Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need 500 points! Any help appreciated.

• 10-09-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hey everyone, my first post here, and I'm in 6th year, going into my 3rd week. :)
    I need 500 points for my course and I'm at a loss because I don't think I can get that much with the subjects I have.
    I do the following:
    English (H)
    Irish (O)
    Maths (O)
    Geography (H)
    Home Economics (H)
    Biology (H)
    Business (H)

I would consider Home Economics, Maths and Biology to be my top subjects.
    Any help on how to get the points I need? I calculated the points/grades I predict myself to get and I only come to 450, and I have tried to move to honours Maths and Irish but my school won't allow it as they think it's too late to move and I'll not get the course covered enough.

Any help is greatly appeciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 prendizzle

Take up another honours subject- definitely. My advice would be to look at the percentage of As for each subject and then decide. For example, my friend was a whizz at Tech Graph and learned the business book inside out, but got Bs in both of them, although he would have been considered an A1 candidate in both subjects.

People take up subjects in one year and get As in them- depending on where their skills lie. See if you can get notes off a grind school and familiarise yourself with marking schemes as soon as possible. Maybe look at Economics? I hear there are 4 long questions and a few short questions, another friend of mine got a B1 after a year doing it by himself.

And remember, even if you don't end up with over 500 points, don't worry. There are backdoors into every course these days! People who were savagely disappointed on results day are the ones smiling now, even if they're doing level6/7s or going abroad, at least they know they have their courses in the long term! :)

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 NickB1337

If you say maths is one of your top subjects why dont you move up to higher level especially if you can get bonus points for doing higher level now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Defo do Higher maths, you get the points even for a D...or Irish if your oral is good as is not 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Manic2 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, my first post here, and I'm in 6th year, going into my 3rd week. :)
    I need 500 points for my course and I'm at a loss because I don't think I can get that much with the subjects I have.
    I do the following:
    English (H)
    Irish (O)
    Maths (O)
    Geography (H)
    Home Economics (H)
    Biology (H)
    Business (H)

I would consider Home Economics, Maths and Biology to be my top subjects.
    Any help on how to get the points I need? I calculated the points/grades I predict myself to get and I only come to 450, and I have tried to move to honours Maths and Irish but my school won't allow it as they think it's too late to move and I'll not get the course covered enough.

Any help is greatly appeciated.
    Thank you.
    Well, the maximum you can get already is 560. My advice would be to work hard on your HL subjects, if you get 3 A2s in HL subjects (biology and business, perhaps - no reason you shouldn't get an A1 in any of them actually with plenty of work, it's mostly just learning), 2 HL B1s, and an A1 in a pass subject (perhaps pass Irish) you'll have 500.

Quite a bit of work to do for sure, but there's no easy way to get 500. The two pass subjects mean you have to work harder (and you will have more time to do so) in your HL subjects! If your course of choice is science/engineering/technology/agriculture related and it's 500 this year - I'd be conscious that it may very well rise in points next year, so you might want to aim for a bit above 500 (if you haven't already accounted for this).

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Thanks to you both for replying! :)
    I tried to ask to move to both honours Irish and Maths but the school wouldn't allow it, they said I would be too far behind and too much of the course was already covered so that was a no go.

I had considered taking up a second subject, I was in 2 minds between Ag Science and Economics but I was doubting the fact I could teach them to myself, and my school doesn't offer Ag Science so I couldn't get help from teachers.

Yeah I hope that with the right amount of work I can achieve the 500, but I am definately considering the option on Ag Science or Economics.

Thank you. :)

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    Well, the maximum you can get already is 560. My advice would be to work hard on your HL subjects, if you get 3 A2s in HL subjects (biology and business, perhaps - no reason you shouldn't get an A1 in any of them actually with plenty of work, it's mostly just learning), 2 HL B1s, and an A1 in a pass subject (perhaps pass Irish) you'll have 500.

Quite a bit of work to do for sure, but there's no easy way to get 500. The two pass subjects mean you have to work harder (and you will have more time to do so) in your HL subjects! If your course of choice is science/engineering/technology/agriculture related and it's 500 this year - I'd be conscious that it may very well rise in points next year, so you might want to aim for a bit above 500 (if you haven't already accounted for this).

Yes science/maths is the direction my course is in and I hadn't accounted for points rise because of the extra honours points. So 525 I suppose :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yes science/maths is the direction my course is in and I hadn't accounted for points rise because of the extra honours points. So 525 I suppose :/
    Well be confident that you can do it if you put in the work or you'll have lost the first battle. The course might rise significantly, but it also may not. Although it'd be naive to say it wouldn't rise imo. Biology, business and geography (with a good project) are all just learning and an A-grade is possible for anyone who's literate and willing to do the work. If you've any problems, there's plenty of resources on the internet explaining pretty much everything.

Best of luck with it! :)

Thanks for all the advice! :)

Ok, so I'm seriously considering taking up Economics then, just to make up for points.
    I know there are probably 1000's of threads about this, but honestly and realistically, can I start Economics now, and pull out a fairly decent grade in it? I'm not taking about A's, but maybe high C's or low B's?

Thank you all again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks to you both for replying! :)
    I tried to ask to move to both honours Irish and Maths but the school wouldn't allow it, they said I would be too far behind and too much of the course was already covered so that was a no go.

I had considered taking up a second subject, I was in 2 minds between Ag Science and Economics but I was doubting the fact I could teach them to myself, and my school doesn't offer Ag Science so I couldn't get help from teachers.

Yeah I hope that with the right amount of work I can achieve the 500, but I am definately considering the option on Ag Science or Economics.

Thank you. :)

You cannot do Ag Science by yourself. There is a 25% project which has to be done under the supervision of a teacher who grades the project.

If you are taking up new subjects, pick subjects you like and are willing to work at. Looking at the statistics for the number of As given out in a subject will tell you nothing. If 50% of all of the grades in Chemistry were A grades it doesn't mean you are guaranteed an A.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stressedleaver

my friend done pass maths for her junior cert and got a b2 in honours leaving! if u could get grinds and work as hard as possible and just take the honours paper on the day? 25 extra is a big bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

hi
    i am available to give irish grinds.
    i have excellent references.
    i have very competitive rates,

15 euro an hour
    10 euro if you recommend a friend
    and a lesson free if they have two lessons

lesson bundles also available
    i am available to give grinds in the ballyfermot,clondalkin,inchichore crumlin,walkinstown and city centre

There's a grinds thread in the main forum

Advertisement