Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet disconnects when phone is answered - Not a filter problem I think

• 10-09-2011 10:13am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all. Figure I'd make a new topic rather than drag up a zombie topic to ask my question.

Recently I've been having a problem whereby when my phone is answered or hung up (not when its ringing but when the call connects and disconnects), my net connection is cutting out. I did have this problem a few years back and solved it by putting a filter on the lone phone connection in the house. I thought it might have been that the old filter was no longer working so went and bought a new one yesterday but it's not fixed the problem. :/ We've not changed the phone lines, the phone or anything involved with the connection. There was no change that should have led to this problem. It just started one day.

Anyone know what else it could be? I'm on Eircom's broadband package with a Netopia router if that helps. I'll also say that I noticed at the same time this problem reappeared, the network speed drastically increased as well. To the day the disconnects started happening, things which used to take 2 hours to download now take about 15-20 minutes. Any help is appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joeyoey

got the same problem also. put new filters on but problems persist. i'm on vodafone and their router. also since i set up the router my landline clicks (like someone hanging up on an extension) during a call. anyone got any ideas. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

If you're positive your internal setup is okay (all devices filtered, that includes skyboxes/alarms/faxes/phones etc) then it could be an issue at the exchange end - check with your providers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sounds as they may have bumped up the speed on the line but the physical line can't handle it (poor quality, distance etc.) due to the noise levels.

Can you both post the noise on the line (you'll get it from the modem)?

i have phonewatch and doubt if this is filtered. is it a big job to do this. hate the idea of paying through the nose if its relatively easy.

Upstream Downstream CurrRate(kbps)8278 127 MaxRate(kbps)11641 1280 NoiseMargin(dB)16.3 8.4 Attenuation(dB)37.0 13.2Power(dBm)12.3 0.0
    Nody is this what you mean?

• Advertisement
Advertisement