Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Katia heading for Ireland!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Console

Whats people expectations of this?
    Its nice and calm here in North Dublin. I know it aint going to be a hurricane :P but looking outside you wouldnt even think it was going to be a bad day (by irelands standards anyways :P )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Early tomorrow morning for period of 12-18 hours. The current wind is from a different system. Heavy rain on the way soon too for good measure.

Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal, Derry, Tyrone Antrim should be on high alert for falling trees/structural damage such as garden items/loose roofing.

Midlands region and west will have some very strong gusts too but to a less serious extent, we may still see some storm force winds though, so be alert.

East coast, south and south-east should avoid the worst of it but should still have strong gales. No severe winds but the forecast is still changing, it may be stronger/weaker yet. Check with Met Eireann's warnings and advice in this evening and tonight's forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

This thing gonna hit the south western areas, Limerick & Cork for example?

We're getting an extention built on, and there are stacks of blocks and insulation around the back of the house. Should they be secured or are they grand where they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Ehhhh think they got this wrong :confused:

Its is a lovely evening in Dublin vey mild and very little wind :confused:

• Advertisement

Justask wrote: »
    Ehhhh think they got this wrong :confused:

Its is a lovely evening in Dublin vey mild and very little wind :confused:

In Limerick it's somewhat windy but that's not been abnormal over the last few days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

We're getting an extention built on, and there are stacks of blocks and insulation around the back of the house. Should they be secured or are they grand where they are?

Can't see lose bricks being effected (but don't take my word for it) but any lose plastic sheeting which they oft times use as a temp measure - or other similar light items, might need looking at - just to be safe than sorry.

@Biggins Thanks, dude. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Looking at M6 Buoy report:
    Wind 22 Knts Gusting 33 knts.
    Pressure 979
    Wave Height 3M
    Interesting to watch over next few hours to see will there be much of an increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Its not even a hurricane anymore right? This will just be nothing, don't get too worried over it guys it will just be a bit of wind. Its being blown out of proportion.

• Advertisement

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Its not even a hurricane anymore right? This will just be nothing, don't get too worried over it guys it will just be a bit of wind. Its being blown out of proportion.

I've heard that it's currently a tropical storm and it'll have lightened up before it gets here. Mainly areas near to the coast, I'd imagine will be hit the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Its lovely out might go for a drink so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

im here in bantry now looking out over the bay and can see katia coming up the bay batten down the hatches lads n lassies:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

There is nothing about it on YR weather which is a site commercial people use

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/

It could be something - but HOPEFULLY nothing.
    There's no harm in taking a few minor precautions - just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There was more wind under me duvet this morning than outside today :rolleyes: :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

thinkin of trying to work from home tomorrow instead cause of this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Are you serious? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

You poor lamb :(

• Advertisement

Are you serious? :mad:
    temply wrote: »
    You poor lamb :(

no i'm terribly sleep deprived, what I meant to say was i'm thinking of using this as an excuse not to go in to work tomorrow. (but I will work from home)

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

no i'm terribly sleep deprived, what I meant to say was i'm thinking of using this as an excuse not to go in to work tomorrow. (but I will work from home)

i really wouldn't

it will just make you look pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

My first day of college tomorrow so I have no sympathy for anybody who doesn't have anything significant to do tomorrow. I know that no matter how bad the weather is I have to go in tomorrow.

temply wrote: »
    i really wouldn't

it will just make you look pathetic

fair enough. noted.

My first day of college tomorrow so I have no sympathy for anybody who doesn't have anything significant to do tomorrow. I know that no matter how bad the weather is I have to go in tomorrow.

I have to travel to County Dublin, to get my child to Crumlin Hospital for a body cast change - I think not turning up for work might be seen as seriously pushing it more than a bit beyond credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lovely balmy evening here in Dublin and I'm heading for my nightly jog on Portmarnock beach.

We'd lands filling sandbags in work over the weekend in preparation for Katia, probably for nothing now!.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

been pi*sing rain here in roscommon for last 2hrs or so (nothing new there :D) barely any wind though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Thats just silly. What if the electric goes? Go in to work ya big baby :p

Thats just silly. What if the electric goes? Go in to work ya big baby :p

if it did go, how would being in work instead of at home be better?

nah not going in now, already told the boss. i have a good reason by the way, it's just not something i can tell the boss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Console

rossie1977 wrote: »
    been pi*sing rain here in roscommon for last 2hrs or so (nothing new there :D) barely any wind though

Exact same here in North Dublin :)

Advertisement