Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS replacing 360s that won't read new XGD3 disc?

Options
  • 10-09-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭

I've read here that MS are offering to replace older xbox 360s that can't play newer game discs which I've also read is related to the new XGD3 format being released.

Is this true? I have a 2006 Hitachi DVD drive (older firmware) which I believe is the main version at risk - has anyone any experience getting newer XGD3 games to play on one of these? Current XGD3 titles are IIRC: Driver - San Francisso, Space Marine, and Dead Island.

I don't have any of these games myself to test...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

If my memory serves me well, when preparing for the new disc format, certain consoles would stop reading discs altogether, not just the new format. Any affected consoles would've stopped reading discs from the last system i.e. No free Xbox for you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I haven't updated the dash in over a year tho. MS have a list of consoles so I've queried directly with them. Just wondering if anyone has had a problem since the update?

Elessar wrote: »
    I haven't updated the dash in over a year tho. MS have a list of consoles so I've queried directly with them. Just wondering if anyone has had a problem since the update?

Update your dashboard, then. Stops reading discs? Free new Xbox for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Healium wrote: »
    Update your dashboard, then. Stops reading discs? Free new Xbox for you
    Not correct

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

If your console is not able to read the new disc format (Which hasn't been released yet) you will get a mail from Microsoft informing you of this, and how to get your replacement console.

But this is a very, very small part of all consoles world wide, a few hundred to be correct.

• Advertisement

Meesared wrote: »
    Not correct

How so? The update in question was the last system update, yes? It causes consoles to stop reading discs? Then MS contact you about a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Healium wrote: »
    How so? The update in question was the last system update, yes? It causes consoles to stop reading discs? Then MS contact you about a replacement

The disc reading issue is not caused by the update.

The replacement consoles are only for consoles who are unable to read the new disc format.

Advertisement