Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay Trading assisant

Options
  • 10-09-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi,

I need a little bit of advice...

I am starting up a EBAY DROP OFF POINT in Kerry (the first in Kerry ;-) ) and I have also already a Website
    www.sold4you.yolasite.com

My problem is really the fees - as I never did a thing like that before!

How do I calculate the fees for clients when I sell and buy for them?
    I need really advice around that as the interest seems really ok :D

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Build or get someone to build a proper website using your own url.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Yeah the site very bad i was reading services as you read it it disappears
    how to you plan to make money on this as ebay fees are a complete rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kerryspirit

Well I did not post this question to get negative remarks!!
    My website is NOT finished yet and it is NOT BAD - and I will have my own URL soon!

But if you can not help me with my actual question then it is better not to reply at all!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

It's more constructive criticism and tbh, it's warranted in this case. That website certainly wouldn't inspire any confidence in me if I was to avail of your services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Give the guy a break, nothing but negativity around this forum, i think its a original idea and wish you the best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Sorry but that site is not great at all. I am not trying to be snide or give you a hard time but you have to accept any and all feedback or you will never know how to improve.

I do not like the flash at all, it is very slow to show the information and I think you would be better off with a simple html page.

The background image is very distractign too and takes your eye from the actual content.

The images at the top are of poor quality also.

To be bluntly honest there is no way I would give my business to your site the way it is now.

It's a good idea. Keep at it and if you find you can't get the site just right I am sure you will find help across the net.

Also, if you did not want feedback on your site, you should not have posted it. You did not need to post it to ask the questions you need answered.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

My website is NOT finished yet and it is NOT BAD - and I will have my own URL soon!

But if you can not help me with my actual question then it is better not to reply at all!

Thanks

You posted the url to the site so you were bound to get feedback on it, if you cant take constructive criticism then you will find running a business tough going.

As a web designer I can tell you for a fact the site IS bad. Its using flash all over the place, the images are pixelated and degraded, the services page changes before I even get to read the first paragraph, you are promoting it as a Kerry/Irish business yet have a big picture of America as the background image and thats from glancing at it for 2 minutes.

Constructive criticism does not equal negativity and in the long run will only help your business if you take it on board. You are providing a service to the general public and you are getting feedback from the general public right here (ie your potential customers) if you are going to ignore that then you are just going with your own perceptions of your business and the idea and using your heart over your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Mod edit: comment deleted..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Lets be honest its not a good business model ..

Can we break down the numbers to start with /.. ?
    Just for you to break even.. to employ yourself /.

400 per week x ?? 10 euro an hour 40 hour week ?
    100 per week for rent ..
    10 for broadband
    +20% profit

How many items to u suspect you need to sell to make a rough average of 600 a week ?

An average of €20 per with a modest €4 profit margin 20% ??items ?? you would need to sell an approximate 150 items per week or 30 items per day which is approx over 8 hour day 3.5 which is roughly rounded up to 4 items per hour

To package receive upload images,edit descriptions of every item would be a maximum of 15 minute per item.. This incluldes answering all questions with ebay, NOT getting your account banned (paypal) for second a poor quality item..

This just isnt workable .. you need to move to the phillapines...

Im not trying to be a wet blanket but its not something i think, having dealt with ebay crap for years is even worthwhile any more.
    You need to do a bit more research on what ebay items even make 20% profit margin these days.. there a few and far between that are not saturated.
    Also the fact the irish market is crap, the moneys in the uk..
    UK buyers will not, most of the time deal with irish people because of the added postage, time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

You didnt want any feedback other than the original question but in case anybody else does....

Why use you?
    - Ebay buyers prefer to buy of a trusted established seller. We have a high ebay rating, and are shown to be established for X years.
    - Save Money & Avoid the hassle of postage and packing. We purchase the packaging materials and have experience in safely packaging items.
    - Through our delivery partners / providers we can provide quick, safe delivery via the most economical method. Many customers can save over 50% by utilising our courier service vs An Post Registered Post.

(above 50% being based on a small 1.5kg parcel being €16.10 Express Post signed for, vs around €7.50 with a courier).

As for your website... take the advice above...

Fees - Consider the value added - Will you only charge people for stuff that sells? Will you absorb the cost of unsold items? Id probably suggest a "minimum fee" which includes the ebay fees (I dunno maybe €1 for items starting under €20) + X% of selling price (which will need to include Ebay and Paypals cuts -) + postage fee.

So for an item that starts for €1, and sells for €25 and courier costs €7.5

Sells at €25
    less
    Postage €7.5
    Ebay fees (circa 10%) 2.50 approx
    Paypal €1

Balance €14

Your fees:
    Listing Fee €1
    10% of item: €2.5

Balance for Seller: €10.50
    For you €3.50.

For smaller items you could offer a "bulk listing" style arrangement - e.g.
    €5 for listing 5 - 20 of the same item, etc.

And perhaps a flat fee house clearout listing rate:
    e.g. €25 to list all your old junk (and have terms and conditions to ensure it doesnt cost you more than that to list them, e.g. low starting value, maximum items, no reserve prices. So you charge €25 to list + you charge customer ebay final value fees, your fee and postage for each item sold.
    The €25 would allow you to list a lot of items.....

Only you will know what will work for your business, so get an excel spreadsheet and start playing around with varous sums until you work out a realistic fee structure, that based on your projected sales would actually work.
    Just suggestions....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Thanks

You say it is NOT BAD? I was,nt giving you negative remarks i was just saying how your website is! but then again some folk say black is white!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

yes your website isnt bad .. its ****ing terribad..

The answer to youre question has been answered above.. read between the lines. And we have given extra advice on a **** business you saw in the 40 old virgin.. Get over yourself and give it up..
    It doesnt work, wont work and never will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Hi,

I need a little bit of advice...

I am starting up a EBAY DROP OFF POINT in Kerry (the first in Kerry ;-) ) and I have also already a Website
    www.sold4you.yolasite.com

My problem is really the fees - as I never did a thing like that before!

How do I calculate the fees for clients when I sell and buy for them?
    I need really advice around that as the interest seems really ok :D

Thanks!

But your website says you have years of experience in the Ebay business and know all the tricks and scams????:confused:

Advertisement