Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing shotgun from the US

Options
  • 10-09-2011 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i am currently living and working in the us but will be returning to ireland in the future i am looking to bring back my over and under 12 gauge buretta shotgun to ireland has anyone else on here ever done this or can anyone give me advice on where to look for the info on the import restrictions and rules. i know aer lingus will fly them in but after thet i am stumped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭palo

Hello eoin pkane.

Yes it is possible but you will have to apply for a firearms certificate here first which will have to be done trough your local garda station. That will take a bit of time when you get that you will have to apply to Dept of Justice for an importation licence to bring the gun into Ireland. I am guessing this will take you about a year to do so if you are coming on holidays you can make a start on it, but there is no way you will get a firearms certificate without presenting yourself to your local guard and he knowing you also there is the issue of security in the house you intend to keep the weapon in also if you do get that far there is the queston of customs when you arrive so you will have a lot do. All this info is on Dept of Justice web site best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

you could also contact a firearms dealer over here and he can import it for u. then when you come back to ireland you can apply for a licence for it. im not too sure can you get a licence for it while ur still in the states. i taught you would have to live here. but im open to correction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eoinpkane

thank you for the responses most helpful now to buy a gunsafe on my next trip home and see my nice local Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Simple - Law may have changed but know others who have done this after me and a dealer recently told me its still the same as he recently received a rifle from someone doing just this.

You bring it in on a temporary import permit and apply for your licence when you get here.
    I brought 2 rifles + 2 shotguns home from the US a few years ago.

Phoned the Dep of Justice, all were helpful and passed me round to someone who sent me the application for the temperory import permit. (Permit did not get to me in time so in a panic I called, was told, don't worry and she fax'd a copy to me the morning I was leaving).
    Questioned what to do in dublin and was told pick them off the carousel and go home, , you have a permit and if owned more than 6 months, nothing to do with customs, simple as that.
    When you get to Ireland they must be handed in to a registered dealer within 72 hours, where they stay until your licence is issued.
    Local Garda station was notified that they were coming in also.

If moving house/shipping a container get your safe there, similar safe's to what is available over there cost a fortune here.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Advertisement