Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to state if your business does not accept cards?

Options
  • 10-09-2011 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

New so not sure if I am posting in the right section (excuse me If I have not).:o

I was wondering if your business does not accept any payment but cash do you need to put a sign up saying this?

I never see any signs saying so the only type I have seen is no store credit given.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

You dont HAVE to, but its best if you do put up a sign saying cash only as it avoids akward situations when the customer tries to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

No you dont. Although, its a good idea to display one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Businesses usually put up a sign if they do take cards. Usually visible on entrance door and at till. If I don't see a sign I presume they don't take cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Rafor wrote: »
    New so not sure if I am posting in the right section (excuse me If I have not).:o

I was wondering if your business does not accept any payment but cash do you need to put a sign up saying this?

I never see any signs saying so the only type I have seen is no store credit given.
    Cash is the only legal tender so a business doesn't have to accept ANYTHING else. In fact a business doesn't have to accept cash either except in the repayment of a debt and then that is restricted to a maximum of 50 coins.

So to answer your questions - no they dont have to have a sign as the default is cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Depends on the type of business and whether similar business accept cards or not.

Newsagents, takeaways, barbers, discount shops and other places where the average sale will be under €10, wouldn't be expected to take cards.

Furniture, clothing, restaurants, hardware stores, garden centres, hair salons (diff to barbers) where average sale would be €20+++ would eb expected to take cards.

If you fall under scenario 1 - then no notice is needed
    If you fall under scenario 2, then it is in your interest to put up a notice so that customers are not surprised at the till

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

maxer68 wrote: »
    Depends on the type of business and whether similar business accept cards or not.

Newsagents, takeaways, barbers, discount shops and other places where the average sale will be under €10, wouldn't be expected to take cards.

Furniture, clothing, restaurants, hardware stores, garden centres, hair salons (diff to barbers) where average sale would be €20+++ would eb expected to take cards.

If you fall under scenario 1 - then no notice is needed
    If you fall under scenario 2, then it is in your interest to put up a notice so that customers are not surprised at the till

The question was if businesses have to state that they only accept cash, and the answer (irrespective of value of goods) is NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

The question was if businesses have to state that they only accept cash, and the answer (irrespective of value of goods) is NO.

The question was does the business "NEED" to have a sign up. In terms of customer service and good business practice, it would be best to have the sign up if the norm for your type of business is to accept cards.

If you don't have a sign up, then you get a lot of pissed off customers who will then go somewhere else.

Leagally speaking - there is no requirement for the sign, but IMO, if scenario 2 applies, it certainly is NEEDED.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

maxer68 wrote: »
    The question was does the business "NEED" to have a sign up. In terms of customer service and good business practice, it would be best to have the sign up if the norm for your type of business is to accept cards.

If you don't have a sign up, then you get a lot of pissed off customers who will then go somewhere else.

Leagally speaking - there is no requirement for the sign, but IMO, if scenario 2 applies, it certainly is NEEDED.

Completely agree. In this day and age if a business doesn't accept any form of payment by card then it should have a sign up which clearly states that they only accept cash.

Advertisement