Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I get a diesel or petrol?

• 10-09-2011 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

I drive to work to and back every day. I live in Inchicore and work in Citywest. According to Google Maps, this would be about 13km. So doing this twice five times a week.

I also travel to Galway quite regularly; probably every other weekend (Perhaps a little more than that). Thats a journey of 235km 1 way.

With this kind of driving, would it be more economical getting a petrol or diesel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are you talking about buying new or used? What have you got to trade in at the moment or will you be buying straight? If you factor in the cost to change it may be worth holding on to your current car.

The actual fuel cost will most likely be cheaper with the diesel, however depending on the year, there may be an increase in motor tax and possibly servicing costs compared to your current car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Are you talking about buying new or used? What have you got to trade in at the moment or will you be buying straight? If you factor in the cost to change it may be worth holding on to your current car.

Buying used. My old car needs too much work and is ready to be scrapped so tradein value is minimal.

You do 6000/7000km urban per annum and 12000km ish on the longer spins, I'd do with the likes of a 1.6 Focus petrol if you intend spending small money. Although spending small money there are lots of diesels that won't mind that sort of driving either.

You do 6000/7000km urban per annum and 12000km ish on the longer spins, I'd do with the likes of a 1.6 Focus petrol if you intend spending small money. Although spending small money there are lots of diesels that won't mind that sort of driving either.

My budget is around 10000, could possibly stretch to 11000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Test drive a Prius and see what you think

• Advertisement

€10,000 is plenty really, no need at all to stretch the budget. What do you drive at the moment? Apart from needing replacement what about it didn't suit your needs? Folks can suggest what may suit you then :)

€10,000 is plenty really, no need at all to stretch the budget. What do you drive at the moment? Apart from needing replacement what about it didn't suit your needs? Folks can suggest what may suit you then smile.gif

I drove a '00 lanos. It has a lot of mileage done and NCT due now and there are a few things that need fixing. So I need a change. That car was fairly ok (Certainly very reliable). Would like a car that is a bit more comfortable doing motorway driving and that is a economical on fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

A diesel without a DPF might work. I'm thinking a Golf/Leon/Octavia 1.9 tdi. But you'll pay a premium so I'd go petrol. A Ghia or Titanium Focus have a relatively economical and powerful 1.6 and are worth looking out for.

If you want to spend less than €10,000 and don't mind taxing a 2.0 on the old cc system you could spend a bit less and still get a comfy, efficient car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Damokc

You have up to €11,000 to spend on a car yet you come on here asking whether you should buy a petrol or diesel for economical reasons?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Damokc wrote: »
    You have up to €11,000 to spend on a car yet you come on here asking whether you should buy a petrol or diesel for economical reasons?:rolleyes:

His original post asked for advice, not judgement.

You have up to €11,000 to spend on a car yet you come on here asking whether you should buy a petrol or diesel for economical reasons?rolleyes.gif

Eh, yeah? I dont see how that is contradictory; I have money up front to pay for a car but I dont see why I shouldnt look for advice as to what would be considered more economical :confused: I do not know much about cars, so surely it is a good thing I look for advice on whether spending 11k on a particular car will represent better value than spending 10k on a car.... I fail to see your point.

Damokc wrote: »

And your point?
    Some 2nd hand €10,000 cars do less than 20mpg.
    Some 2nd hand €10,000 cars do more than 60mpg.

On the OPs quoted mileage that's a difference of €30/week in fuel costs.

€10,000 isn't a lot for a car purchase (just because my last 7 cars combined wouldn't have been much over the €10,000 doesn't void that point)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Damokc

Right, apologies. well wear in what ever you buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

My mileage is almost exactly the same, drive to work in Dublin and drive home to Cork every 2 weeks or so.

Thinking of buying a 318Ci though. :o

I'm a sucker for the E46 Coup shape.

Thinking of buying a 318Ci though.

Bit out of my price range I'm afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

TBH, you would be better off with Petrol, your going to spend more time sitting in traffic and driving at lower speeds heading into and out of work. Since you will be heading away every couple of weekends, I would look at a 1.8 petrol car, say like a Mondeo or Avensis. You would get a 2008 Mondeo for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Bit out of my price range I'm afraid!

Not the one I'm looking at; you'd buy it, insure it, tax it and run it for a good two years for the money you are talking about spending. ;)

Buy the car, not the number plate!

Advertisement