Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Raid - Indonesian action film

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

You weren't the guy who said "Jesus I'm wrecked after that" as the credits rolled, were you? :pac:
    Made me laugh.
    Great film, the pencak silat reminds me of muai thai a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I was quite surprised that IFCO has rated this one 18.

:eek:

Usually it's only a sexual content which garners the
    adult cert.

Even more violent than RAMBO?!?! I'm intrigued!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

This thread alone has me bursting with anticapation to see this film, and i have to wait at least till next week before il lget the chance :mad::mad:, im sure it will be worth the wait though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Want to see this on the 18th. Sorry if it's been covered, already, but is there any word on whether or not this has the cruddy Linkin Park sound track? Would prefer to see it in the cinema, but I really don't want to have to sit through shouty, angry-at-my-parents music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

If you mean the instrumental part in the trailer I posted in first post, yes that intro part plays during the film (in one scene and then at the credits), but I like it, the rest is more atmospheric or action music from Mike Shinoda (just him from Linkin Park I think), but it shouldn't make you not go and see it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My understanding was that the Shinoda/Linkin Park score was only on the US version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Whoever scored the Ireland / UK cut did a damn good job anyway, even if it is the Linkin Park guy. Can be a bit OTT at times, but for the most part it's a really tense and atmospheric score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

BopNiblets wrote: »
    You weren't the guy who said "Jesus I'm wrecked after that" as the credits rolled, were you? :pac:
    Made me laugh.
    Nah I was the one silently enjoying everyone else's ecstatic response to it. :)

Would prefer to see it in the cinema, but I really don't want to have to sit through shouty, angry-at-my-parents music.
    There's none of that thankfully. The one moment where it goes very dubstep during the initial fight where they're all trapped was a little OTT but it was a fine score other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Movie Bob gave me the heads up on this, watching it Friday I hope. Can't wait. Was afraid that it wasn't going to get much of a release at first.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sonic85 wrote: »
    i have my fingers crossed. really want to see this on a big screen!

omniplex website's been updated for next week.. no sign of the raid :(

Good to see Kermode's on board too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

For anyone that has an unlimited card, this movie is out today in cineworld for card holders only. One screening at 8.45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Anyone think it's a bit stupid the way they've added English into the trailer on the walkie-talkies?

I hope they haven't gone and dubbed the feckin' thing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ferocious. Kinetic. Outrageous. Funny. Exhilarating.

I could say more, but there's really no need. People, go see this!

Oh and it is the Shinoda soundtrack. I didn't mind though. It's pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

omniplex website's been updated for next week.. no sign of the raid :(

damn. anybody know if this will be in any cinema in the southeast? willing to travel - within reason!

sonic85 wrote: »
    damn. anybody know if this will be in any cinema in the southeast? willing to travel - within reason!

emailed them

"
    The Raid is due for release Fri 18th May, unfortunately we will not receive this for Fri 18th May, Our film schedule for Fri 25th May won’t be available to us until Mon 21st May.

It is unlikely that we will receive this, if you check out www.omniplex.ie on Mon 21st after 5pm our listings for Fri 21st May will be available on line.

Regards,

"

so... unlikely, but hope won't be completely dashed until monday evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

emailed them

"
    The Raid is due for release Fri 18th May, unfortunately we will not receive this for Fri 18th May, Our film schedule for Fri 25th May won’t be available to us until Mon 21st May.

It is unlikely that we will receive this, if you check out www.omniplex.ie on Mon 21st after 5pm our listings for Fri 21st May will be available on line.

Regards,

"

so... unlikely, but hope won't be completely dashed until monday evening

:D so a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel! ill be so pi$$ed if i dont get to see this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it. The Action was incomparable to anything Iv'e seen before. It was jaw dropping... literally! It was funny and clever and amazing. I cant recommend it enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Want to see this on the 18th. Sorry if it's been covered, already, but is there any word on whether or not this has the cruddy Linkin Park sound track? Would prefer to see it in the cinema, but I really don't want to have to sit through shouty, angry-at-my-parents music.

none of that going on, the score for this is excellent, adds to the tension, no lyrics whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Does this hold up to repeat viewings folks? Dying to see it, so booked tickets with a friend for Friday, and now my brother wants us to go see it on Monday next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Ape X wrote: »
    Does this hold up to repeat viewings folks? Dying to see it, so booked tickets with a friend for Friday, and now my brother wants us to go see it on Monday next.

yes, it does. I saw it twice - in February and last night.

The second time I could maybe admire the action even more thanks to the amazingly precise choreography/continuity. You really notice how well thought out each single shot is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The suspense building really stood out to me when I saw it again. Especially when Mad Dog is about to kick ass. The quiet. The anticipation. The politeness. The eventual giddy descent into bone-smashing violence.

Obviously the action itself is what stands out, but Evans shows himself to be a master of suspense too. Think the opening is terrific fun too. The guy trying to get in with his groceries is priceless :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Clickmonkey

Sorry just posted this in a new thread - get out and see the film!

Hello there - this is just a note to let everyone know, if they don't already, that The Raid is finally set to hit cinemas in Ireland on Friday the 18th of May.

You have have read some of the resoundingly positive reviews which have been coming from screenings of the film since its debut at the Toronto International Film Festival last year or even the host of local screenings over the last few weeks but what I really want to do is break through the hyperbole and try to get people out to see the film.

Despite basically universal acclaim, The Raid made a paltry $4 million on its release in the states in April, even though it debuted on a decent number of screens. It is, in my opinion, the finest action film I've had the chance to see in a cinema in many years and while it may not be the revolution some critics are suggesting it is, I believe it should be supported if we are to let filmmakers known that we expect more from action cinema from time to time.

