Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Replacement - level of clean up ?

• 10-09-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

Having our windows replaced at the moment - not at all happy about the level of cleanup the guys are doing

We're on day one of two - yesterday they did 3 bedrooms and the sitting room. They did a quick hoover in the bedrooms and left the sitting room untouched.

The missus and the young fella both cut themselves on glass that was on the duvet cover.
    The young fella got another glass splinter today.

I spent all last night and most of this morning vacuuming and wiping the rooms. Probably going to have to do the same after day 2.

We didn't reckon this level of clean up would be required - wha't s the standard for this type of job ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I would find it totally unaceptable that they leave broken glass, however I would have moved all furniture, bedding ect. well away from the windows before I allowed them to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

My folks had the same job done recently. They spent some time moving furniture out of harms way and covering carpets etc with dust sheets. There was a few hours cleaning up - hoovering mainly which would be expected with a job of this scale. You might want to consider doing a bit of prep like this before the rest of the windows are replaced.

However shards of glass being left around the place to me is completely unacceptable and shouldn't happen - would be having words with the lads doing the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭skippy15

Had our windows done about 6 weeks ago (had plastering done ourselves).
    Moved furniture and put out some sheets, no mess what so ever would barely notice that they were in. Amazing job,
    I would be furious if glass etc was left, and that level of mess. Not a lot can do as cant really hold money off I think, but worth naming and shaming them to friends family etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

How come they broke the glass in the old ones?:confused:
    I had all my windows replaced a few years ago and they broke no glass whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

My wife asked the sales guy was there anything we should to prepare - he just said we could take down the blinds maybe.

Very pi$$ed off TBH - feel like stopping money for the work we had to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Timber or pvc windows being taken out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

timber, original single glazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Breaking the glass is a piss poor way of getting a window out. They should be ripping out the sashes from the hinges and cutting through the transoms.

Advertisement