Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Raid - Indonesian action film

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I get the feeling some folk were expecting a complimentary blowjob from Dead Eyes Johansson along with their ticket given some of the comments.

If action films aren't your thing that's one thing, but I don't understand how anyone could enjoy Ong Bak or Chocolate and not enjoy this film every bit as much or more so. I certainly don't understand the notion that this doesn't blow most US action films from the last 10 years right out of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It's a bit like going to see a musical and complaining that there was too much singing/dancing, isn't it?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Went to see this today, it was well worth the hour and a half drive. The action was insane, would definitely be seeing it again if I didn't have to go so far out of my way.

My friend who saw it with me just sent me this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

High Octane movie. Does what it says on the tin. It's hard to understand the comments dismissing it as unable to live up to the hype - what action movie has in the past number of years? It's as good as I've seen in a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Want to go and see this tonight with the missus.

She doesn't like violence in movies at all.

I've told her it's a subtitled foreign independent movie which has won numerous film festival awards.......reckon I'll be in the doghouse tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

My woman would be the same but she ended up getting really into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

mfceiling wrote: »

I've told her it's a subtitled foreign independent movie which has won numerous film festival awards.......reckon I'll be in the doghouse tomorrow...

Your my hero..... better again you'll get away with it for the first 5min or so

The violence isn't drawn out or sadistic though. I think that's a key difference between this film and a lot of extreme cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Going now to see it.

"what's it about mfceiling?"

Eh.....not sure...think it's about a drug lord who's getting his comeuppance...

She'll have some head on her about 10 o'clock tonight!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Watched this today after a long wait due to exams...

And its going straight in my Top 10 movies I've ever watched.
    Hell I guess I'll put it in the Top 5!!!

After a long time finally a movie worth paying for!

Also I have to admit it was a bit like watching a grown up version of Samurai Jack with nothing but intense action from start to finish!
    But it was brilliant pulled off that the intensity and tension didn't drop for a moment.

I just imagine if Michael Bay would have directed such a movie how terrible it'ld be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I just imagine if Michael Bay would have directed such a movie how terrible it'ld be!
    I'd pefer not to imagine it! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Also I have to admit it was a bit like watching a grown up version of Samurai Jack with nothing but intense action from start to finish!

o.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Saw this. Really it is exactly what it says on the tin. Its all action and reminds me of the old arcade game "Kung Fu Master" with our hero taking on bigger and better bad guys, like end of level stuff.

There are some really cool deaths in this but a lot of it is just punch, kick, block, and punch, kick some more. If you like watching this for an hour and a half this film is for you but personally i wouldnt be the biggest fan of the genre. It becomes repetitive but still it is by far the best of the genre i have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Going now to see it.

"what's it about mfceiling?"

Eh.....not sure...think it's about a drug lord who's getting his comeuppance...

She'll have some head on her about 10 o'clock tonight!!

Given you haven't gotten back to us about the above, I can only assume you're still trying to get over the break-up.

Hard lines brother, hard lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I need this to be out on DVD post haste! Finally, someone delivers! and in spades! Films like this encourage me to buy the new TV, projector, blu-ray etc. Are you listening Hollywood? I propose a transaction: You give me films like this and I will give you money aaaaaal the live long day.

• Advertisement

2 months until the dvd/br release.. not too long, but long enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I'm hoping for special addition that comes with a broken blood crusted tube light!

One thing I will say is that the option to watch it with the original score would be nice!

I wonder if there will be a ltd edition copy with a bloodied light bulb similar to the hammer with the ltd edition OldBoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

We watched this last night, it was amazing!!! Honestly like an adrenaline shot, unfortunately then we watched Rock of Ages after which is possibly the worst movie we've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Watched the uncut bluray version of this the other night and really liked it, some truly epic fight scenes and great action but unfortunately the picture quality is very average for BD.

Some nice extras including a fan made claymation SPOILERS Claycats SPOILERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I must be the only person on here who thought this was a steaming pile of poo when I saw it a while back in the cinema. Me and the OH we're on the verge of walking out. One more action movie cliche and I would have passed out. Sorry to be the disagreeing voice since everyone else thought it was brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Sheeeeeeeeeeeyit I didn't know they were making a sequel! Yay!

I really liked the last one, don't know what people were complaining about. Yeah there were plenty of clichés, it's an action movie not Nil by Mouth ffs. There's a difference between your standard clichéd action shoot em up and a clichéd action movie script with fight scenes like that. I watch a lot of violent films and I really appreciate when people can do something new with it, I came out of it just blown away by what the human body can do.

Apparently the wall he is hitting is a metaphor for.....................

Who cares, bring on the carnage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

frag420 wrote: »
    Apparently the wall he is hitting is a metaphor for.....................

Who cares, bring on the carnage!!

A person! I bet it's a metaphor for hitting a person lots of times really fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Anyone who liked this should like "Go Fast"............French cops n robbers style, check it out (before the Hollywood remake).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Just seen the trailer today I'm liking it :D, hopefully they can make the sequel live up to the first outing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Only just got around to watching the this on Netflix at the weekend, absolutely loved it - great news about the sequel!

• Advertisement

23:10 Has Mr Evans read this thread perchance? Seems very similar to a certain post here. :D

Advertisement