Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strive Disco

Options
  • 10-09-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Well,first disco last night for first and second years,so age was 12-14 years.By all accounts they had a great time,I've no problem with this at all.What I do have a problem with is 10 euro in unless you pre-paid and then it was 8 euro.Ok,10euro,dear but thats the price,then to charge the "children" 2euro for minding their coats is just taking the mickey!!!There is a recessuion on and peer pressure to go to something like this is huge,am I just a moan??,.
    So to go to a disco it would be 8-10euro in,2 for your coat or jacket,which incidentally if they were all left hanging around the dance floor and steps would be a huge safety risk,another euro for a slushy drink or 1.50 for ordinary drink,which they need as it's very hot.So,15 euro really,I just think it's alot,even though in my case it will not be a regular event.Whats anyones thought's ,am I a miserable miser???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Yep and no... It's either 15 euro at Strive or 15 cans of Chundermeiser down the south beach like most 14years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

What is 'Strive'? (info to know before I reply!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Strive Disco at Greystones Theatre
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFpJpHcky48

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Hmmmm wasn't aware of 14year olds drinking down at south beach.This age group is 12-14.That's a very sad alternative really.

Most 14 year olds are not on the South beach drinking. Its unfair to say that most 14 year olds are drinking.

• Advertisement

Totally agree pixbyjohn,I know quite alot of 14 year olds and they certainly don't go drinking on the southbeach.This was not what my post was about.I don't agree that it's pay 15 euro for a disco or they will be down the beach drinking.A little bit unfair really.A few kids didnt have extra 2 euro to put their jackets in to cloak room,I know one who lost her jacket,didnt hear if she got it back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how long was this disco? - €15 doesn't sound outrageous for a night out in a proper venue (I assume GT have to hire security, bar staff, DJ etc). how much would a trip to the cinema cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

snowbabe wrote: »
    Well,first disco last night for first and second years,so age was 12-14 years.By all accounts they had a great time,I've no problem with this at all.What I do have a problem with is 10 euro in unless you pre-paid and then it was 8 euro.Ok,10euro,dear but thats the price,then to charge the "children" 2euro for minding their coats is just taking the mickey!!!There is a recessuion on and peer pressure to go to something like this is huge,am I just a moan??,.
    So to go to a disco it would be 8-10euro in,2 for your coat or jacket,which incidentally if they were all left hanging around the dance floor and steps would be a huge safety risk,another euro for a slushy drink or 1.50 for ordinary drink,which they need as it's very hot.So,15 euro really,I just think it's alot,even though in my case it will not be a regular event.Whats anyones thought's ,am I a miserable miser???

Sounds very annoying, but not in the least bit surprising. We always take the opportunity to rip each other off here. Greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 littlemouse

hi, as one of you said that you heard one of them lost their jacket?
    ye thats was me .. i had no more money left and they wudn let me put it in :/
    it was abercrombie also.. im pretty sure someone stole it

Name one niteclub where they don't charge for the cloakroom.

Little mouse did you at least enjoy the disco?

• Advertisement

blandpebbles,of course they charge for coats,but 2 euro for a first/second year disco???,littlemouse probably did enjoy it but is now minus her abercrombie jacket,they wouldnt let her put it in as she'd no money left!!!!!Not really good enough,it is not just any niteclub,it is a local teenage disco.
    Whether she enjoyed it or not is not the question here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Teenage discos have been that price for years. When I was that age (6 years ago) they were that price or more. €15 for a night out isn't too bad tbh, if they were going to the cinema it would cost just as much.

Snow babe, so if you have no money you should get it for free? Perhaps nit bringing an expensive jacket to disco with no money for the cloakroom would be wiser. As previous poster says been these type of charges since the Dawn of the clubs... Maybe less nimbyism and more planning for a night out would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

totally agree bland. the no-name disco in bray about 20 years ago used to charge £2 for the cloakroom and that was in the early 90's. if you can afford to go to the disco, to have nice clothes to wear, get a couple of soft drinks, get credit on your phone to text your folks to pick you up or else pay for the bus home then i dont think its unreasonable to expect to pay a couple of euro to have your coat kept safe all night.

My point was not that I should have got the cloakroom for free!!!!!You seem to forget these children were aged 12-14,for alot of them it was their first disco,they didnt know what to expect.And yes,If I was a cloak room attendant and a girl asked me to mind her jacket as she didnt have money of course I would have taken it in!!!!,It's a long time since I went to a teenage club,I was just saying was it too much.Obviously it is not by all the lovely replies.
    Little mouse ,am sorry you lost your jacket,I am sure you can claim off insurance ,as I'm sure disco is insured for loss and theft?Perhaps someone may be able to help with more details regards this,as I not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

snowbabe wrote: »
    My point was not that I should have got the cloakroom for free!!!!!You seem to forget these children were aged 12-14,for alot of them it was their first disco,they didnt know what to expect.And yes,If I was a cloak room attendant and a girl asked me to mind her jacket as she didnt have money of course I would have taken it in!!!!,It's a long time since I went to a teenage club,I was just saying was it too much.Obviously it is not by all the lovely replies.
    Little mouse ,am sorry you lost your jacket,I am sure you can claim off insurance ,as I'm sure disco is insured for loss and theft?Perhaps someone may be able to help with more details regards this,as I not too sure.

