Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Raid - Indonesian action film

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Holy fook........ Looks awsome!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I sense traces of Hard Boiled there (which ain't a bad thing at all!). The action looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Looks class...

When's it due out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

On the basis of that trailer, went digging for info - film is directed by a Welsh guy by the name of Gareth Huw Evans! It's the second time he's teamed up with silat fighter Iko Uwais. Might have to check out their first collaboration, Merantau (2009).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Awesome, when is it out here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

According to IMDB, it played the Toronto film festival on the 8th September but will be released in Indonesia on the 19 January :/
    So I don't know!

I like this quote from a reviewer who saw it:
    The gun battles are more intense than the bank robbery scene in Michael Mann's Heat, the apartment hallway battles make the scene in Oldboy look like a Pixar film and the cops are as overmatched as U.S. Army Rangers were against an entire Somalian town Black Hawk Down.
    Ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Holy Testicle Tuesday! I'll be first at the cinema when it comes out!!! If it comes out...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My god, is that action film shot with long takes? Looks like Elite Squad but with martial arts and no social commentary.

Count me in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Totally with it until it mentioned music from Linkin Park. I don't want nu-metal playing over such kick-ass ass kicking!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Linkin Park - ugh! That's disappointing. However, it seems like it's being done mostly for the US release, so maybe we will be spared. If not, hopefully the DVD/Blu-ray will offer a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"Localising" soundtracks. Just another example of how many Americans really, really do not get "it".

Yeah, but the fact that they are re-doing the soundtrack suggests that at least they are going to release it. Usually when American studios see a good foreign film their first act is to buy the remake rights.

Anyway, according to Wikipedia, Sony is distributing this in the US and they are ones who requested a new soundtrack. Momentum is distributing it here and in the UK, so I'd say there's a good chance we'll get the original version of the soundtrack. Provided it actually gets a theatrical release here, of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that trailer looks... awesome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

IGN have released an exclusive clip from the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Totally with it until it mentioned music from Linkin Park. I don't want nu-metal playing over such kick-ass ass kicking!

I thought it was just a member of Linkin Park, Mike Shinoda, that's doing the soundtrack?

The music in the trailer suits the action IMO.

Where can I get a copy? Can it be imported or is there a release date coming up?

I get giddy just watching the trailer!!

It's still on the festival circuit and hasn't been given a general release anywhere yet. It's supposed to be released in the US and Indonesia at the end of March.

Just found out its showing at the Jameson Film Fest on Sat feb 24th. Dir Gareth Evans will be there too.

Def not missing this

• Advertisement

Anyone going to see this tomorrow??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Yep. I'm hoping for something that matches last year's 13 Assassins in its amount of sheer badassery. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Damn only reading about this now, so don't have time to get to the savoy :-(

Fingers crossed for no Linkin Park!

Unfortunately I won't get to see this today due to work. Hopefully it won't be long until it's released.

Oh and I see they changed the US title to The Raid: Redemption. Bizarre! Makes it sound like a sequel.

EDIT: the UK/Irish release is in May.

Insanely good. Biggest adrenaline rush of a cinema experience I've ever had. Brutal, funny and unrelenting. If this doesn't take the audience award Ill be amazed.

Just as johnny said above!!

This movie is relentless from the go.

I'm still buzzing from it!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

*grumble grumble* dublin *grumble* not fair *grumble* :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Thought it was pretty horrible myself. Probably the most sadistic audience I've ever been part of - they ruined the whole thing imo. Did anybody hang around for the Q&A afterward? Would be interested to know if the director is happy/pissed at people laughing so much.

• Advertisement

Renn wrote: »
    Thought it was pretty horrible myself. Probably the most sadistic audience I've ever been part of - they ruined the whole thing imo. Did anybody hang around for the Q&A afterward? Would be interested to know if the director is happy/pissed at people laughing so much.
    He was very pleased by the reaction (how could any director not be when the audience is responding in such an elated way?). Even got a standing ovation from much of the audience and fwiw he didn't even consider the film to be that extreme. I've seen much harsher just in the last year alone, the director was influenced by Takeshi Kitano and Takashi Miike and it's tame compared to some of their movies.

The dark humor in the film is very much intentional, shame the film didn't work for you. But surely you should have known how violent it'd be beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

It was an audience joining in, baying for blood, and having some great fun, it's not something i've come across in an irish cinema too often.
    It's a shame it affected your enjoyment of the film itself, which i felt was great. The action was amazingly well choreographed, and it seems sure to become somewhat of a cult hit. I knew zero about it going in, and it knocked the hangover out of me, that's for sure. It could well win the audience Award for JDIFF.
    The director seemed pretty chuffed with the audience reaction, and in fact mentioned that he was glad to watch it with an audience with a bit of a twisted side.

Yeah martial arts films are always played for dark laughs, think the tone was very well considered. It's a lot of talented people pulling off brilliant stunts. Nothing sadistic about it IMO. Could have done without some of the mid film applause, but definitely benefited from a good natured crowd. Really fun cinema experience - the rare film best enjoyed with a giddy crowd.

Looks class.
    Daniel Craig has the main character!!
    Or liam Neeson!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

e_e wrote: »
    how could any director not be when the audience is responding in such an elated way?

Well, it could still piss off a director. I've heard of that countless times - where a director basically thinks they've ****ed up because the audience is not reacting the way they had hoped they'd react. Of course they're allowed to have their own say on how they feel but it can still annoy a filmmaker.

