Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offaly Mental Health TALK Week

Options
  • 10-09-2011 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All,

Currently in Co.Offaly there is a huge campaign entitled OMHTW ‘Offaly Mental Health Talk Week’. Those of you driving through the county may have noticed the black and white posters with the words in big writing:

SUICIDES
    IN OFFALY
    HOW MANY MORE?
    WE NEED TO TALK
    ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH

This is the most significant suicide and mental health awareness campaign ever to take place in the county. Basically, a group of people got together with an aim to join ‘ALL’ organisations that were individually trying to combat issues around suicide and mental illness. The message on the poster campaign is loud and clear with a view to encourage everyone to ‘TALK’ about their mental health and to remove the stigma associated with mental illness and suicide.

I am one the many hundreds of people bereaved by suicide in this county and for the first time I am beginning to see a real change. Everyone is talking about this campaign and helping out in the events in some way or other. It’s amazing to see such community spirit.

The weeklong campaign of events starting this coming Monday will include talks on mental health, illness, suicide prevention, bereavement and workshops on wellbeing and will take place in varies towns across Offaly. The events are for everyone to attend and are free. For more information check out the website www.omhtw.ie or facebook pages

Offaly Mental Health TALK Week
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Offaly-Mental-Health-Talk-Week/139815309444158

Free Family Fun day
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=245955925442722

Please support by attending the events or just helping to spread the word.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Unfortunately I'm only seeing this now. I really should check out the Offaly forum more frequently, but I would just like to say that I think its a great effort that has been made, and its long overdue that suicides in Rural areas, like Offaly gets talked about more. Deaths on our roads gets massive press exposure yet suicide kills more people per year. Initiatives like this are vitally important, because they create awareness of a problem thats is far too often treated as a taboo subject and brushed under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bennz

Well done. A broken spirit is as painful as a broken body.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

I also missed this posting until now, but it's a fantastic idea. Hope it went well.

Advertisement