Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finance or cash up front for a car ?

• 10-09-2011 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, as some of yous may know I'm looking for a car for work. At the moment, I'm renting a car to get me to Kerry and back.

Myself and my fiance were talking about financing a car. Would we be mad to do this ? If we buy in cash we have a budget of €20K. This would be a car for me.
    I took a look at 2010 Impreza's & Legacy's. 2011 Dodge Nitro. And a 2010 Citroen C5. All within the €20K cash budget. As for financing (Roughly €50K), we looked at the BMW X3, Audi Q5, Audi A5 SB, Merc C-Class 220 CDI AMG Sport. But, if we finance. Would it be better to wait until 2012 ?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

if you have 20k to sped up front on a car, no way would i consider finance. 20k buys lots of car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You both would want to have very secure jobs to borrow that kind of money on a car in the current economic climate. I suppose you have to ask yourselves if one or both of you lost your job(s) could you afford to still pay the finance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Crazy to use finance OP - no way that makes sense , if you have 20,000 cash then use that - avoid borrowing where possible ( in your case there is no need to borrow ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

I had same problem a year ago, at the end, i choose pay cash.... glad i did it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Get a legacy estate within your cash budget. Practical-ish car, nice to drive, good in all weather conditions.

You'd be nuts to get a car on finance if you'd that much cash available to buy one, finance will cost you more in the end, and as has already been said if your circumstances changed you could be in difficulty.
    Owning the car outright will be a weight off your mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

If in the UK I would disagree strongly with the cash argument. One can lease a new C class estate there for around 350 euros a month all in over 3 years. Why bother buying when the lease companies can negotiate such large purchase discounts on new motors. Here its a little different, the same C class will probably be around 700 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

lomb wrote: »
    If in the UK I would disagree strongly with the cash argument. One can lease a new C class estate there for around 350 euros a month all in over 3 years. Why bother buying when the lease companies can negotiate such large purchase discounts on new motors. Here its a little different, the same C class will probably be around 700 a month.

because just like when you start out... i always thought it was for when you're upgrading per say... then you have something to put against the new purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

:D My depressing recession look on things at the moment....I'd nearly max out at €10k of a spend unless you both work in a 100% secure job, ie the civil service. If one or both lose your job you may not be able to keep up payments, it's quite easy to sell something on below €10k privately if you have to leave the country to get a job and have the other €10k to set yourself up for a few months. If buying new wait until 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I got a car loan once and I swear never ever again. Use the cash OP, borrowing 20K will cost u nearly 25K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

lomb wrote: »

There is no such thing as personal Contract Hire in Ireland. It's a UK thing.

And I'd imagine the same C Class would be closer to 900/1000 here.

OP, 20k will buy a lot of car, you'd be nuts to finance a car if you can afford to spend 20k on a motor.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

OP, 20k will buy a lot of car, you'd be nuts to finance a car if you can afford to spend 20k on a motor.

:confused: Yes there is, lack of competition just means the deals aren't as good.

copacetic wrote: »
    :confused: Yes there is, lack of competition just means the deals aren't as good.

Really? Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd also like to know. Like Drummerboy probably gets asked a few times a week, I do to, so it would be great to be able to give an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Cash all the way...taking out finance for a depreciating asset is stupid if you can avoid it and 20k buys a lot of car.

I presume for that amount you mean the old model Legacy?

Really? Who?

Audi and BMW both do very similar schemes.

http://www.audi.ie/ie/brand/en/Finance/financial_products.html

Audi even call theirs a pcp. Value isn't same as uk though as they are manufacturer schemes, but they suit someone wanting a set payment and no risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

pburns wrote: »
    Cash all the way...taking out finance for a depreciating asset is stupid if you can avoid it and 20k buys a lot of car.

+1.

I never even though about getting a finance for car, unless it's going to bring income (f.e. taking a loan for a car that will be used for business to bring money).

For private purposes general rule is always to buy a car which you can afford in cash. At least for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Depending on your circumstances, it might be an idea to finance a 20k car and keep the ball of cash given the way the country is.
    I paid over 50k for a car in 08 and to be honest, it was an absolute waste of money.
    Having said that, 20k buys alot of car now but IMO just misses alot of the nice stuff.

Audi and BMW both do very similar schemes.

http://www.audi.ie/ie/brand/en/Finance/financial_products.html

Audi even call theirs a pcp. Value isn't same as uk though as they are manufacturer schemes, but they suit someone wanting a set payment and no risk.

They also suit someone who wants an Audi or BMW but...............what if you want something else? You also have to be bulletproof to be approved for it, something that is few and far between in Ireland.

As I said, personal Contract Hire doesnt really exist in Ireland. If you want one of the above brands, and can probably afford to buy the car straight anyway then the above may suit you. If you want something that isn't BMW or Audi then you're stumped.

Anyway, all of the above is useless because most Irish people don't even know how Contract Hire works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Ensti wrote: »
    Hi, as some of yous may know I'm looking for a car for work. At the moment, I'm renting a car to get me to Kerry and back.

Myself and my fiance were talking about financing a car. Would we be mad to do this ? If we buy in cash we have a budget of €20K. This would be a car for me.
    I took a look at 2010 Impreza's & Legacy's. 2011 Dodge Nitro. And a 2010 Citroen C5. All within the €20K cash budget. As for financing (Roughly €50K), we looked at the BMW X3, Audi Q5, Audi A5 SB, Merc C-Class 220 CDI AMG Sport. But, if we finance. Would it be better to wait until 2012 ?

Thanks guys

Never ever spend your own money on a depreciating asset, mental stuff.

Finance the 20k over 3 years, this will cost you ONLY €2850 over the 3 year, or next to nothing in lay man terms.

And you'll have your car and 20K in the bank if anything goes wrong.

Spend 20k and you have nothing to fall back on! Crazy advice on here about spending all your money on a car.

They also suit someone who wants an Audi or BMW but...............what if you want something else? You also have to be bulletproof to be approved for it, something that is few and far between in Ireland.

As I said, personal Contract Hire doesnt really exist in Ireland. If you want one of the above brands, and can probably afford to buy the car straight anyway then the above may suit you. If you want something that isn't BMW or Audi then you're stumped.

Anyway, all of the above is useless because most Irish people don't even know how Contract Hire works.

Jeez, wtf to you want!? You didn't say it 'doesn't really exist', you said there is no such thing. I pointed out there was, gave two examples, pointed out the limitations. Then you post that we Irish are too stupid to understand it anyway and it doesnt really exist in spite of evidence in black and white so therefore you were still right all along?

Delusional is the kindest word...

• Advertisement

Jeez, wtf to you want!? You didn't say it 'doesn't really exist', you said there is no such thing. I pointed out there was, gave two examples, pointed out the limitations. Then you post that we Irish are too stupid to understand it anyway and it doesnt really exist in spite of evidence in black and white so therefore you were still right all along?

Delusional is the kindest word...

Seeing as I work in the Contract Hire game, I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about.

However, as there is usually no winning with anyone on the motors forum, I'd like to say one thing.

Good man for posting the above. Its about what I've come to expect of this place.

Advertisement