Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford to Cork rail line.

Options
  • 10-09-2011 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

to the west of Waterford near the village of Stradbally is a tunnel carved out of the hills that hosted the Cork to Waterford rail line. This line has great historical significance to this state, It was blown up just after the Civil war as you can see in the Video. It's in poor shape now, but not beyond repair, We have lots of guys on Welfare now, This could be a project worth while and has many beneficial aspects, such as tourism. But even if just for National pride, this should be brought back to it's former glory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lemon_Drop

When I seen the title, I thought you were selling Diet Products or an Advert for a Gym.
    I think waiste should be spelt waste :rolleyes:

But having said that, Nice Video, its a shame that the railway from Waterford to Cork was ever scrapped for whatever reason.
    A whole section of Munster without a alternative means or transport now except the roads.
    Looking at a program a few weeks ago, on the revival or the Canals, I cant remember if it was an Irish Program or English.

But I suspect its the same in both countries, were the canals were again opened up for tourist and pleasure craft.

Sadly with the removal of the railroad tracks, that option is a dead duck.
    Probably sold as scrap at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

waterford and cork city were never directly linked by railway

Not beyond repair? It was closed and lifted in 1967 except for a small part between Waterford and Ballinacourty to feed a magnesite plant. The plant closed in 1982 and the remaining part was lifted in 1998. So it's pretty much all gone. If you look at the River Suir in Waterford city you can still see the bridge, part of the span was removed and chucked in a yard beside the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

samsham wrote: »

to the west of Waterford near the village of Stradbally is a tunnel carved out of the hills that hosted the Cork to Waterford rail line. This line has great historical significance to this state, It was blown up just after the Civil war as you can see in the Video. It's in poor shape now, but not beyond repair, We have lots of guys on Welfare now, This could be a project worth while and has many beneficial aspects, such as tourism. But even if just for National pride, this should be brought back to it's former glory.

Great idea but the Co Council can't even turn it into a public footpath (Killmac - Dungarvan) due to the local farmers link but its an old story thats been discussed before. Anyone got any new info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

It is a damn shame that a decent motorway wasn't built between Waterford and Cork when this country was pissing money down the drain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Aside from a couple of missing by-passes the N25 isn't a bad road at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It is a damn shame that a decent motorway wasn't built between Waterford and Cork when this country was pissing money down the drain.

Take Killeagh and Castlemarthyr out of the road and a stretch between the turn off for Bridgie Terries and the Dungarvan Golf Club, the N25 is not a bad road from Waterford to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

As far as I know the planned (in the 1850s) Waterford to Cork Railway line only went as far as Youghal from the Cork side and as far as Dungarvan on the Waterford side. The piece in between Youghal and Dungarvan was never built. So there never was a rail link from Cork to Waterford (unless you went via Limerick Junction)

Raggaroo wrote: »
    As far as I know the planned (in the 1850s) Waterford to Cork Railway line only went as far as Youghal from the Cork side and as far as Dungarvan on the Waterford side. The piece in between Youghal and Dungarvan was never built. So there never was a rail link from Cork to Waterford (unless you went via Limerick Junction)

There actually was but it didn't go via Youghal. It diverged at Mallow and went via Fermoy.

174288.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

noby wrote: »
    Aside from a couple of missing by-passes the N25 isn't a bad road at all.
    Deise 2012 wrote: »
    Take Killeagh and Castlemarthyr out of the road and a stretch between the turn off for Bridgie Terries and the Dungarvan Golf Club, the N25 is not a bad road from Waterford to Cork.

Too many twisting bends on it that make travelling on it an absolute chore when you have imbeciles overtaking risking the lives of all around them. This is usually caused by micras and horse boxes crawling at 20mph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

Thats because it did not go to Yaughal it went via Cappoquin on the Bridge
    5483951688_d347326d74.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

you are very much wrong.
    1) the youghal/dungarvan bit was sort of a problem as there are some very hilly areas along that route so a long round about route would be needed.
    2) There was a rail link from waterford- dungarvan-mallow, and then onto cork via the current mainline. Its just that cureently the only route is via LJ.

The tunnel the OP talks of is Durrow tunnel and it is accesible being near the road and still possible to walk throught it though you will need yer wellies. I did it a few years back.

The blown up section is ballyvoyle viaduct near stradbally.

In addition the OPs proposal is nothing short of wishful thinking - where on earth is the money gonna come from eh? Where will the demand be? there are only small towns along the route and much of it is already served by motorways and the rest of the road network is pretty alright. The N"% road is a faily good standard for most of its length. Pipedream methinks.

you are very much wrong.
    1) the youghal/dungarvan bit was sort of a problem as there are some very hilly areas along that route so a long round about route would be needed.
    2) There was a rail link from waterford- dungarvan-mallow, and then onto cork via the current mainline. Its just that cureently the only route is via LJ.

The tunnel the OP talks of is Durrow tunnel and it is accesible being near the road and still possible to walk throught it though you will need yer wellies. I did it a few years back.

In addition the OPs proposal is nothing short of wishful thinking - where on earth is the money gonna come from eh? Where will the demand be? there are only small towns along the route and much of it is already served by motorways and the rest of the road network is pretty alright. The N"% road is a faily good standard for most of its length. Pipedream methinks.

I am not over familiar with the route, but would it be possible at the time the line was built to cut off for Youghal from Cappoquin down the Blackwater Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I am not over familiar with the route, but would it be possible at the time the line was built to cut off for Youghal from Cappoquin down the Blackwater Valley.

No, Youghal was a terminus with no plans to extend to Cappoquin, But construction had started on a line from Midleton to Fermoy but was then cancelled.

charlemont wrote: »
    No, Youghal was a terminus with no plans to extend to Cappoquin, But construction had started on a line from Midleton to Fermoy but was then cancelled.

Was not talking about not, was refering to when the lines were first build back in the 1800's or whenever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

The two are a short walk from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Was not talking about not, was refering to when the lines were first build back in the 1800's or whenever.
    :o

Advertisement