Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frogs in my garden

Options
  • 10-09-2011 1:21am
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I just noticed that I have a large frog in my garden. My dog wouldn't come in tonight which is very unusual for her so when I went out she was just sitting there staring at the frog. Now the frog is dead and I just don't know why I'd be getting them as this is the third one in less than two years. I don't like them and am sick at the thoughts of having to discard of the frog and don't really want to get any more. Any suggestions as to why I might be getting them and what I can do to keep them away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Don't know hoe to get rid of them but they are great to have around for eating slugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

redser7 wrote: »
    Don't know hoe to get rid of them but they are great to have around for eating slugs.

Hope that is a type-o and you're not suggesting hoe-ing them to death:eek:

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Well, said frog is actually not dead. Got up this morning when it was bright and flung the frog over the fence but he jumped back. He's a big one too!! the thoughts of him in the garden is making me feel sick. However, my dog is not so put off. She's not going to let it go and is currently out there eyeing it up and snapping at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Have you thought of kissing it, this could be your lucky day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

DON'T kill it anyway or let the dog do a job on it. Have you anyone there or nearby that could catch it and release it into a nearby woods or park, preferably with access to a pond or lake? The frog population is getting worse all the time so they need our help from time to time.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Have you thought of kissing it, this could be your lucky day.
    I've considered it :D
    DON'T kill it anyway or let the dog do a job on it. Have you anyone there or nearby that could catch it and release it into a nearby woods or park, preferably with access to a pond or lake? The frog population is getting worse all the time so they need our help from time to time.
    The frog is still ok. The dog wont leave it's side. I have some family coming over later so I will ask my brother in law. There is no way am i touching it! so we'll see what comes of it.

Ok the frog is gone! phew! Just had a guy over doing some work in the house so he removed it for me! Thank god. At least it was still alive!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why were you so fraught about the idea of having a frog in the garden?

why were you so fraught about the idea of having a frog in the garden?
    They freak me out. Don't like them one bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

frogs are cool and pretty harmless,
    we have them around here aswell despit not living anywhere near a lake or stream, but the ground was kinda boggy/mountainy but since we builtthe house and drained the site it has dried up and we don't have them in the garde anymore. that said we live adjacent to a wood and that has the same boggy/mountainy type land that we are on and often when i would walk through it i would see loads of frog spawn in the puddles, so i guess their is still plenty of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

The frog population is getting worse all the time so they need our help from time to time.

I often hear this said, but I was clearing some overgrown areas in my garden recently and - no exaggeration - there were 30 to 40 frogs about the place, all different sizes and colours.

We live on boggy ground near a lake btw.

Unlike the OP I love having them around. They are our allies in the war on brassica devouring beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

+1, frogs are very useful to have around the garden.

Harmless and interesting creatures, it is a pity that some people fear/do not like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

I'd love to get a few frogs around the veg patch. When we were kids we'd catch them down the end of the garden and try to race them. This year I think I've spotted about about 3 in total. It's the same location, and if anything has gotten wetter, but the population seems to have died off. By contrast my brother, who lives in Sligo, had to give up mowing his lawn this year. Everywhere he walked he came across frogs in the grass so he just let it go wild.

Advertisement