Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stocking a River

Options
  • 10-09-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,there is a small river near where I live and had a big problem with pollution but has since being cleaned up.The river has a few pools in it about 3 feet deep but mostly fast moving and has alot of overgrowing bushes in parts.There is alot of small brown trout in the river and I was woundering is there any other fish I could introduce that would not damage the trout population?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    Hi,there is a small river near where I live and had a big problem with pollution but has since being cleaned up.The river has a few pools in it about 3 feet deep but mostly fast moving and has alot of overgrowing bushes in parts.There is alot of small brown trout in the river and I was woundering is there any other fish I could introduce that would not damage the trout population?

In a word. No. A population of wild Brown Trout is too valuable to be diluted with anything.
    Instream enhancement could benefit the habitat but needs to be done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Dont....
    Just keep a close eye on the pollution and the stocks will sort themselves........
    Ilyushin76 wrote: »

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If it is a brown trout water it probably had sticklebacks. Possibly it had minnow and/or stoneloach.
    Have those also recovered?

To improve it look after the cover for larger fish, as they will move downstream if they get too big for safety on their pools.
    The best cover is undercut banks, deeps under rough water surface, instream sunk wood. Also look after the food sources for the fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Channels and Challenges by Dr Martin O Grady would be required reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Thanks for all the replies.
    coolwings wrote: »
    If it is a brown trout water it probably had sticklebacks. Possibly it had minnow and/or stoneloach.
    Have those also recovered?

To improve it look after the cover for larger fish, as they will move downstream if they get too big for safety on their pools.
    The best cover is undercut banks, deeps under rough water surface, instream sunk wood. Also look after the food sources for the fish.

Never seen any sticklebacks or minnows in the river.I fish the river and catch trout (a foot being the biggest) and a few years ago caught small eels.I bought an eel trap on ebay to see if there is other species and only caught trout in.Is there any other methods to check for the fish you mentioned?
    The river joins up to a bigger river closer to the sea which gets runs of salmon and white trout be never seen any of them in the river.
    Bizzum wrote: »
    Channels and Challenges by Dr Martin O Grady would be required reading.

Thanks will give it a read

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Also look for info on Englands "Wild trout Trust". They ave done some great stuff on river enhancement.

Advertisement