Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ascertaining Etiquette for a new forum

Options
  • 10-09-2011 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

I am a relatively infrequent poster, who has, by my own admission, put my foot in it in the past when posting. Since this rocky start I make it a rule to read and (as best I can) comply with posting guidelines. I have recently been considering posting in tLL so that the forum may be kept abreast of my worldview. I am aware that this can be a bit of a minefield and that many of the regulars there are quite touchy about the kind of poster that contributes.

So as to head off any potential fireworks I put out a thread out on AH looking for guidance. I wished to be advised, from more experienced boardsies than myself, as to what is appropriate/inappropriate in tLL. I asked that AHers relate what they have found in their experience posting there, and how they thought I should approach tLL's various topics/threads. Before I could get any helpful insight (apart from one poster saying tLL is a protected species) I found the thread locked. I then found that it has been deleted completely. I wasn't notified as to why this happened by any moderator*.

Speaking candidly, this over-arching protectiveness of tLL reeks of the worst kind of male chauvinism. I would have more than welcomed a bit of direction from tLLers who also post in AH. But apparently "the ladies" (in the view of some male moderators) aren't able to defend themselves. I can't believe some men still think this way in the 21st century...:rolleyes:.

How is a newbie to a forum meant to ascertain the requisite etiquette with this kind of behaviour from our moderating betters?

* Received a PM while drafting this post. Permanently banned from AH for "trolling".
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Can you explain your rationale why you asked a question in one forum, about the procedures & process of another forum?
    This doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

keanooo wrote: »
    So as to head off any potential fireworks I put out a thread out on AH looking for guidance. I wished to be advised, from more experienced boardsies than myself, as to what is appropriate/inappropriate in tLL.

Well there's your problem straight away. Most people would lurk in a forum, get a feel for what is/is not acceptable and then ease themselves in.
    Speaking candidly, this over-arching protectiveness of tLL reeks of the worst kind of male chauvinism. I would have more than welcomed a bit of direction from tLLers who also post in AH. But apparently "the ladies" (in the view of some male moderators) aren't able to defend themselves. I can't believe some men still think this way in the 21st century...:rolleyes:.

Male chauvinism? Yes, that's what it is.
    * Received a PM while drafting this post. Permanently banned from AH for "trolling".

So, AH mods see through you, tGC mods see through you and I am donning my x-ray specs as we speak.

The bottom line if you don't like the way a forum is run, stay out of it.

And no, this is not turning into another tLL bashing thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Cicero wrote: »
    Can you explain your rationale why you asked a question in one forum, about the procedures & process of another forum?
    This doesn't make sense to me.

I am fundamentally against the idea of men posting in tLL and, all things being equal, I would leave it that way. But, as far as I can make out the place has really lost it's way and is removed from it's original intent; whether it be the preponderance of male contributions, the use of the place as a photo gallery to ply your wares or the thinly-veiled bragging about breast size. I think the place requires an injection of sane contributions. But I'm still unsure if it's the right thing to do.

I posted in AH, because it has a wide readership and I was fairly certain (absent a lock) of getting a wide diversity of opinion on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Well there's your problem straight away. Most people would lurk in a forum, get a feel for what is/is not acceptable and then ease themselves in.

Male chauvinism? Yes, that's what it is.

So, AH mods see through you, tGC mods see through you and I am donning my x-ray specs as we speak.

The bottom line if you don't like the way a forum is run, stay out of it.

And no, this is not turning into another tLL bashing thread.

Fair point on the lurking Tom, but that tGC ban was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think I've read enough.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement