Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the story using bio diesel?

• 10-09-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

a mate of mine has a courier outfit 6 or 7 transits and he runs them all on the biodiesel, it costs €1.14 per litre from station. He has been using it for well over a year now, ok he hasnt been stoppd and dipped but wat would happen if he did, he knows the petrol station owner very well who says its compeletly road legal fuel and he will stand by that if customs try to do him.

so wat is the story with it then is it 100% legal to use it or what, its a massive saving instead of paying €1.40 per litre!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

trixyben wrote: »
    a mate of mine has a courier outfit 6 or 7 transits and he runs them all on the biodiesel, it costs €1.14 per litre from station. He has been using it for well over a year now, ok he hasnt been stoppd and dipped but wat would happen if he did, he knows the petrol station owner very well who says its compeletly road legal fuel and he will stand by that if customs try to do him.

so wat is the story with it then is it 100% legal to use it or what, its a massive saving instead of paying €1.40 per litre!

Worth noting that there is less energy per litre of biodiesel than normal diesel. Not sure exact figure and possibly varies considerably.. possibly 10% or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Also worth noting that biodiesel can corrode fuel lines in certain cars and can be problematic to start in very cold weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

trixyben wrote: »

A number of people using bio-diesel from a station that sells it at €1.149 (Im sure its the same one) that I know personally have had no trouble. One of them the car (Mondeo TDCI) didnt start one day, but it was just the fuel filter was full of crap, once he replaced it car was fine. Its also perhaps worth considering that most of the vehicles which purchase biodiesel there are older vans and farmers cars, so it may be hard to find its effects on newer vehicles.

None of them have ever been dipped, but they looked at the diesel and it appears to be more like they believe bio diesel should look like, than washed diesel. Also customs do be around that area regularly enough so if the diesel wasnt legit I imagine they would have picked up on it?

Re legality, I dont know, but a previous post here stated that when dipped customs checked that its specific gravity, and when it really was biodiesal they asked nothing more. If the petrol station is selling it to the public, and you hang onto receipts showing you purchased it from a real business, then your probably minimizing any risk of hassle. Some petrol stations further South sell biodiesel, and some forum users make their own (while paying the appropriate tax) so if tax is paid it appears to be road legal. Even in the UK there is an obligation to pay tax when selling it or making over a certain (low) threshold.

A small number of people report, second hand stories, of problems with it and their engines.

So it appears to depend on your vehicle type....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Anywhere in Limerick selling this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Anywhere in Limerick selling this?

Theres a station somewhere near Portlaoise I think selling biodiesel.... but its only a few cent cheaper per litre IIRC. I think they were 136.9 - 138.9 when normal diesel was about 142.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

been speaking to good few people over the wkend and it seems they are all using it! they keep their receipts to keep themselves right and any problems with the law at all the petrol station owner will stand over the sale of the diesel 100%

think i might start using myself tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On the inside of the fuel filler flap on my car it specifically states not to use bio diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

bazz26 wrote: »
    On the inside of the fuel filler flap on my car it specifically states not to use bio diesel.

I'm guessing it's a modern common rail engine?

The problem with bio diesel or veg oil too and fuel filters is that it can pick up extra crap from the tank and lines but if you change the filter more regularly it's grand. Running one car on straight veg oil most of the time throughout the summer and it's fine, just been changing the filter every 5000 miles. It's 10 euro and can be changed on my old vw in about 3 minutes.
    I won't be runnign 100% veg in colder weather as i don't want to modify the car and it does make it a but harder to start from cold but during normal eather once you've got good glowplugs and your pump and filter are good it's grand. Will be running a mix in cold weather though. Some recommend a tiny bit of petrol put in too but i'm not telling anyone to do that

There's a lot of misinformation put about regarding the use of veg oil and biodiesel. Of course it has it's own issues but there's a bit too much "oh no you can't possibly do that the car will blow up in your face" type of panic about it, because it's different, but i guess some people will just never adjust to things.

Advertisement