real payback
    2. what options would be available to me if i went down this road.

Any info or feedback welcome

Please & thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Hi, it depends what you mean by a "hit". To me this means impressions which is only one dimension of the traffic you receive.

Do you have Google Analytics installed on your site? If not, I'd set up a an account and get it installed. The data will be very useful to you even if you don't go down the Adsense route.

Can't advise you how much money you'll make.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

"Hits" aren't that useful a metric, as a single page load will equate to multiple "hits"
    What is key is page views (and visitors)

In terms of making money - it will depend on the type of site and the content / audience it attracts. Using something like Google Adsense you can make money from most sites, though how much will vary wildly

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

cheers for the replies guys, suppose it wouldn't do any harm to give it a try for a few months.

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Well if it was 250k unique visitors and not hits per month you can nearly start giving up your day job !!!!!

U need to monotise it.. anyone that tells u different is a nub and needs a slap.. Although you might want to keep the site clean there are still other ways, than blatently slapping up in your face adds..

Well if it was 250k unique visitors and not hits per month you can nearly start giving up your day job !!!!!

U need to monotise it.. anyone that tells u different is a nub and needs a slap.. Although you might want to keep the site clean there are still other ways, than blatently slapping up in your face adds..

Giving up the day job there's a thought, sadly unique visitors is only 5000 on average a month :D

Could you suggest any good reading material on this, something accurate, all i can find is Americans telling me how to earn 5k a month and for some reason i don't believe them.

• Advertisement

5k a month isnt bad really .. not quite the site to retire off of..

This breaks down to approx 166 Unique visitors a day over a 30 day month period.
    To Monotise using adsense would be a fantastic thing and in my opinion does not take from the site it gives an added sense of Professionalism to a site.. Some nice fresh ads i think is what makes a site. Looking at the same old crap week in week out doesnt i think, give justice anyones site. I like ads for some reason.. it may just be me.

Adsense has an average 2%-6% normally on most sites.. Some a lot more .. some a lot less, if the site is based on wordpress and not html the site could be up into the 20% range

So to break it down to raw numbers it really depends on what your niche is, if its a crap joke, or perhaps a video site the traffic isnt really seen by google as good traffic and your cpc will be between .5cents and €1 .. which is pretty low.
    IF its an insurance website my friend you can be looking at between €20-€40 a click (yes per click)

On average lets make an assumption its €1-€2

166 unique visitors with an average 2% coversion ratio - 5% would be
    4 clicks - 10 clicks
    €4 - €10 at the lower end of cpc a day
    €8- €20 a day at the higher end of the imaginary cpc
    x 30 days =

€120 - €300 @ 1 euro a click
    €240 - €600 a month @ 2 euro a click

There are lots and lots of variables but as you can see the results of that speak for themselves.

Also Adsense is not the only monotoization of a ewbsite you can do.. for instance
    Clickbank and Commission Junction are others CPA ads you can put up (click per action)

If your website is all about "curing haemorids with an easy home made cure " you could get up to an impression 60% conversion ratio if sold in a pdf or ebook which has and is being done. Which u might be able to give up the job on :P

If your niche is a Lamb chop Recipe site and people are really only after a quick bit of info the conversion would be literally **** all and u might be lucky to get 5% ..

But to give you an insight into your cash money that you are leaving behind.. It really depends on the niche of the website..

Again im rambling.. wish you the best

Cheers..

http://www.monetise.it/
    http://www.problogger.net/

Feel free to read the **** out of those 2 websites.. Some pro information and its well worth a bookmark

:D Appy

Cracking piece of reading, i think at the end of the day i have absolutely nothing to lose, I'm mostly running vbulletin on a few sites i have and i think there pretty add friendly, i've seeing plenty of add-ons for advertising but never really paid much heed to them, its only recently i've asked myself why am i putting my time and money into these sites ?

I was getting over 300,000 hits at one stage but i got a pain doing things like sending out newsletters and trying to bring members/guests back onto the site the numbers above would encourage me to get the finger out again.

Well you have convinced me to give this a try, too bad its a Sunday night or I'd get right to it but hopefully i'll be back with some good feedback.

Thanks again for your time and effort

Mark

No prob any time

And remember one last tip.. no paralysis analysis.. take action today !

jeez, seems i tried this before and gave up, already had an account from a few years back, i have 14 domains i can add for advertising.

would you suggest adding domains for adds by changing the DNS or Cname

Can't really see an option for changing the DNS with my host, which is blacknight lol

• Advertisement

I dont quite get what u mean you had 14 domains for advertising ??

Does that mean u had 14 domains or sites to put advertising on ?

The dns should not be touched bro !!

Im not quite sure what u mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I dont quite get what u mean you had 14 domains for advertising ??

Does that mean u had 14 domains or sites to put advertising on ?
    Domain parking. It can be quite lucrative with the right domains but it is even more traffic based than ordinary content based advertising as people type the website with the domain name expecting to land on a real content website. Instead they get a page full of PPC adverts and theoretically they may click on some.

Regards...jmcc

Oh right.. cashparking

Godaddy is my domain carrier i have about 20 with them... pure ****e ..
    ive made like 90cent in about 6 months.. when they expire there gone.

If ure with godaddy they setup the adds themselves on the domain name..
    Takes like 40 seconds to select all and press cashpark m8. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Parking domains might have worked in the past, but unless you have really good domains (objectively) you won't earn much if anything at all. You'd probably be better off trying to develop them ie. put content on them

i did say I'd come back, looks like I'm worth about 5 quid a day :D

anyway overall the ads really don't look that bad and if i can run my few sites without having to put my hand in my pocket anymore I'll be happy enough with that.

I'm just guessing but I'm sure google search engines offer some preferable treatment to sites using adsense and i got an email last night saying my youtube account has been selected for advertising

thanks again

Weh hey :D

Thats the shot... at least now you can valuate your websites now .. whats its finallcially worth etc.

well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Moonstar

dubsbhoy wrote: »
    i did say I'd come back, looks like I'm worth about 5 quid a day :D
    Every little helps :pac:
    dubsbhoy wrote: »
    I'm just guessing but I'm sure google search engines offer some preferable treatment to sites using adsense
    I don't think so, at least the official line has always been that the ad business of Google doesn't affect the search results, and vice versa.

Advertisement