There have been plenty of times when I have been out, paid in to somewhere and not had money for a cloakroom. Why should the attendant mind it for free? If they do then everyone will expect to get it for free and I highly doubt it is the person manning the cloakroom who decides the price. If they do it depending on the manager there's also a chance they could get fired. I wouldn't take that risk if it was me.

It's simple, if you don't have enough to check a jacket it, keep a close eye on it at all times. Everyone is responsible for their own belongings. You honestly can't expect the insurance of the venue to pay for a new jacket? It was the individuals mistake for leaving it unattended. It may not be fair but it's how the world works!

Come on now, commonsense should prevail. It was a children's/teens disco. Surely it wouldn't have broke the bank of the organisers to allow a coat or 2 to be minded for free. Where has all this goodwill gone ? Has the Celtic Tiger taken away everything which is good and left us with a community that has to be paid for every little thing. My 3 "kids" are long past being teenagers so it doesn't directly affect me but a bit of give and take surely won't hurt anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

okay on my part, apologies - i think i misunderstood the average age there, id assumed a bit older (14+) - didnt realise it was a younger crowd. post withdrawn :)

What parent sends their child to a disco with not enough money to hang their coat? I guess the type who likes to embarrass them and expects them to beg for a freebie.

Or heaven forfend the child actually spent the money before going in... Should they get a freebie?

Get real folks, the prices are set, ensure your kids are prepared.. That's common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What parent sends their child to a disco with not enough money to hang their coat? I guess the type who likes to embarrass them and expects them to beg for a freebie.

Or heaven forfend the child actually spent the money before going in... Should they get a freebie?

Get real folks, the prices are set, ensure your kids are prepared.. That's common sense.

They didn't know the prices were set!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

I shake my head in disbelief. The hard attitude and lack of compassion by some on this issue is sad. Completely contrary to all that this country is known and respected for internationally.

Hmmmm indeed,don't be too surprised darter,I suppose it's different if you are actually a parent.most parents don't send their children out without enough money.As was said in several posts it was the first disco,and the ages of the children were clearly stated.No-One knew what to expect.Anyway they now know the cloakroom is 2 euro,so they won't have to beg for a freebie,even if god forbid they spent the money before:)Alot of parents dropped these children to the door.Anyway,just asked for an opinion ,thanks for all the replies,varied as they were.It is a shame though that we are clearly missing something.

darter wrote: »
    I shake my head in disbelief. The hard attitude and lack of compassion by some on this issue is sad. Completely contrary to all that this country is known and respected for internationally.

Thankfully the hard attitude and lack of compassion is not shared by all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Hard = no freebies? No wonder we have such a grabby, greed ridden society(which is what we are known for internationally).

I have family who went to this disco and strangely enough they knew how much it was in and the cloakroom. How odd. If you did drop your kids to the door wouldn't you ask them to check the price?

Oh well I guess poor parenting seems to be being passed off as grrr those greedy disco promoters...

Oh well I guess poor parenting seems to be being passed off as grrr those greedy disco promoters...

Please don't insult other members again by suggesting they are poor or bad parents

Terry Pratchet

Please don't insult other members again by suggesting they are poor or bad parents

Where is the warning for implying I am a hard person and lacking compassion? Please try to provide fair and balanced moderation. Contributing to one argument against another is not moderation.

Where is the warning for implying I am a hard person and lacking compassion? Please try to provide fair and balanced moderation. Contributing to one argument against another is not moderation.

Send me a pm with any issues. As per the charter I won't be discussing this on the thread.

Terry Pratchet

oh,my!!!Perhaps your family had inside knowledge .As far as I'm aware the cloakroom was not advertised anywhere.Correct me if I am wrong,drinks etc were advertised alright.I think perhaps we are going off topic.My intentions were not to blame anyone as in first post.Sorry you are taking things up wrong.But thank you anyway for your point of view and opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Since time bagan young people,teens,young adults,adults etc have been losing items of clothing on a night out and in latter years phones can be added to it. It has been ongoing and probably will continue to be. - this is all part of the picture of life -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Where is the warning for implying I am a hard person and lacking compassion?

I was very careful to be totally non-specific in my comment - not only because I did not want to fall foul of the board rules but also because some obviously are living on a different planet from me.

But Blandpebbles, if you think the cap fits, then wear it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement