Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Raid - Indonesian action film

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if carlow had an IFI I'd go more often :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

There should be an IFI in every county tbh

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bloody exams would drive to galway to see this but for them, anyone know if the galway cinemas will be showing this for more than a week?

Going to keep this short as I'm on my phone, saw it twice yesterday, was at the late show last night which started at 12:05 am and then again at 10:05 last night. Best Sunday at the cinema ever. Have to say that it's a film that improves with every viewing. After 3 viewings I'm excited to see it again sometime during the week. Given how fast the action each subsequent viewing allows you to concentrate that little bit more on it and as such you start noticing cool little moments.

Evans really is a great film maker, the way he build suspense though quiet was masterful. A hell of a lot of more seasoned directors would give their right arm to be able to do it as good. You have to love the quiet before the storm moments, the Mad Dog Vs. Jaka fight is one of the all time great scenes. The politeness shown by Mad Dog in the moments leading up to the bone crunching is something that has to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

absolutely awesome film, can't believe it's made so little at the box office. Hopefully word of mouth gives it the commercial success it deserves.

In cineworld after a certain character is killed the audience started clapping :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Seen this film on Saturday gone at the UCI in Coolock. Went to the 18:50 showing and there were only 9 people in the Cinema. It was like having a private showing :) but it won't last long in the cinemas with attendances like that :(

Hopefully I will get to see it again before it is pulled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Never thought to look at a film section in boards, and this was one of the first threads I hit. Jesus H Christ that looks like a mental movie from the trailer. Better booka ticket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

so I finally saw it after plans to catch it at the weekend fell though, sweet freaking jesus what a movie. puts stuff from Hollywood to absolute shame with its visceral, kinetic mayhem. I liked the score, nicely tense and action packed when it needed to be. the action, where to even begin, every bone crunching knee, headbutt, elbow had the crowd howling with either laughter or anguish or both. "he killed him with a door!", the two big fights both the one on one between
    Mad Dog and Jaka
    and then
    Mad Dog, Rama and Dani
    were ****ing spectacular. I'm going to see it again asap. best action movie in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Wow just wow, finally got the chance to see it tonight it was intense. First film ive been in were it drew a few claps from the audience. The tension was great you felt like you were with them every step of the way, and the action just immense non stop blood pumping action, you either laughed, cheered or winced in agony with each hit and death. A must see and a must own on for any home movie collection.

Only sad thing was the lack of a crowd it drew in tonight, I was sat in a cinema with a max of 30 people shame so many people see subtitles and think no way :(.

Bring on The Raid 2 I say heres hoping Gareth Evans can keep up the same standard.

yeah the subtitles seem to be putting people off, even though the plot is lets be honest, barely existant. you could follow most of it without knowing a word people are saying, its all about the action.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    yeah the subtitles seem to be putting people off, even though the plot is lets be honest, barely existant. you could follow most of it without knowing a word people are saying, its all about the action.

Yeh I agree but a lot of people once they hear subtitles go oh god no you mean I have to read, for example in the barbers today got talking about films and I said I was going to see The Raid hed never heard of it and once I said subtitles immediate reaction was ah I couldnt be dealing with that.

Yeh I agree but a lot of people once they hear subtitles go oh god no you mean I have to read, for example in the barbers today got talking about films and I said I was going to see The Raid hed never heard of it and once I said subtitles immediate reaction was ah I couldnt be dealing with that.

most people are idiots though, thats a life lesson everyone should learn :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm afraid I'm elitist in one regard: I genuinely think a distaste for subtitles is down to pure & simple ignorance. Again, there are exceptions, like people with learning disabilities, sight problems at the like. But these do not make up the vast majority of 'anti-subtitle' folk. If they want to deny themselves so much great cinema, then that's their fault and no-one elses.

I genuinely feel that after five minutes you forget the subs are even there. In The Raid, you're too busy watching people being ****ed out windows anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

saw it in the IFI this afternoon

by jesus balls it was amazing

that fight between mad dog and the two lads was incredible. I was feeling kinda tired and starving after getting out of colonel blimp earlier and was worried I wouldnt be in the right frame of mind to enjoy the raid.. that changed 5 seconds into the movie as I just perked right up

I thought the music was ... well not fantastic, butit suited the movie well. I never heard a tune and thought it was out of place.. some places it was downright natural sounding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

This is a great film.
    I'll add more once I see it again, but fuck me, I was blown away by this. One of the best action films I have seen in years. Everything in it was nearing on perfect.

I'm afraid I'm elitist in one regard: I genuinely think a distaste for subtitles is down to pure & simple ignorance. Again, there are exceptions, like people with learning disabilities, sight problems at the like. But these do not make up the vast majority of 'anti-subtitle' folk. If they want to deny themselves so much great cinema, then that's their fault and no-one elses.

I genuinely feel that after five minutes you forget the subs are even there. In The Raid, you're too busy watching people being ****ed out windows anyway.

My thinking would be along the same lines, I even said to the barber today sure after five minutes you forget youre even reading subtitles it just becomes natural to a point still got nope, some of may favourite films have subtitles in them and have tried with numerous people to get them to watch some of them but the majority of times it falls on deaf ears.

Also as you said The Raid you could nearly follow the film by not reading the subtitle or at most catching one or two important bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Great movie. loved it. I would have loved to have seen this movie with like minded people but I was actually the only person in the cinema :eek:

people are missing out big time on a great cinema experience.

It felt like over 90 minutes of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CKxDMOF4EI

Maybe a bit more stylised :)

Great movie. see it before its gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Regarding subtitles I think it depends on the screen you watch it on. I have had to endure subtitles on a small tv before and it is excrutiating squinting to read them and you end up missing half the show. I had no such problem watching The Raid at the Jemy FIlm Fest in March.

The kind of people who give out about subtitles are the kind that dont deserve to see this movie but no doubt in a few yrs will be raving about the american remake.

On a side note any word on a DVD release?? Would love a special ltd edtitioncopy with a branded tube light bulb:D

frAg

http://www.thisisirishfilm.ie/box_office/

Pretty good box office for a low budget foreign language movie. :)

Hopefully this'll make more cinemas want to screen it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

While I agree that a lot of the dislike of subtitles stems from ignorance, not all of it does.

Normally, watching an English language movie, I look at the actors while I listen to what they are saying. I can then appreciate the acting and dialogue simultaneously. When I saw The Raid last Saturday, during the dialogue scenes, I ended up having to focus on the text to find out what was being said. Now, this wasn't as much of an issue in The Raid, as has been said, there wasn't much of a plot. But I prefer to see the actors and understand what they are saying at the same time, rather than having to choose.

Anyway, I still enjoyed The Raid immensely and would not have to same hang-ups people have regarding subtitled films, but if a good dubbed version were available, I would prefer that.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    Anyway, I still enjoyed The Raid immensely and would not have to same hang-ups people have regarding subtitled films, but if a good dubbed version were available, I would prefer that.
    That defeats the entire purpose of watching foreign films, surely? Don't know about you but it takes me maybe at the most a tenth of a second to read a line of dialog, not all that distracting. If anything hearing American voices overtake foreign actors would put me out of the context of the movie even more and rid the film of some of its cultural idiosyncrasies. I've yet to hear a single instance of dubbing appropriately working in live action.

e_e wrote: »
    That defeats the entire purpose of watching foreign films, surely? Don't know about you but it takes me maybe at the most a tenth of a second to read a line of dialog, not all that distracting. If anything hearing American voices overtake foreign actors would put me out of the context of the movie even more and rid the film of some of its cultural idiosyncrasies. I've yet to hear a single instance of dubbing appropriately working in live action.

I found Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon had a good dub track.

Anyway, during a stream of dialogue, my focus always seems to end up at the bottom of the screen for the entirity of the conversation. Obviously quick sentences are different but you still end up missing some of the performance.

While I agree that a lot of the dislike of subtitles stems from ignorance, not all of it does.

Normally, watching an English language movie, I look at the actors while I listen to what they are saying. I can then appreciate the acting and dialogue simultaneously. When I saw The Raid last Saturday, during the dialogue scenes, I ended up having to focus on the text to find out what was being said. Now, this wasn't as much of an issue in The Raid, as has been said, there wasn't much of a plot. But I prefer to see the actors and understand what they are saying at the same time, rather than having to choose.

god no, dubbed movies are way more offputting that subtitles, I just sit there wondering why people from asian countries are talking with US/British accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

god no, dubbed movies are way more offputting that subtitles, I just sit there wondering why people from asian countries are talking with US/British accents.

Well to be fair and action movie is all about the spectacle, there have been a few movies where I resented having to read the subs. But on the whole I do prefer the subs.

^^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Hmmm... did not like this one very much.

Was pretty much like watching somebody else play a computer game. And the music suited the computer game vibe too.

Not having a go, but can't that be said about any movie that has fight scenes?

I think it was a very conscious decision to structure the film in that way, doesn't necessarily mean it's bad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I went along to see this as well. I would not have been an action/Martial arts film fan but said I'd give this a go as it got such good reviews/something different. It was just OK, can't say I'm a action/Martial arts film after watching it, you really need to be able to suspend disbelief to get into this kind of thing.

Not sure what all the fuss about the subtitles is. Not that difficult to get into it and not like there is huge amounts of dialogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Regarding the subtitles/dubbed debate if anyone has watched the very similar (but also good) District B-13 I saw it dubbed alone and subtitles with friends the second time and it was like watching a different film. Even ignoring the O'Irish accents on some of the cast the acting just seems stronger when I heard the actual tone of the voices or something.

Crouching Tiger is a good example of a film were I prefered it dubbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Missed it at JDIFF and been dying to see it since. Finally saw it on Monday on Odeon Blanch.

TOP NOTCH FILM.

The only issue I had with it was
    Andi's ability to hop right into a fight at full pelt with Mad Dog after having his hand stabbed and his mid-section worked over
    . A very minor thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

e_e wrote: »
    Not having a go, but can't that be said about any movie that has fight scenes?

I think it was a very conscious decision to structure the film in that way, doesn't necessarily mean it's bad though.

My reason for likening it to a computer game was that there was very little depth. I don't think you can say that about most movies with fights...

The dialogue and tension between the brothers was pretty cringeworthy. And while I can admire stylish action sequences, I think you need a bit more to sustain a good film.

Also, one thing I never got about this kind of film - the 'approaching baddies' - i.e. they attack the good guy one at a time until they are all dead. As soon as he kills one, another appears from out of screenshot, as if he's moving through a side-scrolling video game. I realise its stylised, but there was so much of this style action in the film.

Just not my cup of tea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

duckworth wrote: »
    Hmmm... did not like this one very much.

Was pretty much like watching somebody else play a computer game. And the music suited the computer game vibe too.
    I went along to see this as well. I would not have been an action/Martial arts film fan but said I'd give this a go as it got such good reviews/something different. It was just OK, can't say I'm a action/Martial arts film after watching it, you really need to be able to suspend disbelief to get into this kind of thing.

I can understand if it's not the kind of film you're particularly interested in (because the best execution in the world of something you don't like is still something you don't like), but I'm curious - what were you expecting from The Raid that it was missing?

I'd agree that as narratives go it's very much a story geared around setting up fight sequences, but I enjoy martial-arts action films when there's good choreography and inventive sequences involved, and I thought this was a great example of how to do it (in terms of visceral fight sequences where, while realism may be lacking in that there are one or two guys going through literally dozens of opponents, the raw physicality of the fights themselves is is never in question). A friend had told me about the film and that was why I looked forward to it.

I don't think you need to suspend disbelief for this sort of film any more than any other type of film - there was nothing in this that was particularly more unlikely than eg The Expendables or pretty much any Jason Statham Beats People Up film I've seen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My reason for likening it to a computer game was that there was very little depth. I don't think you can say that about most movies with fights...

Correction:

You're likening it to a bad computer game ;)

Funnily enough, while I'd certainly agree the film is lacking in grand insight, I do think the characterisation is strong: all of the main characters do have a distinct personality and motivation, not to mention a distinctive fighting style. And there are least basic (albeit very simple) justifications for everything that happens. There's certainly a plot, even if it's just to move things along.

Actually, one thing I loved about the film was the mystery and oddness surrounding the apartment block. Was a very strong location for that reason.

I think you can say that about most movies, period. Martial Arts cinema has always been more about skillfully displaying choreography than dabbling in intricate plots or portraying complex characters. This film has clearly been made by a guy who loves those traditions.

But hey your issue seems to be with a lack of something that the film didn't even set out to include in the first place, so it clearly just wasn't for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just as enjoyable the second time around. I'd rank this up there with some of the finest action cinema I've ever seen. Hopefully American directors will take some inspiration from it in terms of how to shoot, edit and choreograph fight scenes, but I doubt it. The funny thing is Evans is only doing what Hollywood action movies have been trying to do with varying degrees of success for the last decade - kinetic action - but he carries it off which with several times greater skill and technique.

It's tempting to suggest that it is just a series of bad-ass action sequences strung together, but the film is extremely well structured. It has the perfect blend of exposition, action, suspense and humour, with just enough plot to hold it altogether without getting in the way. The editing and pacing is fantastic. It knows when to slow down and let the audience breath, and it knows when to keep going and going. I suspect a lot of this is due to the quality of the choreography, which is telling a story in itself with dramatic highs and lows. I've always enjoyed poetic action cinema, like John Woo's early stuff, but this film really pushes the envelope.

Vue look like they are set to slash the number of showings next week to make way for other films. It's unfortunate because a film like this really relies on word of mouth, which can take a while to travel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Fysh wrote: »
    I can understand if it's not the kind of film you're particularly interested in (because the best execution in the world of something you don't like is still something you don't like), but I'm curious - what were you expecting from The Raid that it was missing?

I had pretty much zero expectations, it's not the kind of thing I'd watch, just said I'd give it a go.

I guess the problems I'd have with it is the complete lack of realism. Not that all films have to be realistic, fantasy has it's place. Just that I think you need to be one or the other. Couple of things:
    • Fight scenes that are more like choreography than fights. For example The Big Man in it's day was a lot truer, in my opinion, to the kind of brutality you see in two guys beating shíte out of each other.
    • duckworth's approaching baddies. Baddies' appear to like queues
    • JoePie's spoiler above
    • The move from guns to machetes to hand to hand.
    • etc

As you say I'd probably not like the best executed of this kind of thing.

All that said Indonesian is a great language for this kind of thing. Sounds so evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

I'm going to see this tonight and am really excited, but just one question - is it scary at all? I HATE big jumpy scare moments and just want to know does this film have anything like that in it. I can handle hours of bone crunching and head smashing, but not jumpy scares!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, it's not a horror movie. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I saw it the other night with the gf.

It was entertaining, nowhere near as good as the hype indicated.

I enjoyed it but I wouldn't recommend people go out of their way to see it.

It seems the version of the film on release here is the same one that was slightly cut to achieve an R-rating in the US. The main difference is that execution scene at the beginning was more bloody. I guessed as much. There's a very out of place transition at the end of that scene.

• Advertisement

No, it's not a horror movie. :D
    Well it has elements of survival horror and the part where they're trapped in the room is kinda akin to a zombie invasion scenario.

But is it scary? Nah. Intense? Yep.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is this subtitled?

Is this subtitled?

It is but there is so little dialogue that you barely notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It seems the version of the film on release here is the same one that was slightly cut to achieve an R-rating in the US. The main difference is that execution scene at the beginning was more bloody. I guessed as much. There's a very out of place transition at the end of that scene.

Ah yes that explains it, I thought the same. It definitely seemed like there was a cut there.

Is this subtitled?

yes, the plot is wafer thin though so you dont even notice. cops raiding an apartment block full of drug dealers, then 90 mins of guys getting twatted with fists, elbows, knees, chairs, knives, guns, doorframes, fridges, tables. Its glorious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

I went to see this in the lighthouse. I thought it was fantastic. Could not recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Just going to add my voice to the praise - I saw it last night and loved it! Like others have said, the plot isn't up to much but the stunts and fight scenes more than make up for that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Went into this without having seen a trailer - only the odd review and internet buzz.

So, how does a subtitled, 18s certificate film that's chok full of violence generate all this hype and a fair amount of critical buzz? Who knows.

Starting with the obvious - despite the set up and execution, this is not an us vs. them thing, but then it's not really 'one man on a journey' affair, either. The story essentially rests on one guy's shoulders - a little bit of a weakness, I found, but plot was pretty thin anyway. The violence, parts of which are pretty on the nose, whilst others occur as the camera shies away - some of this is pretty inventive, and fun for the sheer insanity of the ninja arsekicking on display (Joe Duffy brigade can GTFO), but on the whole, save for a few quieter scenes and the sheer obliteration of almost everything with legs, this seemed to be remarkably lacking in tension for me. I did enjoy
    the fridge scene and the drug lab fights scenes a bit more than the final showdown with the 2 vs. 1 situation - nice lightbulb death, mind you.
    The violence is generally not played for laughs, but ya do kinda chuckle at well, ya know, how many kicks to the head can you take and how many bullets can you really carry? These are minor issues when you're just along for the sheer hell of the ride.

Some kudos must go to the director, though, for his ability to throw all of this up on the screen - not in a cheap or awful way, despite a very small budget. Michael Bay et al, are you listening?

Inventive and insane, sure.

Deserving of the hype, not quite.

As for the inevitable American remake - I'd be surprised if it got an 18s cert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I see this new release has been leaked already onto the internet.
    An awful pity as it still had legs left at the cinema.
    I just hope it maximised it's run & got a full release in all regions before now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I enjoyed it myself but didnt think it was anywhere near as good as a lot of people have said. The fight scenes got very repetitive towards the end, I saw the same few moves repeated about a million times (catch the leg and throw into wall anybody?) and I actually just wanted the final fight scene to end as it was annoying me with its silliness
    The earlier bits with the knives and battons were better and it had some funny deaths. In terms of his actual physical ability he is nowhere near Tony Jaa from Ong Bak. It was sped up and more fake and much less impressive for me.
    Still though, an amusing film nontheless

• Advertisement
Advertisement