Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Anonymous" text with names: scam?

Options
  • 10-09-2011 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

I have my car for sale on Carzone and last week I received a text from not a number as texts from somebody outside my phonebook names would usually be but from a text which came in with a name - "Louis".

I definitely have nobody with that name in my phonebook so how did somebody manage to send me a text which came in with a name rather than with a number? That's the first question

He asked me to email, not text, him back details of my car and he gave me his email address. I of course didn't email him back but text him the details. I haven't heard from him since. My second question is, therefore, what could this guy be up to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I suspect Skype allows you do this, send a text with the username instead of a number.

Advertisement