Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get the word out there!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Good thread.

A quick comment here- I really dislike people who mention it in every video, but they are out there- Subbing, commenting and liking are important if you like a video, they push it up on youtube's search rankings which can only lead to more people finding us when they do a search. So if it's something you never do, I am sure everyone else will agree with me that we'd appreciate it if you liked the odd one :)

It's not often I do this.

This is off topic and if ye want to continue talking about something that I already asked if anyone had any objections I would ask you to take it over to the correct thread to do so, so I can ignore it properly there.

If people want to post further in this thread, it better be something helpful to kneecap getting us out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

This might sound like the most ridiculous idea in the world, but-
    What about trying something through TV? I've noticed over the last few years that RTE seem to do documantaries about, well, pretty much anything. Following the life of one guy for a few weeks who does something slighty out of the ordinary, showing his good times, bad times, and blah blah blah.

What I'm getting at here is, would you risk asking them to film the setting up, organizing, and performance of a tournament? There's a good chance they wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested, but then again, if it's done professionally and through the right channels, they might latch on to the idea. God knows, they've shown stranger things.

It's not that crazy. I've been thinking about contacting DCTV and asking them if they want to run some of our footage sometime.

It's not that crazy. I've been thinking about contacting DCTV and asking them if they want to run some of our footage sometime.

It would be a great way to get noticed a bit. Bringing the concept of fighting games being played on a large scale to the masses that would have thought they'd died out somewhere in the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Add more suggestions people.

also: Northerners: What's the deal with randomselect.ie?

Are you behind it too? I didn't give you a Randomselect.ie presents before your tourny on SRK, nor did I mention it on the page at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Add more suggestions people.

also: Northerners: What's the deal with randomselect.ie?

Are you behind it too? I didn't give you a Randomselect.ie presents before your tourny on SRK, nor did I mention it on the page at all.

As I said in the IRC channel, the name isn't great but I'll take it over a game-specific one any day of the week.

Can't see any reason not to push the Northern events kneecap, we're pretty much one scene anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Well I certainly see us as one scene. I been to Belfast a few times, and I've never been to cork or limerick.

But I don't want to hijack anything on anyone. So that's also apologies to Chopper Voa and Sairus ;)

Bigger apologies to sabre, I'll add some limerick stuff soon.

I've noticed Belfast, Cork, and Limerick being mentioned, and Dublin kinda goes without saying. But does anything ever happen in Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Unfortunately, no one in Galway has started organising anything (nudge, nudge)

Orim wrote: »
    Unfortunately, no one in Galway has started organising anything (nudge, nudge)

I'd certainly be willing to help out, but at the moment, I wouldn't even no wear to start. Feel free to hit me up with ideas, because I'd love to see something happen round these parts.

Really the only way to start is to find a venue that's willing to run an event either for free or a reasonable price. Gaming cafe, pub, public hall, anywhere that has room for some people and consoles. Preferably somewhere that's near enough to the bus/train station for those of us that would be travelling down. That's the main thing, once you have that it's fairly handy to get things up and running.

I'll have a look around, and see what I can see-hee-hee. I'm still relatively new to Galway, but since it's a college town, I'm sure there are some fighters in out misdt. What about consoles/tvs/games? How do you guys usually sort that?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

deathrider wrote: »
    I'll have a look around, and see what I can see-hee-hee. I'm still relatively new to Galway, but since it's a college town, I'm sure there are some fighters in out misdt. What about consoles/tvs/games? How do you guys usually sort that?

I believe there's a few community monitors and players are encouraged to bring their own stuff if possible. I'm sure someone will inform you better than i can :P

Great thread, signed up to everything i wasn't signed up to before.

Pretty much it's all just brought by whoever is coming. We have 4 monitors in Dublin that we use for stuff and could be brought along if ye are really stuck.

But as I say the main thing is finding a decent affordable venue for tournaments. Also got find out if there is galway people around. A thread here, try on the facebook etc

I'll do a little investigating to see if I know some people who know some people (I know very few people round these parts).

I'm getting some good pointers over on the Galway City forums as for where would be good for venues. Could be something in the works yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

deathrider wrote: »
    I'm getting some good pointers over on the Galway City forums as for where would be good for venues. Could be something in the works yet.

Start a thread man, find out who'd be interested in going and all that jazz, good idea on the Galway forums too, might get people who wouldn't check the FG forums regularly to hear about it and spread the word.

aeonfusion wrote: »
    Start a thread man, find out who'd be interested in going and all that jazz, good idea on the Galway forums too, might get people who wouldn't check the FG forums regularly to hear about it and spread the word.

Yeah, I'll stick a thread up hear now in a minute. I've also hit up a few bits and pieces around facebook where Galway gamers are known to hang out. Hopefully that will perk up an ear or two.

• Advertisement

For those of you who want to help support the fighting game youtubers.

Sign into your youtube account.

Click your name in the top right corner.

Click my channel in the drop down.

Click modules in the bar at the top.

Tick "other channels"

Scroll down and you will see a new box for other channels.

Type in the name of whoever you want to support:

Brianvondoom
    Sairusillumina
    nutrient16

or whoever. Click save in the other channels box and save in the top bar.

Bang, you'll have a little box recommending us to whoever checks out your youtube page.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cool, didn't know about that.
    Done.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/KikiDaiso?feature=mhee

Favour returned Kiki.

BTW, I don't mind anyone taking any of my footage as long as there's some kind of pointer back to my channel in the description. Lets really try and get out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Me also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Don't forget about the Tempest Twitter feed! :pac:

http://twitter.com/#!/Tempest_IE

EDIT: New QR Code :pac:

Also, here's a QR Code for RandomSelect.ie :
    RandomSelectQRCode-1.png

Hurry up and get it tattooed on all your foreheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Sairus wrote: »
    Also, here's a QR Code for RandomSelect.ie :
    Hurry up and get it tattooed on all your foreheads.
    If you use goo.gl as a URL shortener then make a QR code from it (either through the one it provides or from another generator) you can track how many people are using that shortened URL, what device/OS/browser they're using, etc.

Vyze wrote: »
    If you use goo.gl as a URL shortener then make a QR code from it (either through the one it provides or from another generator) you can track how many people are using that shortened URL, what device/OS/browser they're using, etc.

Okay, new QR code :pac:

RandomSelectQRCode-1.png

Can you edit that one out of your quote above so people don't accidentally copy it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Sairus wrote: »
    Can you edit that one out of your quote above so people don't accidentally copy it?
    Done! Plus using a shortener for QR codes is always always a good idea since you get a less busy code, meaning that you can print it smaller and still have it be reliable on devices with pretty bad cameras.

Advertisement