Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice appreciated !!

• 10-09-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just sold my T2 Bay window campervan and am looking to get a motorhome.

I've been to see quite a few. Most were rubbish to be honest.

I had a look at a 6 berth 97 Ford Transit Elnagh today.

The interior is spotless and everything works, the chassis, wheel arches and floors are rust free, the engine is running well and the brakes are good. I couldn't find any signs of damp anywhere but at the floor in the rear offside corner where the bumper had got a knock and moisture was getting in. Nothing major and easily repaired.

There's a small bit of rust on the drivers door but as a VW veteran i'm not concerened and can repair it easily myself.

Just wondering am i missing anything and is there something else I should be checking ? Are Transit MH's generally OK ?

Any advice anyone can offer this first timer would be much appreciated !!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

check the front brakes ,discs rot inside , and also the rears rarely get attention . Shocks get weak on them too , and the propshaft bearings can go , as can the ratchet on the self adjusting clutch mechanism . Check and see if it has a throttle cable , or is fly by wire , the FBW is a very troublesome pump , and costs a grand to be put right .They're a bit of an auld tractor compared to the equivalent Ducato . the Non Turbo is pretty dead too , and not too easy on juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Thanks Aidan.

I think i'll pass on this one.

Shame though cause the interior was perfect for us.

Advertisement