Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy in UCC

• 10-09-2011 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi guys!

I'm an incoming first year Pharmacy student; delighted with the course, but a little scared of what it might hold!

Therefore, I'm just gonna ramble on for a bit; ask a few questions, a few of the things that I've been worrying about. I hope that I'll find a few pharmacy students who can give me advice and a little re-assurance!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Louise :)

I've been mainly wondering about books. Will I need to get many books? Can I buy them second-hand or is it essential to have the new editions? Are there many copies of the books available in the library? Where will I get the books I need? How much will it cost?

Aside from pen and paper in the lectures, is there anything else I should have? I have my iPod which can take high quality voice memos, will I be allowed to record the lectures? Do you think I need a laptop?

Do all lectures go up on blackboard? Are the lecturers themselves nice?

Is there anything you think I should know as a first year, about anything? Even if its not remotely related to pharmacy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Louise, re books: there is information in the handbook you received in the post. I don't think this needs be a big worry for you.

Otherwise, dare I say, you seem to have a perfectly normal dose of the jitters as you face into a new phase of your life. I think that in a month's time you will have a completely new view of the situation.

By the way, my son is also starting pharmacy in ucc.

Best of luck, have a good time there and enjoy yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

I would'nt start recording any lecturers unless they give you permission to! Especially the pharmacy lecturers! Just some advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 EskimoErased

I got through the first three years just buying two books.

One of which (Fox's Physiology) was alright, but I wouldn't bother buying it new - ask around the other years and you'll find someone looking to offload it.

The other one is Rang & Dale Pharmacology. Buy this. Seriously, it's useful in the first two years, but you almost have to have it for third year.

[Guyton & Hall Physiology is useful for second year, but only a few chapters of it.]

Apart from that, the only other thing you need to know before going in is to never be late for a Pharmacy Practice lecture if you like having a head attached at the neck. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LouiseOD

Thanks everyone! Some great advice! Nerves have calmed a little, I'm sure you'll be glad to hear! Looking forward to starting now, although if anyone has anymore advice it would be really welcome! :)

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

I'm not doing pharmacy myself but i was told by someone in admissions recently that you have to wear office style clothes once a week in your course for pharmacy practice!!

also have a look for your books on amazon.ie, before you pay out a fortune (even the second hand ones in the SU are fairly pricey!)- i got one for a penny last year :)

Good luck tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

tammyme wrote: »
    I'm not doing pharmacy myself but i was told by someone in admissions recently that you have to wear office style clothes once a week in your course for pharmacy practice!! QUOTE]

That is true but as pharmacy practice is lab based it is a bit odd!! In my year the dressing up kinda slipped but maybe they have reinforced it again. People used to bring clothes and just change for the lab

Advertisement