Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Appliances: Electrolux vs Bosch

Options
  • 10-09-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently looking around for electrical appliances to fit out a kitchen in a new build and I'm looking for advice on appliances.

For the double eye level oven and induction hob I'm trying to decide between Electrolux and Bosch at the minute. Haven't heard much about Electrolux but the guy in the store is really pushing it over the Bosch.

Also for american fridge freezers does anyone have any advice. Looking at a Beko at the minute and also a whirlpool. Heard good and bad about both Samsung and Whirlpool.

Is there any way to rank brands in terms of quality?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Go for Bosch. They are part of same group as Neff and Siemens. 2 year guarantee with them 2. Go for Samsung. I had a whirlpool. V hard to get them out to get fixed. got rid of it eventually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Go for the Bosch.

Which Beko fridge is it? If it's the one without the water and ice that's a fantastic fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

id recomend bosch, they are a better quaility appliance. however they will cost you. electrolux are a very good appliance. Google model numbers and get the best price you can whatever you decide. From Cork to Wicklow even places in the north will deliver to the south. Bounce around with prices, there are some great prices to be got doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paulztag

Thanks for the replies.

Its the Beko with the plumbed water and ice.

Very mixed reviews out there on American fridge freezers, some say go with Samsung and don't touch Whirlpool and then other reviews are the complete opposite so I don't know which to go for. If I buy in the local shop the guy for fixing the Beko and Whirlpool under warranty only lives about 10minutes away from me which is pushing me towards 1 of them. The difference in the price then is €300 but in the long run that's not much if the Whirlpool was going to be that much better.

The Bosch hob and double oven is about €200 dearer than the Electrolux and but the Electrolux comes with a 5 year parts warranty. I know Bosch has the 2 year warranty but I would hope that with a new appliance I would get at least 2 years with no problems...Hopefully..

A five year part warranty on a hob isn't necessarily a bonus,there's not too many parts to it to replace if you get me.

Those Beko ones are fairly new on the market,hard to judge their quality yet. To be honest I think the LG ones are the best

• Advertisement

Have to say parts warranty not worth a whole lot. Labour is the important one. 80euro plus usually to get it fixed out of warranty.

Thanks again for the reply. Ya I know what you mean on the hob and I'm not convinced on the Beko yet. Will also look into the LG, Thanks.

Everywhere I look I see people recommending different models. In one place I see people saying don't touch Samsung and go with Whirlpool and then the next place I look I see the complete opposite. Why does there have to be so much choice.. Things would be so much easier if only a few to choose from :)

I see in the bargain alerts did electrical have 20% off today. Might b worth a look if you are near one

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

paulztag wrote: »
    Haven't heard much about Electrolux but the guy in the store is really pushing it over the Bosch.

That's because he will make more commission on the Electrolux or the store is up for a prize if they have the best Electrolux sales in Dublin or Leinster or whatever.

No salesman worth his salt is recommending a specific brand because he thinks it's better than the competition, he is thinking about his commission and nothing else.
    Everywhere I look I see people recommending different models. In one place I see people saying don't touch Samsung and go with Whirlpool and then the next place I look I see the complete opposite. Why does there have to be so much choice.. Things would be so much easier if only a few to choose from :)

Tyre salesmen are probably the worst at this tactic - rubbishing the opposition but almost every salesman is liable to do it. It can often turn off the customer since people generally don't like hearing negative stuff from a salesman but there are lots of salespeople who know fcuk all about what they are selling so it's easier to just rubbish the opposition as an indirect method of promoting the brand they want you to buy.

Do your own research, decide what brand you want and then go and get the best price you can, don't listen to brand recommendations from salespeople.

Hi coylemj,

Ya I see where your coming from when you say about sales people sometimes not knowing anything about the products they are selling, have had that experience with laptops.