As for the violence - sure I knew it was going to be violent. It just grew extremely tiresome and was not helped in any way by the majority of the audience. Let's just say I'm glad I didn't have to watch 13 Assassins with that crowd.

I think that the film would have been a failure IF the audience had not reacted in that way. It completely achieved what it set out to do and although the reactions wouldn't have been acceptable in every other film of the festival, it was more than appropriate here.

It's very visceral and the laughter and sounds of surprise were a welcome release of tension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Awesome experience this morning. Evans really seemed to be chuffed by the reaction of the audience, rather than put off in any way. It was like being in the colosseum, with a crowd baying for more ritual execution.

Let's just say I'm glad I didn't have to watch 13 Assassins with that crowd.

Very different films in fairness, despite both being loosely related by virtue of plentiful action.

I'd be the first to bemoan an irritating audience - with 90% of films, I'd be frustrated if someone so much as whispered to their neighbour. But some films just 'click' when it comes to group dynamics and become much more fun surrounded by tonnes of other people who are in a similar mood. It's when you know a majority of the audience 'gets' the film. I've only attended a handful of these screenings of films before - Rambo was the most recent, and we were laughing at that as much as with it. But this morning's screening was just so much fun: it's the rare film that entirely benefits from a group viewing. Evans seemed like a great guy too, definitely seemed appreciative of the response.

Actually almost impossible to tell how much of my enjoyment was influenced by a sort of group hysteria. As a film, though, I thought it was very sharply directed and brilliantly aware of its limitations. The film always had another fantastic setpiece or stunt waiting -
    even the final three way battle was a joy, and ended with that lightbulb bit. The guy jumping through the floor and then thrown out the window was a personal highlight.
    It was made for $1 million, which is astounding. I know costs are probably much lower in Indonesia, but for a three month shoot that looks and sounds this good it's remarkable.

Really would recommend people wait and see this with a crowd if at all possible. Would surely hold up in home viewing - even a crappy TV couldn't hide the brutality and force of the action scenes - but this is a cinema experience through and through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Well, it could still piss off a director.

The director talked about where he took inspiration from for the intentional dark humour in the Q&A afterwards.

I think the crowd were reacting exactly the way he wanted. In fact when asked about the audience reaction he said, "to use a cliche it's one of the best feelings in the world to watch it with an audience like this."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Was dying to see this since I first heard of it, so booked two tickets for myself and the girlfriend, then realised that she might not like the ultra violence parts of it (which is most of it). Oops.

While she only watched maybe four fifths of it, she loved it, and has been singing it's praises.

Also, what was up with the guy asking the questions? First few questions that he asks the native english speaking director are along the lines of "How do you feel about Sony remaking the film" and "why an Indonesian film", and then turns to the guy who is not a native english speaker, and asks him something along the lines of "Tell me a little of the culture of Silat, and the techniques used during the planning of the scenes, and how often you train, along with details of how you brought that culture into the film" all in one question, and then did it again. Was weird.

I just felt sorry for the little guy.*

* Little guy that could totally kick my a$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Aw nuts, I missed this.... fooey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Saw this on Saturday too with two others. As already stated the fighting scenes are amazing. One thing I really liked while it was violent and brutal in places it was only ever shown for a second at most... before moving onto another equally violent piece :D
    Felt sorry for the SWAT team leader, at last he put up a good fight though. Rama and Tama wouldn't have stood a chance if they were by themselves against Mad Dog.
    CatInABox wrote: »
    Was dying to see this since I first heard of it, so booked two tickets for myself and the girlfriend, then realised that she might not like the ultra violence parts of it (which is most of it). Oops.

While she only watched maybe four fifths of it, she loved it, and has been singing it's praises.

Also, what was up with the guy asking the questions? First few questions that he asks the native english speaking director are along the lines of "How do you feel about Sony remaking the film" and "why an Indonesian film", and then turns to the guy who is not a native english speaker, and asks him something along the lines of "Tell me a little of the culture of Silat, and the techniques used during the planning of the scenes, and how often you train, along with details of how you brought that culture into the film" all in one question, and then did it again. Was weird.

I just felt sorry for the little guy.*

* Little guy that could totally kick my a$$

Yea, he was terrible at asking questions I thought. He should have just asked one question at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Really raging i missed this, can't wait till May to see it :mad:

Ha, after noticing a huge surge in traffic for my review of The Raid (seriously - most hits I've ever gotten in a day :pac:) analytics pointed me in the direction of this thread: http://www.kaskus.us/showthread.php?t=6575675&page=239. They're talking about us!

A warm welcome to the Indonesian community *waves*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I saw this too. What an excellent action movie! So enjoyable! The vibe in the cinema during the movie was perfect for what was unfolding on the screen.

So so good.

My fingers are crossed for the audience award...

My 2nd place would go to "Where do we go now", although I only saw 5 movies.

"Welsh director Gareth Evans’ Indonesian martial arts film, The Raid , proved a hot favourite with both critics and audiences alike; scooping both the coveted Audience Award, and the Dublin Film Critics Circle Best Film – the first time both awards have gone to the same film."

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Raging I missed this now. Roll on the full release!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Loved loved loved this movie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Raging I missed this now. Roll on the full release!

Missed this, is it getting a full release here?

By the sounds of the reactions, it definitely should be!!!

Hopefully it will, but there's a US remake in the works and distributors sometimes bury the original. Also many multiplexes simply won't screen foreign language films.

• Advertisement
Advertisement