Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So.....Rouge, Kai or Aniar? Which do you prefer?

Options
  • 10-09-2011 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

It's our anniversary soon and we haven't been to any of the above yet. We normally are Cava people, but fancy trying somewhere new.

I haven't heard much about Aniar, other than the review in the Irish Times - was a bit put off by them apparently putting sorrel in every dish?? :confused: And I've heard it's pretty dear, but not sure if that's true.

Kai is pretty trendy at the moment, but is the food too faddy?

I like the sound of Rouge - we love our wine - but I'm worried that only 2 courses wouldn't be enough for me! :p

Opinions would be welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Kai - Not the cheapest, but a lovely venue, plenty of light, especially towards the back. Excellent waiting staff, the owner was on hand to tell us everything we wanted to know about the food. The menu is sparse enough, but enough variety to satisfy the meat/veg/seafood eaters. It also changes very regularly, which is nice.
    Popular place.
    The food was well presented, decent portions, and delicious. Haven't tried anywhere else though, to compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I really didn't like Kai, I would be a Cava person too. I have heard great things about Rouge, everyone saying how good the food is. Haven't heard much about Anair yet though, just that it's pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Haven't tried Aniar yet. Kai seems lovely, but only gone for lunch. Have eaten multiple times at Rouge, so whatever that tells you.

Rouge *looks* more formal than it is, the atmosphere in there is lovely and very relaxed.

If you get a dessert on top of your meal, trust me, you'll have trouble moving.

The food is lovely, not giant portions, but plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Have been to all three.
    Aniar-Expensive and didn't like it all, an experience for sure.
    Kai-Loved it but some of the staff were not very friendly.
    Rouge-Amazing food and very chilled, so romantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

French Girlfriend absolutly loved Rouge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Rouge all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ard Bia at Nimmos....

(and then Kai)

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Each of the 3 restaurants have been reviewed by Mona Wise in her blog.

http://www.wisewords.ie/index.php/category/wise-words-reviews/

Well worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

Love Kai & Rouge, haven't tried Aniar yet. Menu at Rouge is v. limited but food is really good. Kai is ideal if you are vegetarian or like seafood. By far the best vegetarian food in Galway, and my carnivore husband loves it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

For me Rouge is poor for food and great for wine. I havent been to Aniar yet , but I have been to Kai. First time incredible, second time good. Ard Bia is still the best restaurant in Galway (for my tastes) but I guess it depends on what your into

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Was in Rouge tonight. Didn't have a reservation and all the tables were booked out so they offered us a place on the lovely sofas by the window. It's a tuesday and they were booked out!

Steak was lovely, gratin very nice, service was excellent, wine really good and desserts were delicious too.

I really hope the quality doesn't slide drastically over time like some other restaurants in the city making me look like a dick for recommending a crap restaurant. But tonight it was really good.

Advertisement