From all the research I've done its generally customer reviews where some say dont touch samsung and other whirlpool. Found an LG fridge now and most reviews for LG seem fairly positive

• Advertisement

Coyle I was a salesman and I'll tell anyone Bosch is a better quality product. I'd often recommend a cheaper product if I think it's better. Not every salesman is an out and out liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Alexduthie

Samsung are the ones to beat in terms of American fridge freezers, they really are the quality manufacturers in that field.
    As for Electrolux V. Bosch I'd personally go for bosch, the build quality is second to none, with most new appliances lasting a shorter period that older ones, bosch has really the exception in the "don't make them like they used to" rule.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I would strongly disagree on the comment regarding Samsung being the one to beat for American style fridge. They are widely known to have serious issues for several years now, and the backup service is not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Alexduthie

fmul9798 wrote: »
    I would strongly disagree on the comment regarding Samsung being the one to beat for American style fridge. They are widely known to have serious issues for several years now, and the backup service is not there.

Whilst this may be the case with the older generations of samsung, the new ones, and especially the G series that is going to be released shortly, do not/will not have the same issues. I've not heard anything about the backup service, but most large companies seem to have terrible service these days, so it wouldn't be a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

definately Bosch i have all Bosch appliances and they are brilliant . i dont even have to rinse the dishes before loading the dishwasher and the fridge doesnt make a sound ,frigde was expensive 1,200 euro but well worth the investment

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Stay away from Whirlpool - they sell based on the Philips name but we had issues with two out of the three appliances we got some years back within 6 months of buying them.

Bosch is the leader in terms of reliability, BUT, personally I find their appliances often look gammy and not as aesthetic as say Whirlpool ones.

No moving parts in cooker appliances so the only thing usually that goes is the element and that's going to happen with all makes.

Make sure that whatever fridge yoke you go for is 1) energy efficient and 2) not too noisy if it's going to be located in a kitchen. We have a Zanussi F/F which has been noisy as hell from day 1 (i.e. normal). Should be a dB rating given somewhere when you're shopping for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Coyle I was a salesman and I'll tell anyone Bosch is a better quality product. I'd often recommend a cheaper product if I think it's better. Not every salesman is an out and out liar.

IMO, Bosch were better quality, but for some years now they have been assembled in Eastern Europe and i for one have noticed the decline in build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 NugentFergal

Hi,

I'm currently looking around for electrical appliances to fit out a kitchen in a new build and I'm looking for advice on appliances.

For the double eye level oven and induction hob I'm trying to decide between Electrolux and Bosch at the minute. Haven't heard much about Electrolux but the guy in the store is really pushing it over the Bosch.

Also for american fridge freezers does anyone have any advice. Looking at a Beko at the minute and also a whirlpool. Heard good and bad about both Samsung and Whirlpool.

Is there any way to rank brands in terms of quality?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

@ Paulztag - I'd be keen to know which oven you went for in the end? My Partner and I were in a store in a large appliance store in D15 today all set to go ahead with a Bosch double oven until we had a really good (and hopefully honest!) salesman outline why he would go with a Electrolux over the specific Bosch oven. When we asked why, he was comfortably able to demonstrate a number of additional features on the Electrolux which weren't included on the Bosch. I'd be interested to see how you got on with your decision or if there is anyone else out there who has purchased an Electrolux oven and can speak from experience as to what they are like to use?

Many thanks,

Fergal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

NF when you are looking again at ovens ask especially to see the Siemens version, from reading through the posts people seem to think the products are the same, not so, same group alright, take a bosch sms40 dishwasher against a bosch sms 50 dw one is made in Poland the other in Spain, the price difference should indicate the difference in quality, the product with made in Germany stamped on it will be the top end

• Registered Users Posts: 22 NugentFergal

NF when you are looking again at ovens ask especially to see the Siemens version, from reading through the posts people seem to think the products are the same, not so, same group alright, take a bosch sms40 dishwasher against a bosch sms 50 dw one is made in Poland the other in Spain, the price difference should indicate the difference in quality, the product with made in Germany stamped on it will be the top end

Hi, RA. Thanks for the reply. Will definitely check out where each oven is actually manufactured when I'm back in there as I hadn't thought of this. Cheers

Fergal

• Advertisement
Advertisement