So - go to see it, take someone else with you, recommend the film to a friend and comment below if you've checked it out. I've seen it three times already and will be heading out again as soon as it releases. Don't let the fact that it's subtitled turn you off, the Welsh director Gareth Evans has made an amazingly accessible action flick that just so happens to have been produced in Indonesia. If you're a fan of the genre, you simply have to check it out.

Finally, check out a scene!

• Advertisement

This isn't a plug

Actually, it is.

Careful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ that clip, sweet freaking jesus, hurry up Friday!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Clickmonkey

Actually, it is.

Careful now.

I can't post a link to my own review for the film? What was wrong with a link out to Metacritic?

I can't post a link to my own review for the film? What was wrong with a link out to Metacritic?

Given that a) Every post of yours on boards is a link to your site
    and b) Your first post in the film forum contains a link to your site then yes there is something wrong with it. You have nothing to gain from people clicking through to metacritic, so there's nowt wrong with that. If you want to share your opinion here there's no need to link anyone to a separate site. Signatures are for links to personal sites, blogs etc...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

The suspense building really stood out to me when I saw it again. Especially when Mad Dog is about to kick ass. The quiet. The anticipation. The politeness. The eventual giddy descent into bone-smashing violence.

Obviously the action itself is what stands out, but Evans shows himself to be a master of suspense too. Think the opening is terrific fun too. The guy trying to get in with his groceries is priceless :D

From the very start the suspense and tension is building.
    You're on edge waiting for the whole thing to kick off.

And the moments of quiet really punctuate the action so well.
    Best straight-up action movie I've seen in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Great film, heart-pounding action all throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

My god, that was awesome. If I was the only one in the cinema, I'd have been shouting during the Mad Dog fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Going to see this film this evening (18:50) in the UCI. Really looking forward to it as the trailers look awsome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Saw this today and i have to say it's def 1 of the best action films of the last decade,Cinema was half full and there a few gasp's and even a few "fu*kin hell"'s at some of the moves in the fight scenes.That guy mad dog is the best martial artist since tony ja........brilliant film.
    1 other plus of the movie is that i now know another 20 ways to kill someone:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Wow.

This is playing at the cinema round the corner from me, and for the first time in I don't know how long, I think I might go and watch it again. I think it's actually surpassed Chocolate as my favourite "people getting the absolute crap beaten out of them" film. And the direction is superb, which helps.

It should be mandatory that anyone who says the Avengers is 'the best film in years' goes to see this :p

Scrap that: it should be mandatory that everyone goes to see this anyway.

Hopefully the clever hype-building marketing plan - especially all the preview screenings - will generate the word of mouth and box office success the film deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Indonesian is such a crazy language, sounds like a mix of Spanish and Russian with a bit of English thrown in and all spoken in a Chinese accent :).

I thought the soundtrack was great as well, really atmospheric.

Did anyone else think that
    taking clothes off one of the killed bad guys and trying to blend in/walk out was a good option for the left over members of the SWAT team? I thought about it all throughout before Andi mentioned it to his brother, it just seemed like such a good idea considering how even the machete-wielding mad c*nts spared the guy with the sick wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Well that was only testosterastic! I kept having to force myself to re-concentrate on the awesome deliciously long take fight scenes they went on for so long. And what a score, one that would do Mortal Kombat proud.
    FAO Hollywood: This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Holy ****. Saw it last night. Unbelievable. The cinematography is nuts. Go see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

In going to see this today, really looking forward to it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Incredible film, it really does not let up from start to finish. So many 'holy ****' moments that led to collective gasps in the cinema, made for a fun atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Just out, have to agree that was amazing. The fights involving mad dog were both great highlights but The scene that had me was both fights around the apartment on the 7th floor. I gasped more then once. The time just flew by, the only down side is going to-be when Hollywood release a PG-13 version with Jason Statham it will annoy me no end. Best action film I have seen in years maybe even ever

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Hey guys, anyone know a cinema in or around Laois/Offaly/Midlands where this is is playing? Storm had it down as 'Coming Soon' on their website, but now appears not to be carrying it at all :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like the closest is the Omniplex or Eye in Galway, Storm in Limerick or quite a few cinemas in Dublin (it's only an hour on the motorway from the midlands to Liffey Valley or Galway).

How far are you willing to travel for the best movie showing at the moment? :)

I can't wait to see this again. As a paying customer this time. The film deserves every penny it gets.

It seems to have got a pretty good release in Dublin. Anyone whose local multiplex isn't showing it should make sure they send an email to them. They are never going to improve their selection of films if they don't know there's demand for something better. Although I'm not really sure how this kind of thing works. It might be down to the distributor.

guess I'm going to the IFI to catch the Raid next week.
    had a look at the website just to see if there was anything else on and maybe I could make a day of it.. ****ing life and death of colonel blimp showing next week

I normally scoff when people tell me such and such a movie "has to be seen in the cinema".. but the chance to see blimp in a theater and also get to see the Raid on the same day.. not even my hatred of dublin will keep me from it

--edit

if the ifi website says a movie is showing in "D-Cinema" is that the screen in the cinema?
    both blimp and IFi are showing in "D-cinema" according to their pages... but if that is the screen.. the raid will be starting 3 minutes before blimp ends. unless they are somewhat loose with their timetables?

ah.. digital cinema
    nevermind me

reckon i'd be safe missing the first 5-10 minutes of the Raid?

They often play a few minutes of ads/trailer before a movie anyway, though not to the ridiculous 20+ minutes that the multiplexes do. I'm sure you'd make it before The Raid starts.

oh yeah.. forgot about ads. last time i was in a cinema was return of the king... forgot how these things work:)

marvellous..
    nice leisurely colonel blimp for main course, the raid for desert.

• Advertisement

last time i was in a cinema was return of the king

:eek:

Advertisement