Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Services Engineering or Engineering Systems Maintenance???

Options
  • 10-09-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Anybody got any thoughts on Electrical Services Engineering or Engineering Systems Maintenance in DIT? Like them both but not sure which to go for - is Electrical Engineering a more recognised qualification?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Electrical Services dt010 covers the design of electrical installations in buildings such as fire-alarm, emergency lighting, lighting, general services, power distribution etc..

Electrical Services is a ok course. At the end of the day if you are prepared to put the work in you will enjoy it. Its a level 7 course ordinary degree.

Electronic/Electrical Engineering dt021 is a level 8 honours degree and holds much more weight. It covers alot more than dt010. The level of maths required for dt021 would be high. But again, if you are prepared to put the work in you will be ok.

If you choose to do Electrical Services Eng. you are given the option to transfer into year 3 of Electrical Engineering dt021 when you complete Elec Services Eng.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+ 1 to Pieface.

I think the days of completing DT010 and getting a job from this qualification alone are gone. In reality it is a 2 year course aimed at electricians. During the boom it worked very well for many.
    In my opinion the type of work that this course was aimed at simply does not exist anymore (speaking as a DIT graduate that works in a related area). Very few non electricians did this course, so very few did the full 3 years.

Electrical engineering is a very broad term covering a very wide range of courses at many different levels. If you are unsure what you would like to do I think it is best to go to an open day. At these open days you get to meet students on these courses, lecturers and former students. This is an ideal time to ask questions, see projects and asses employment prospects. DIT would be able to advise as to when the next open day is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lightening strike1

Thanks for that. I can see where you are coming from as regards the days of getting a job with Electrical Services Engineering are gone, that's why I'm considering Engineering Systems Maintenance - I was just hoping someone might have some feedback on this course - it looks good to me but a second opinion is always good!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

Hey guys I actually had a question about both courses the OP mentioned.

I'm currently living in Australia working as a electrical trade assistant, in Ireland I was an electrical apprentice and I'm waiting for FAS to sign off my electrical apprenticeship. I should have my certificate soon though.

I was thinking of returning to Ireland to study Electrical Engineering DT021 or Electrical Services DT010. Id prefer to do the former as I'm told (like the above posters mentioned) that it is a more relevant qualification to have these days. If I were to study this course I had hoped to enter into 2nd year through a direct entry application. I know this is possible as I checked last year.

My question is how hard is the course?! When I went to DIT to study for phase 4 and 6 of my apprenticeship the lecturer's always stressed that you could manage the above course's if you found the electrical science exams handy. I was always a little skeptical and felt they my just be trying to get guys to enroll to help the college. I enjoyed both phase's and even though I would not be the best at math's I knuckled down and had no problem passing any exam during my apprenticeship.

I'm eager to return to higher educations as I dropped out the first time when I was 17, I feel I'm more mature now (25 by the time the course would start) and would take it more seriously this time around but dont want to waste another year (plus the fee's!) on a course that's beyond me!

Obviously you cant speak for me but any general advice you could give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much.

DT010 even if you weren't the best at electrical science you will manage just fine if you put the wok in. The material covered is in a similar area to phase 6 with more relevant stuff added in. As you are a electrician you will seen and worked with most of the stuff that is covered.
    Regards the maths like I said if you are prepared to put the work in it won't be a problem, there is a maths support centre you can drop into if you are stuck. mathematics: matrices, complex numbers, simultaneous linear equations, differentiation and integration.

DT021 from doing the bridging modules I can tell you there is a big increase in the level of mathematics compared to DT010 and signals and systems is a very technical area which is once again very heavy with maths. Mathematics: matrices, complex numbers and simultaneous linear equations in greater dept, Fourier transforms, Laplace and inverse Laplace transforms, z transforms an inverse z transforms.

DT010 skip first year, start in second year= 2 years total ordinary degree
    DT021 complete third year in DT010, and start in third year of DT021 the following year= 4 years total. honours degree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

basically what pie face said!
    i was an electrician and now im currently doing the final year of electrical services engineering and have taken on the bridging modules to go onto DT021! Mate my advise would be to go and do the DT010 you will be able for it if you had no problem with your exams, and then when your in third year decide if you think your capable of the DT021 if not then at least you have the elec serv degree behind you! if you do decide to go for the DT021 after DT010 you will go into the third year of it so you wont have lost any time!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lightening strike1

Did you give engineering systems maintenance a thought? If you are already electrically trained then why not give a course like this a chance to give you an understanding of the mechanical side of things. This is the way maintenance is going nowadays - they want someone who can cover both.

Na I never considered the maintanence end. I was always interested in electrical eng. It's such a vast technical area the stuff you can learn/do is immense and i find it really interesting. The maintenance side of things I wouldn't find interesting. Perhaps if yoi get in get touch with the college they can put you in contact with current students.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

Thank for the advice lads, I think ill give DT010 a go with the hope of doing DT021 if I feel im capble of it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thank for the advice lads, I think ill give DT010 a go with the hope of doing DT021 if I feel im capble of it.

I think you would find that DT009 would be preferable if you intended entering 3rd year of DT021. This is because DT009 has far more focus on maths, and also covers very relevant subjects for DT021 students such as signals and systems, control theory, analog, digital and power electronics.It would be an idea for you to look at DT009, DT010 and DT021 course syllabus.

Much of the content of DT010 although very beneficial will not align as well with DT021.

I think it would be best to go to the DIT Open Day, talk to the DT021 lectures and follow their advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

I did advanced entry into second year of DT009 after phase 4 and the plan is to gain advanced entry into 3rd year of DT021 after I complete this as that's what everyone seems to recommend.

DT009 is hard and has lot of hours and work involved but it's manageable as long as you stay on top of it.

I think you would find that DT009 would be preferable if you intended entering 3rd year of DT021. This is because DT009 has far more focus on maths, and also covers very relevant subjects for DT021 students such as signals and systems, control theory, analog, digital and power electronics.It would be an idea for you to look at DT009, DT010 and DT021 course syllabus.

Much of the content of DT010 although very beneficial will not align as well with DT021.

I think it would be best to go to the DIT Open Day, talk to the DT021 lectures and follow their advice.

+1

You definitely make the transition easier coming from DT009, im doing the bridging modules at the moment from DT010, the lads in DT009 who's class we are in have all done the some of maths we are doing last year (year 2) so they are a bit ahead with the same going for signals & systems/matlab. DT010 is fine but you will have to put a bit more work in to make the transition compared to coming from DT009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tullinahoo

any idea what will be on 2nd year exams this year

Advertisement