Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop can't see Wireless Router

Options
  • 10-09-2011 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

I have a HP laptop. I've been using mobile broadband for the last few months (Meteor, Broaband to Go). I noticed a while back that the wireless connections aren't showing up on my Connections are available panel (only the Broadband to Go one). I am no longer using Broadband to Go and want to connect wirelessly again. Has anyone else come across this problem? Do you know how to resolve it?

A couple of notes:

- The HP Wireless Assistant Combo is on.

- When Windows starts it still looks for the Broadband To Go .exe file, even though I've tried to remove it.

- The Broadband To Go icon still appears in my Connections are available panel, even though I've tried to remove it.

Thanks in advance. I have found this sub-forum very helpful in the past.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

How did you try to remove the Broadband to go software?

Is it set to be your default connection anywhere by any chance?

Is the wireless on the laptop switched off by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

dub45 wrote: »
    How did you try to remove the Broadband to go software?

Is it set to be your default connection anywhere by any chance?

Is the wireless on the laptop switched off by any chance?

There's an uninstall icon that you press to remove Broadband to Go.

I would say it is my default connection, but again, don't know how to change this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

In the "Connections are available" page, there is a sub-category for wireless. Nothing is appearing under that, correct?
    With HP machines, "HP Wireless Assistant" can claim that it's on, but that's just the software switch. There should be a physical switch/button on your laptop to enable and disable the wireless. On HP/Compaq machines, there is generally a light to indicate if this is on or not. If it's not on, then the light will glow orange. If it's on, the light will glow blue.

If its off (orange), then turn it on, check the "Connections are availible" page and see if any networks appear now.

What wireless network are you trying to connect to? (eircom/upc/etc.)
    Is the Wireless/Wifi/Wlan light appearing on the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

In the "Connections are available" page, there is a sub-category for wireless. Nothing is appearing under that, correct?
    With HP machines, "HP Wireless Assistant" can claim that it's on, but that's just the software switch. There should be a physical switch/button on your laptop to enable and disable the wireless. On HP/Compaq machines, there is generally a light to indicate if this is on or not. If it's not on, then the light will glow orange. If it's on, the light will glow blue.

If its off (orange), then turn it on, check the "Connections are availible" page and see if any networks appear now.

What wireless network are you trying to connect to? (eircom/upc/etc.)
    Is the Wireless/Wifi/Wlan light appearing on the modem?

The wireless is definitely on. The light is blue.

When I start up the computer it automatically tries to start my Broadband to go. It comes up with a message "Windows can find etc. etc. Broaband to go".

How do I stop Windows automatically trying to start this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Run msconfig and check to see if it is still in start up if it is clear the check box click update and the reboot.

I managed to remove Broadband to Go as an automatic start-up, thank you.

I opened up Wireless Assistant and when you look closely the Wireless LAN Adapter was actually disabled - though the blue light was still on. I had to go to Device Manager to enable it.

This solved the problem. Thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

As far as I am aware the physical switch on laptops makes it available or not available it doesn't effect the enabled/disabled setting.

Advertisement