Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Scotland a racist country?

• 10-09-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

I know this will be a touchy, possibly controversial question, but is Scotland a racist country?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14732110

Following the disgraceful trial on the attack seen live on TV on Neil Lennon, there's has got to be huge doubts on the Scottish legal system. The question also has to be asked, is Scotland a racist country?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Nothing to do with racism. Just the bigotry and sectarianism thats been present in some parts of scotish football for years between teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

It's been part of football alright but for the legal system to clear a man for assault, a charge he and his legal team accepted, was ridiculous. I'm not sure if you saw the video clip in the link, the legal system has lost a lot of credibility there. It's for that reason I ask, are they racist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its nothing to do with race though, if one party was black, asian, etc, then you could argue racism, but this assult was based on religion, which has nothing to do wath racism. As far as this case was concerned, there was only one race involved, a white man, attacking another white man.

As another example, some Scotish hate the English, and some of them just like to jest or take the mick out of them, but even that you would not call racism.

So no, I dont think the Scotish are racist, either based on this incident, the case, or their relationship with the English generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I'm not sure this is trolling or a genuine but poorly articulated query on an already contraversial subject. Either way I'm locking this thread as I don't find it suitable for a regional forum.

If it's a genuine query, Humanities may be a better place for a debate on prejudices in a national context (however, the Mods there may likewise decide it's unsuitable). Alternatively, you can PM me to discuss my Mod decision.

Many thanks,
    Jack

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement